The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

The Vikings haven’t had a 1,000-yard receiver since Sidney Rice in 2009, the longest drought in the NFL. That’s about to change. Adam Thielen could do it Thursday in a nationally televised, Thanksgiving game at Detroit’s Ford Field. He has 916 receiving yards in 10 games of the season, second best in the NFL.

Ahmad Rashad: “I will have just one word for him when he does: ‘Welcome.’ ”

On 28 occasions, Vikings receivers have caught passes for at least 1,000 yards. Five did it more than once: Cris Carter (eight), Randy Moss (six), Jake Reed (four), Anthony Carter (three) and Rashad (two).

Between 1979-2004, the Vikings had eight players reach the mark a total of 26 times, but it was five more years before Rice got there with 1,312 yards in 2009 — and nobody else since.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/22/adam-thielen-on-verge-of-breaking-vikings-1000-yard-receiving-drought/

9 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

On pace for well over 1,400 yards. When is the last time we had a 1,400 yard receiver?

Also, when is the last time we had TWO 1,000 yard receivers?

I'd guess Moss for 1400 and Carter/Reed for 2 1,000 yard receivers.

i don't think Diggs gets there. He's not been much of a factor the last three weeks in terms of yardage.

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd guess Moss for 1400 and Carter/Reed for 2 1,000 yard receivers.

i don't think Diggs gets there. He's not been much of a factor the last three weeks in terms of yardage.

Really it just takes one game of double coverage on Adam, and single coverage on Diggs, for Diggs to go off and he would be in the thick of that threshold.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:08 PM, vike daddy said:

there was no safety playing near Treadwell, so i'd say that outcome was pretty much known.

did you watch the play?

I read posters here state that the throw underneath happened before Treadwell broke free deep.  I wonder why they didn't throw at all to Treadwell today.  They aren't going to 'develop' him that way, and are just throwing too much at Thielen, who, um, breached 1,000 yds today, and Diggs, and Rudolph.  It seems though, that those three have had enough 'development' and should step aside for Treadwell and Coley and Adams to 'develop'.

Please describe the play in detail, step by step, to show where I erred in my comment.

5 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Please describe the play in detail, step by step, to show where I erred in my comment.

just go back in this thread and watch the provided video, like everyone else did before they made comments analyzing it.

in it, you'll see that Treadwell was single covered by a cornerback, was breaking away from him and moving closer to Keenum, and there was no safety within ten yards or so. making your comment about deep safety blah blah blah meaningless.

this is another of the many situations where you take a stand and argue for the sake of doing so, not because of any valid football related reason.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

just go back in this thread and watch the provided video, like everyone else did before they made comments analyzing it.

in it, you'll see that Treadwell was single covered by a cornerback, was breaking away from him and moving closer to Keenum, and there was no safety within ten yards or so. making your comment about deep safety blah blah blah meaningless.

this is another of the many situations where you take a stand and argue for the sake of doing so, not because of any valid football related reason.

Read the post by CriminalMind, immediately after your post.  The quick read is the safer read.... Keenum doesn't know what will happen deep when he throws the ball to the underneath receiver.  The deeper throw is always a lower percentage throw.

On 11/21/2017 at 6:10 PM, Worm Guts said:

So the the primary receiver was open and he completed the pass for a first down. I’m not sure why this is an issue. This just feels so agenda driven 

Correct.  Agenda driven/ bias toward the QB who performs well.  Coaches haven't seen this type of decision making as faulty and benched him. 

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

my point was there was no safety anywhere near the play, as you stated there was.

I saw a vid with a DB near enough to a deep route running receiver, but don't know if that was the play in question.  Several others (Worm Guts, CriminalMind) have simply stated the QB took the easy 1st down throw. Do you have a problem with that over a less certain deeper throw, whether the safety is close or not? 

Thielen joined the 1,000-yard class with a 16-yard grab from Case Keenum with 11:27 left in the game. It was his final catch of the day and his 70th of the season, breaking his previous career high of 69 set last year. In Thursday’s 30-23 win over Detroit at Ford Field, he had eight catches for 89 yards and now has 1,005 yards this season. The last Minnesota player to reach 1,000 receiving yards was Sidney Rice with 1,312 eight years ago.

Diggs: “It’s remarkable. Since I’ve been here, Adam's been one guy I have the utmost respect for, and I love him. That’s my brother. That’s more than just my teammate. And to see him hit that 1,000-yard mark is just like, it’s like your brother graduating from college.”

Thielen: “I think when I’m done playing, I’ll be able to look back at statistical things like that. But right now, it’s too fun to keep winning, and it doesn’t really matter.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/23/teammates-laud-adam-thielen-after-becoming-first-viking-with-1000-receiving-yards-since-2009/

Archived