2018 FIFA World Cup Group E & Group F

LeeEvans

6 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I personally think that for the VAR to work quickly and seamlessly the video refs should be the ones who end up making the calls on VAR circumstances. Having the ref walk off the field and look at the screen is incredibly slow and just terrible. I understand not wanting to take power away from the head ref but it's the only way it will work imo.

I'm for VAR but agree with this.

1 minute ago, kempus said:

But, it's subjective when it's reviewed. There was a foul on Son, in the first half, that could have easily been called a pen. Why wasn't that reviewed?

Pretty much every decision is subjective ;)

I don't remember the incident you're referring to, but the answer would be that the designated VAR refs didn't think it was an incorrect decision made by the on-field ref.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

But the slow decisions haven't really blighted the WC so far. For me it's the inconsistency that's the biggest issue. It should be black or white.

Well its the video referees who suggest the ref look at the review, presumably their suggestions on what to review are based on what they're seeing no?

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

But the slow decisions haven't really blighted the WC so far. For me it's the inconsistency that's the biggest issue. It should be black or white.

That's more in reference to its use in domestic leagues, which has been slow at times.

And then there's the time the system completely glitched out in the Australian domestic league grand final and it therefore didn't correct the fact that the only goal of the game was clearly off side

Another VAR penalty.

Right or wrong, my prediction about penalty count shooting up is looking like a good one.

That's 7 penalties so far and we haven't even finished the first round of games.

2014 - 13

2010 - 15

2006 - 17

2002 - 18

3 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Pretty much every decision is subjective ;)

I don't remember the incident you're referring to, but the answer would be that the designated VAR refs didn't think it was an incorrect decision made by the on-field ref.

Not really. And I'm arguing anything deemed subjective should be left as the referee's decision.

If a player is 10 yards offside and the linesman misses it, or if somebody throws an attacker on the floor and the referee misses it, those should be overturned.

It works in cricket. If the decision is uncertain they leave it with the referee.

3 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Well its the video referees who suggest the ref look at the review, presumably their suggestions on what to review are based on what they're seeing no?

Yes, doesn't change anything. They review things a handful of times and still there is debate. 

23 minutes ago, kempus said:

But, as Tex said, it's too subjective. It's also sterilizing a sport in which those split second ref decisions make the game, for better or worse. I'm not sure VAR will ever be that streamlined. I experienced VAR at at Chinese League match. It was hilarious. There was an incident in the box and then literally 3 or more miniutes the ref blew to stop play. Nobody in the stadium had a clue what was going on. The most farcical thing I've ever experienced at a sports event. 

VAR doesn't make the sport any better, it's unnecessary. Decisions go both ways, it's those talking points and potential controversies that make Football what it is, imo. It doesn't need to be sterilized by an inefficient, subjective technology.

Decisions don't go "both ways". Thats just a slogan that has 0 basis in reality.

I understand the argument against VAR. Its simply that you value the fluidity of the game over the decisions being more acurate?  
I don't but people are perfectly entitled to have that opinion. 

But why not just say that? No need to twist the truth that things even themselves out when refs are left to preside over the game with no help. 

I'm waiting till one of these decisions has a major impact in a knockout round.

Semi final

Germany Vs Argentina

0-0 85 minutes

Messi goes down, ref waves away, VAR referee gives a debatable decision to Argentina, Messi scores, Germany out. Chaos ensues.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

Imagine if goalline technology was subjective. It's a sensor in the ball which decides, imagine if it was an extra official deciding.

Far too much grey area in VAR for me. 

I can see what you're saying but I would counter by saying that it gets rid of a lot of the grey that exists when theres no VAR. There are always going to be some subjective calls because there is a human element but I'm personally on the side of getting the most calls right that you can. 

I think the reviews have been pretty spot on. Maybe they should have reviewed some more instances but the things they have reviewed they have got right.

7 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:
12 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I can see what you're saying but I would counter by saying that it gets rid of a lot of the grey that exists when theres no VAR.

But now you're adding a new level of grey area.

Now it's not just "was that a penalty or not" it's now "was that a penalty" & "why didn't the referee review that decision".

If the ref makes a bad decision and they don't review it, it's like a double whammy.

You yourself were adamant the goal yesterday should have stood whereas lots of ex-Pros and referee's have said it should have been reviewed and reversed. I mean who's right?

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

But now you're adding a new level of grey area.

Now it's not just "was that a penalty or not" it's now "was that a penalty" & "why didn't the referee review that decision".

If the ref makes a bad decision and they don't review it, it's like a double whammy.

You yourself were adamant the goal yesterday should have stood whereas lots of ex-Pros and referee's have said it should have been reviewed and reversed. I mean who's right?

Me and Arsene obviously. 

Archived