DB424 Second Mock Draft

diamondbull424

RD 1. Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU: 

6’3” 218 lbs, 32 3/8” arms, 9 3/4” hands

4.54 forty, 35.5” vertical, 10’4” ft Broad, 6.57s 3-cone, 4.11 short shuttle.

12 games, 68 recs, 1085 yards, 16.0 ypc, 12 TDs

Pro Comparison: Allen Robinson

The Ravens are picking at pick #16 in the first round. Therefore any player we take should be possessed of the ability to develop into a good #1 receiver, which I define as 1250+ yds receiving and 8+ TDs.

No receiver in this class has a higher potential to reach that level than Sutton. At this stage in his development he’s a walking OPI machine. He has elite COD ability for a big receiver, but is very inconsistent in using it. He lacks the deep speed to truly separate, so is more of a 50/50 ball receiver. Going back to the tape, Sutton saw much more double teams than did Moore, Ridley, and Kirk. This is due to opposing defenses respecting his ability to dominate in 1on1 situations.

In his rookie season Sutton should carve out a small role, seeing time in the slot and in the “x” receiver role. I could see him grabbing 35 receptions for 525 yds and 3 TDs. Making some big plays that gets the fan base excited all the while taking time to develop his technique and consistency.

RD 2. Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia

5’11” 227 lbs, 32” arms, 9 5/8” hands

4.52 forty, 38.5” vertical, 10’8” ft Broad, 7.09s 3-cone, 4.25 short shuttle.

15 games, 223 rush, 1345 yards, 6.03 ypc, 15 TDs

Player Comparison: Johnathan Stewart

Even when the RB position seemed as though it might be somewhat stabilized with Justin Forsett, there was talk that the Ravens were highly interested in taking Ezekiel Elliot in 2016. Ozzie/DeCosta have stated on record that they wouldn’t be against adding a “special” back to their group.

That special back is Nick Chubb. Chubb has been able to produce on both power scheme and zone scheme runs. He’s a patient runner that packs power. Chubb was such a dangerous runner that teams would load 8 to 9 guys in the box to stop him before he got going. While many will remember Sony Michel for his excellent playoff performances, Chubb is the more dominant runner. He consistently had insane numbers for yards after contact. He’s a workhorse back that would be the ideal man for the power scheme that we run. He would be a fast thunder to Alex Collins lightning. Lastly Chubb, like Stewart has quality hands, he simply lacks the agility to be elusive in the open field, he will succeed with power not agility.

RD 3. Martinas Rankin, OL, Miss St.

6’4” 308 lbs, 33 3/4” arms, 10 1/8” hands

Player Comparison: Michael Oher

Rankin is my fourth rated OT in this class, he has great position flexibility. Ultimately I think his best position might be inside at guard, where I believe he has elite potential, however at RT I think he will have pro bowl potential. He’s a plug and play option but should compete with a veteran for the position.

Rankin could fall a little bit because there are more athletic options to man the LT position that teams will likely covet such as Brian Oniel, Chukwumu Okorafor, and Brandon Parker to name a few. Also he hasn’t worked out for teams and that gives the Ravens a chance to target SEC country.

RD 4. Shaquem Griffin, WILB, UCF

6’0” 227 lbs, 32 1/8” arms, 9” hand

4.38 forty, 9’9” ft Broad, 20 bench reps

13 games, 74 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 7 sacks, 1 Int

Player Comparison: Jon Beason

Griffin was made to be a Raven. Hearing his story, seeing his passion on the field, his athleticism. Shaquem will compete for the WILB spot with Peanut and in the end should upgrade the position. Griffin is an excellent form tackler consistently wrapping up. He has the fluidity in coverage and the athleticism to go sideline to sideline. Sure he might not be ideal at taking on blocks, but limitations have never stopped him before and that’s also why we have as many big guys up front as we do. Griffin should pair with CJ Mosley to form a really good LB duo.

RD 5. Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin

6’5” 247 lbs, 34 1/8” arms, 10 1/4” hands

12 games, 46 recs, 547 yards, 11.9 ypc, 4 TDs, Big 10 TE of the Year

Player Comparison: Brent Celek

Not overly athletic but is a willing blocker, has quality size, and really good hands. He can make plays when relied upon. Even with crappy QB play, he found a way to consistently make plays and be one of the top receiving options within the Badgers offense.

