Texans re-sign McKinney

ET80

Moved from offseason thread...

We got McKinney's extension done.  5 years / $50 million / $21 guaranteed.

I think he's a bit overrated by Texans fans as he's just a tackler (albeit a really really good one) who doesn't rush the passer, doesn't cause turnovers, and remains a disaster in coverage. However, he's durable, a good leader and tone setter and tackling RBs is still kinda a big deal especially with the Jags and Titans on the rise, so locking him up was probably a good move to keep the core of what is working (front 7) together.  Having Cunningham around to handle coverage makes me like McKinney a whole lot more, but I'm also not sure McKinney is $49.5 million better than Dylan Cole and I think Kalambayi is going to surprise people.  The deal puts McKinney just behind Kuechly who got 5 / $61 / $27, but aside from injury concerns Kuechly brings a whole lot more to the table. Gotta say, our history hasn't been great with big money deals for ILB's (Demeco then Cushing) so it's not without risk, but we've got cap to burn the next few seasons and we're basically just swapping him into the Cushing salary slot (6 / $58 / $31). 

Of course, Clowney is the big deal to finish up which I suspect may double this one, but quality pass rushers/disruptors are a whole lot harder to find than tacklers who essentially shave a few tenths off RBs yards per carry.  Heck, I wish we could just resign Watson to a 9 year deal now so we could keep luxuries like $50m ILBs around and add the real priorities like a #1 CB and LT.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23795982/houston-texans-lock-ilb-benardrick-mckinney-50m-extension

5 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Great deal for McKinney and the Texans! He has been a real bright spark for our D.

Apparently he is our first 2nd rounder to get a second contract since DeMeco Ryans.... thanks Rick Smith

Just as a reminder, Casserly picked Demeco, so Rick Smith didn't draft a single 2nd rounder he resigned in 11 drafts.  Jacoby and Fido are the only 3rd rounders he drafted and resigned.  Jacoby was cut a season later after tanking our playoff game with his 12th fumble and Fido was forced to retire a year after his deal.  Garrett Graham was the only 4th rounder he drafted to be resigned and he was cut after 2 more seasons. That we purported ourselves to be a "build thru the draft" franchise is one of the most laughable frauds sold to this fan base as justification to tolerate ownership failing to aggressively address obvious holes via free agency and build a complete team capable of any playoff success vs. staying in a perpetual state of expansion style build/rebuild.

What makes the 2nd round futility even worse was the decision to let 2nd round gift Connor Barwin walk in 2013 which along with letting rare 4th rounder success Glover Quin walk destroyed the soul of the defense and was a huge contributing factor (with Schaub's implosion and Arian's injury) to going from 12-4 to 2-14 in what will go down as one of the most horrific offseasons any GM has put together before he repeated it last offseason.  Ironically, he stepped into the Hopkins pick that offseason, just like he did with Watson last year.  Barwin is actually probably a pretty good comp for the McKinney resigning as he was always more valuable than his stat line as he enabled the glamor guys like Watt, Mario, Cushing, and Ninja Assassin get the accolades while he did the blue collar work.  2 years later when he was featured in Philly he was in the discussion for defensive MVP and it's a shame he wasn't around last year to get a ring as he was a huge part of turning around the culture there.  Of course our other ridiculous non resigning Brandon Brooks did get a ring with them.

Archived