Offseason Workout Discussion

bucsfan333

23 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Three things I need to see from the kicker this year

1.  I m okay with a miss here and there, but the meltdowns over a game or games has to stop.  

2.  75 % accuracy 40-49, 60 % or better from 50+

3.  Playing in the NFC South,  70 % touch back on kickoffs because the coverage sucked last season.

Some times I think my expectations are too high with these kickers.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Three things I need to see from the kicker this year

1.  I m okay with a miss here and there, but the meltdowns over a game or games has to stop.  

2.  75 % accuracy 40-49, 60 % or better from 50+

3.  Playing in the NFC South,  70 % touch back on kickoffs because the coverage sucked last season.

Some times I think my expectations are too high with these kickers.

Welp. The kick that ended practice was from 58 yards. I think the miss before it was the same distance. So he's at 50%.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Makes complete sense to me. Barber has earned the right to start. And he's worked on his body, trimming fat and getting faster/quicker.

Barber was fine last year.  If the dline is improved and the interior of the oline isnt let s play 4 guys, they ll be very competitive.  Heck, even with those issues last season, it was one groin punch then another how they would lose games in the 4th quarter.

Barber is Earnest Graham 2.0 and I m okay with it   I just hope Rodgers and Sims both dont make the roster.  I want 2 RB spots that are home run threats.

4 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Barber was fine last year.  If the dline is improved and the interior of the oline isnt let s play 4 guys, they ll be very competitive.  Heck, even with those issues last season, it was one groin punch then another how they would lose games in the 4th quarter.

Barber is Earnest Graham 2.0 and I m okay with it   I just hope Rodgers and Sims both dont make the roster.  I want 2 RB spots that are home run threats.

Unfortunately, I think Sims and Quizz both stick around this year. Unless Quizz somehow outperforms Sims as a blocker/receiver and Wilson is hands down our best return guy. Then maybe we cut Sims and keep Wilson as RB4/KR.

In a perfect world, Rojo figures everything out and becomes our third down guy. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

We've spent a lotta money this year. We're looking at about $10M next year, before (I think) factoring in whatever we roll over. We can save ~$20M more by cutting/trading DJax, Sweezy, and Gholston. Which might put us close to $50M if my math is right, and we can roll over the $9M we haven't used this year.

But things are tight now. Which we haven't seen since Gruden. It's crazy to have all this talent actually worth all this money.

12 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

We've spent a lotta money this year. We're looking at about $10M next year, before (I think) factoring in whatever we roll over. We can save ~$20M more by cutting/trading DJax, Sweezy, and Gholston. Which might put us close to $50M if my math is right, and we can roll over the $9M we haven't used this year.

But things are tight now. Which we haven't seen since Gruden. It's crazy to have all this talent actually worth all this money.

And depending on a contract for Jameis, those numbers will change a good amount as I believe 2019 is his last in this current contract.

33 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

And depending on a contract for Jameis, those numbers will change a good amount as I believe 2019 is his last in this current contract.

He'll actually be our highest paid player in 2019. Just above Evans' $20M. This is our last season of cheap Jameis.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He'll actually be our highest paid player in 2019. Just above Evans' $20M. This is our last season of cheap Jameis.

Hopefully, they win enough games so the cap will be a problem.  They havent had to use signing bonuses to pro rate contracts because they didn'  have enough top end talent to sign because the draft record has been so poor.  Hopefully, that is about to change.

10 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Hopefully, they win enough games so the cap will be a problem.  They havent had to use signing bonuses to pro rate contracts because they didn'  have enough top end talent to sign because the draft record has been so poor.  Hopefully, that is about to change.

I kinda like not using signing bonuses. It eliminates a big chunk of future guaranteed money. If we miss on a signing, we can move on in a year or two with no cap penalties.

43 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I kinda like not using signing bonuses. It eliminates a big chunk of future guaranteed money. If we miss on a signing, we can move on in a year or two with no cap penalties.

IMO, it s okay to use signing bonus to help navigate the cap with your own draftees.   Why?  In almost all cases, the organization has had that player for a minimum of 4 years.  By that time, they should have a pretty good idea on that player s compete level and health.  The Allen and Dom regimes were so bad drafting, not a lot of players earned good 2nd contracts.  So by having to rely more heavily in free agency, I agree guaranteeing the first 2 years is the more prudent way to go.  

The reason why the roster purge after the Super Bowl happened wasn't because of signing bonuses.   The last couple of drafts with McKay and Allen were below average.  The core of the team got too old and there werent enough first contract players to step in.  Why the Glazers couldnt figure out the poor draft record of Allen before signing him to an extension then firing him a year later, who knows.  

And then the Dark Ages known as the Dom era began.  ?

Archived