Forum by Forum Mock Draft - Pick 12

Jason_Bengal_Fl

2 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

I get what you are saying, but I still believe the Giants take a QB at #2. Manning's replacement will never be cheaper and that organization has always had their act together, making wise, long term decisions. The timing is close to perfect for them and they realistically won't expect to have a #2 pick again for at least 3+ years if they neglect the QB this year. They've seen all these other teams, including the Bills, struggle for extended periods of time without a quality franchise QB. I don't believe they will make that mistake.

I can see them doing that but heres the thing though since Aaron Rodgers was drafted by Green Bay, only one team has moved up or drafted a qb high in the 1st round to replace their long time starting qb and that was KC this year. So in 12 years only one team has actually used their draft picks to land a back up qb to sit behind a starting qb to be the guy in waiting. Everyone else was essentially thrown in to the fire at some point in their 1st year. Eli was super pissed when he got benched during a meaningless time and struggled from it. If you want him to be your guy for the next couple years he will mentally shut down and collect a pay check if a guy is riding the pine ready to take your spot the moment you mess up and thats what they get with the 2nd overall pick media questioning if Eli is done and when will (Rookie QB) get the start. You may be right and take a qb at 2 causing a rift between eli and coaching staff or they do him right and get him the weapons he needs to be good again. Why wouldnt they trade eli to get the big cap off the books and collect a pick if they were looking at a qb at 2? Thats what is hanging me up on this. having a qb sit for 2-3 years would be nice but that is a luxury that most teams cannot afford especially knowing after 2 years eli retires they have to pay this qb rather then building up a squad with eli then moving up a year or 2 from now to get the longterm starter you need while being a contender in the process.

22 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I can see them doing that but heres the thing though since Aaron Rodgers was drafted by Green Bay, only one team has moved up or drafted a qb high in the 1st round to replace their long time starting qb and that was KC this year. So in 12 years only one team has actually used their draft picks to land a back up qb to sit behind a starting qb to be the guy in waiting. Everyone else was essentially thrown in to the fire at some point in their 1st year. Eli was super pissed when he got benched during a meaningless time and struggled from it. If you want him to be your guy for the next couple years he will mentally shut down and collect a pay check if a guy is riding the pine ready to take your spot the moment you mess up and thats what they get with the 2nd overall pick media questioning if Eli is done and when will (Rookie QB) get the start. You may be right and take a qb at 2 causing a rift between eli and coaching staff or they do him right and get him the weapons he needs to be good again. Why wouldnt they trade eli to get the big cap off the books and collect a pick if they were looking at a qb at 2? Thats what is hanging me up on this. having a qb sit for 2-3 years would be nice but that is a luxury that most teams cannot afford especially knowing after 2 years eli retires they have to pay this qb rather then building up a squad with eli then moving up a year or 2 from now to get the longterm starter you need while being a contender in the process.

I agree that that length of time on the bench does not make sense. I'm thinking there is one likely option though: Draft you QB of the future and sit him for a year, then trade or release Eli the following season. His 2019 dead cap is only 6.2 million...way cheaper than the 23.2 million Cap hit for keeping him. Obviously, they'd more likely want something in exchange, but if no one bites on that salary, 17 million in savings is hard to ignore.

Archived