RD 6. Dorian O’Daniel, LB, Clemson

6’1” 223 lbs, 31 1/8” arms, 9” hands

4.62 forty, 32” vertical, 9’11” ft Broad, 6.64s 3-cone, 4.07 short shuttle.

13 games, 88 Tkls, 11 TFL, 5 sacks, 2 Ints, 2 TDs

Player Comparison: Brenden Ayanbadejo

O’Daniel has superb athleticism and along with Peanut and Griffin, they should all be competing to upgrade that WILB position. In addition to athleticism and high productivity in his final season at Clemson, O’Daniel was consistently a leader on the special teams unit for Clemson. This will endear him to Harbaugh and Rosburg especially.

RD 6. Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis

6’3” 212 lbs, 30 7/8” arms, 9 5/8” hands

4.98 forty, 29” vertical, 9’2” ft Broad, 6.96s 3-cone, 4.4 short shuttle.

13 games, 299/447 - 4257 yards, 9.0 avg, 38 TDs/9 Int

Ferguson just makes a lot of sense for the Ravens. Their are other QBs that would likely present a better fit (Kyle Lauletta) but will ultimately go one to two rounds higher. Ferguson has a good resume that he brings to the table. His flaws (happy feet and staring down receivers) are similar flaws as Flacco. Ferguson should get an opportunity to compete for the backup spot, but more likely will be on the practice squad.

RD 7. Bradley Bozeman, OC, Alabama

6’5” 298 lbs, 27 Bench, 2nd Team All American

Pro Comparison: Ben Jones

Bozeman didn’t get a combine invite. Which says to me that he might be a longer shot to make the draft than I’d expect. Ozzie goes out with a bang. Takes an Alabama player with his last pick ever as GM of the Ravens. Makes sense.

On another note, Bozeman has a nice anchor and at his proday showed that he can slip down some weight wise as well. He should get an opportunity to compete with Skura for the starting center position.

I think Ranking gives up way to much ground almost every time I see him. His athleticism and feet then makes him capable of recovering which is a good thing. Depending on who is available at tackle, i wouldn't be unhappy with him.

Otherwise, I like the Moore/Chubb combo better. They have the Frank Gore ability to always fall forward when tackled and gain 1-2 extra yards.

21 hours ago, Danand said:

I think Ranking gives up way to much ground almost every time I see him. His athleticism and feet then makes him capable of recovering which is a good thing. Depending on who is available at tackle, i wouldn't be unhappy with him.

Otherwise, I like the Moore/Chubb combo better. They have the Frank Gore ability to always fall forward when tackled and gain 1-2 extra yards.

Yeah, I think I’m probably one of the biggest fans of Tyrell Crosby as a player. If he somehow falls to the 3rd round and is available, he would be my pick in a heart beat. I think he has the ability to be an elite RT at the next level. That said, I was also a big fan of Rankin. He’s not an elite player athletically, but he’s very solid in his technique and shows some personality every now and again after some blocks. Ultimately, I think he doesn’t have ideal length to ever be a great RT, but I think he can be on par to what we had in Rick Wagner.

I view Rankin as a similar player to Yanda. Extremely versatile up and down the OL whose best fit is guard where length won’t be as much of a concern and he can focus more on strengthening his base. I always thought the same of Michael Oher. Rankin reminded me of Oher when watching the tape. Same with Chukwumu Okorafor. Though Rankin seemed to be more cerebral and reminded me of Oher minus the false starts.

In terms of DJ Moore vs Courtland Sutton. I don’t disagree with a preference for Moore. I’m sure I might go back to leaning towards that direction. That being said, I do think there is something to be said about Sutton’s ceiling as more of a high level z or x receiver on the outside. Granted I think Moore has a higher ceiling, but I think it’s a safer bet that Sutton will reach his ceiling, which I see as a more focused version of Dwayne Bowe (I don’t see Sutton trying to launch a rap career anytime soon). What’s more I think their shared farming background would pair nicely from a bonding level with both Chubb and Sutton. I also like Sutton learning from a guy like Crabtree as I think it could aid in him reaching his potential faster because of their similarities.

All that said, I’ll probably change my mind back to Moore at some point, but we’ll see. Either way, I just think picking 16th overall, we need the receiver we walk away with to be a pretty sure bet to turn into at least a perennial 1000 yd receiving threat.

From what I have seen, Rankin has some technique issues which need to be corrected. I don't care that much about lenght/height/girth etc. But I see Rankin often being driven 2-3 yards back at the college level, which makes me fear a bit for his anchor at the NFL level.

Archived