Top 5 Most Disappointing Steelers of 2017

JustPlainNasty

20 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So we worsened our draft position for a player that had an average impact and likely wont be on the team next season. Seems wasteful to me. I hope Vance is back and i dont personally view TE as a significant need. Coul we upgrade? Absolutely but i like what we have in James and McDonald if he stays. I just dont agree with continuing to make trades for stopgap players 

I think you are reaching with your disappointment in this move. Draft boards are all over the place at this point. Had they given up an early 4th I could understand some concern.

Our TEs are very average, but the needs of this defense far outweigh the concerns at the TE position to go along with all of our receiving weapons. The bigger issue with TE is none of them really add anything to blocking, James is regressing if anything back to his awful PSU days. He just exhibits little desire to block. 

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

So we worsened our draft position for a player that had an average impact and likely wont be on the team next season. Seems wasteful to me. I hope Vance is back and i dont personally view TE as a significant need. Coul we upgrade? Absolutely but i like what we have in James and McDonald if he stays. I just dont agree with continuing to make trades for stopgap players 

Most 4th round players dont even make an impact at all.

Not saying youre completely off base here, but the Steelers are in win now mode, and if they think a player can help them win, they will take the chance.    McDonald actually had a pretty nice impact when he was healthy.  

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

43M, youre not wrong. However, Josh Scobee, Justin Gilbert, and Sharmarko Thomas should all be reasons to not be wasting picks. If we are going to trade picks it should be to really improve.our team

trading away picks  for players that don't play and then not hitting on RD1 picks will eventually lead to a decline. This is a year where UFA could help, but if we sign bell, expect no UFA's on D since we run out of cap unless there is major restructures on many contracts.

17 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

trading away picks  for players that don't play and then not hitting on RD1 picks will eventually lead to a decline. This is a year where UFA could help, but if we sign bell, expect no UFA's on D since we run out of cap unless there is major restructures on many contracts.

Getting rid of Mitchell alone opens up something like $5 or $6M if not more.  I expect Justin Hunter, William Gay, Vance McDonald, Eli Rogers and possibly Martavis Bryant to be lost to FA/cut.  If we see Restructures with Brown, Tuitt, and Heyward that'll open up more.  We're not going to go get "big names" out of FA.  I think, hope, they learned their less with LaDarius Green.

Archived