FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

The right way to do it is to draft a guy.  Not sign a guy who the Cowboys didn't think was worth 2.75 million dollars.  

You need to do both. And the cowboys cut him because they were right up against the cap. I’d pay him double that to play the same role he did with the Cowboys (situational pass rusher). 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

You need to do both. And the cowboys cut him because they were right up against the cap. I’d pay him double that to play the same role he did with the Cowboys (situational pass rusher). 

Right, but why cut him as opposed to another guy who can save them money?  If we pay this guy double, you might as well bring Ijalana back and pay him 5 mil too.  This dude has 6 sacks two years ago and has never eclipsed 1 sack in a different year, despite playing 200+ snaps most years.  I'll take him at the right price and take a chance on him, but nearly 6 mil a year is not the right price.  We need to be honest with ourselves.  Yes, our pass rush blows, but we'd be better off targeting a guy like Trent Murphy who has proven his worth and will come at a good price than this guy.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You just said let’s draft an edge. With what pick? You want to trade up for a QB. Odds are stacked against us finding a 10+ sack guy in the mid Rounds.

2nd round?  And statistically, you have a better chance of finding a good edge rusher in the middle rounds than you do of finding a good QB in the middle rounds.  Also, i'm still on the Trent Murphy train.

Edited by barnaby8787

1 minute ago, Bianconero said:

I think what's being said is that we have a lot of money so we should be trying to find as many diamonds in the rough as possible, which I agree with

Nothing hurts

Which i'm cool with at the right price, but we have to manage expectations as well

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Which i'm cool with at the right price, but we have to manage expectations as well

That's fair

And this isn't directed towards you or anyone, just a general statement:

We need to get talent through the door; who cares if we overspend $2M+ a year on a guy

Get talent here, develop a culture and let's build this organization

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Right, but why cut him as opposed to another guy who can save them money?  If we pay this guy double, you might as well bring Ijalana back and pay him 5 mil too.  This dude has 6 sacks two years ago and has never eclipsed 1 sack in a different year, despite playing 200+ snaps most years.  I'll take him at the right price and take a chance on him, but nearly 6 mil a year is not the right price.  We need to be honest with ourselves.  Yes, our pass rush blows, but we'd be better off targeting a guy like Trent Murphy who has proven his worth and will come at a good price than this guy.

Why can’t you sign both? You also realize Murphy is suspended for 4 games? And idk, they just franchise tagged Lawrence and are paying him $17M this year... resource allocation theory means cut a player at the same position to lower the money spent at that position. He was the 15th highest paid player and the only one without substantial dead money outside of Martin and Witten... 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Why can’t you sign both? You also realize Murphy is suspended for 4 games? And idk, they just franchise tagged Lawrence and are paying him $17M this year... resource allocation theory means cut a player at the same position to lower the money spent at that position. He was the 15th highest paid player and the only one without substantial dead money outside of Martin and Witten... 

I'm cool signing both, but I just can't substantiate paying this guy 5.5 million. I know we sometimes have to overpay for guys, but i'd rather take that extra 2-3 mil that he's actually worth and throw it Robinson's way, Cousins' way, etc.

4 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I'm cool signing both, but I just can't substantiate paying this guy 5.5 million. I know we sometimes have to overpay for guys, but i'd rather take that extra 2-3 mil that he's actually worth and throw it Robinson's way, Cousins' way, etc.

Double is a bit exaggerated. I placed his value at $3.5M in my mock, and that is what I would be comfortable signing him to. 

Edited by jetskid007