Around the NFL

pwny

9 hours ago, iPwn said:

I wonder if this is the end for him.

A while ago Joe Thomas was talking about like, getting lost in a parking lot and stuff, forgetting what he's doing.  I was legitimately concerned for his health and future well-being to begin with.  Wouldn't be surprised if that was the end, but who knows.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Liked the idea of Bryant even though he kind of seems like a headcase. We need a big bodied WR like that with ARob out.

Bryant isn't really an ARob "type" big receiver though.  He's more like a run straight down the field for a jump ball type receiver who happens to be big.

11 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah.  He'll have a market.  Never really understood why teams were so high on him in the first place though.  He had a nice run opposite Sherman in his prime, and cashed in big on that.  Hasn't really proven he's a top corner of any sort since, has he?

I could care less about any of the above. When Bryant is on, the guy has as much talent as pretty much any receiver in the league. Im all about taking a flier on a colossal talent like he brings. If he doesn't get his head on straight, move on. 

Never said he'd replace ARob at what he does. Not many are like him. But hes a big bodied freak athlete who has has shown at times that he has the ability to high point a ball and thats something we dont exactly have.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I could care less about any of the above. When Bryant is on, the guy has as much talent as pretty much any receiver in the league. Im all about taking a flier on a colossal talent like he brings. If he doesn't get his head on straight, move on. 

Nah.  He has a big body and a bit of talent, but he's one of those "always raw" sort of guys where the "Talent" he supposedly has, never ends up realized because it's not actually real and it's not coupled with much of any hard work or all important attention to detail.

I mean, i wouldn't be mad taking a flier on him or anything.  But he's far from having as much talent as any receiver in the league.  That's a massive overstatement of his potential.  Especially at this point in his career where he's pretty much just continued to reinforce the profile he had coming out.

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Nah.  He has a big body and a bit of talent, but he's one of those "always raw" sort of guys where the "Talent" he supposedly has, never ends up realized because it's not actually real and it's not coupled with much of any hard work or all important attention to detail.

I mean, i wouldn't be mad taking a flier on him or anything.  But he's far from having as much talent as any receiver in the league.  That's a massive overstatement of his potential.  Especially at this point in his career where he's pretty much just continued to reinforce the profile he had coming out.

I gotta disagree. He's still only 25 and has shown major potential, especially in his first couple years before the suspension last year. If he ever gets his head on straight/isn't an idiot off the field, the guy has a chance to be quite special. Is it a given? Obviously not. But I'd be all over giving a late round pick and hoping he just needed a change of scenery.

15 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I gotta disagree. He's still only 25 and has shown major potential, especially in his first couple years before the suspension last year. If he ever gets his head on straight/isn't an idiot off the field, the guy has a chance to be quite special. Is it a given? Obviously not. But I'd be all over giving a late round pick and hoping he just needed a change of scenery.

I just don't see the major potential there at all.  He's shown he could be a potentially very good deep jump ball threat.  That's all i've really seen any compelling evidence of.

That's not major potential.  Have to show an aptitude for doing more than one thing well to have what i'd consider "quite special".

What exactly have you seen from him that makes you think he can be something really special?

Doesn't mean he's not a useful weapon when he's got his head on straight.  But just...nothing special, no "major upside".  Just...a good niche role weapon.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I just don't see the major potential there at all.  He's shown he could be a potentially very good deep jump ball threat.  That's all i've really seen any compelling evidence of.

That's not major potential.  Have to show an aptitude for doing more than one thing well to have what i'd consider "quite special".

What exactly have you seen from him that makes you think he can be something really special?

Doesn't mean he's not a useful weapon when he's got his head on straight.  But just...nothing special, no "major upside".  Just...a good niche role weapon.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/reminder-talent-pittsburgh-regaining-return-martavis-bryant/

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/30/16146040/martavis-bryant-steelers-2017-nfl-season-preview

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/199904/martavis-bryant-wasting-colossal-talent-leaves-steelers-scrambling

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Check-out-Martavis-Bryants-427-40-yard-dash-52488371

Excellent body length with a long, rangy frame. Very good straight-line, separation speed. Can drop his hips surprisingly well for as tall as he is and is fairly shifty after the catch. Good red-zone target -- effective making back-shoulder catches. Flashes the ability to climb the ladder and highpoint the ball. Has return experience.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/martavis-bryant?id=2543572

Everything I read and what I saw his first couple years makes me love the idea of taking a shot on this guy. Besides Marcedes we have no big bodied redzone guy. He had 14 TD's through his first two seasons.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

What we're really missing is a big body possession receiver with magnetic hands though.  The ability to win simple short routes consistently and catch the ball reliably.  Which isn't Bryant at all.  We have guys who can go downfield and grab the ball on deep shots (Hurns, maybe Cole?).  Maybe not quite as good as Bryant in that one specific niche of endzone jump balls, but more versatile.  Do you really trust Bortles throwing tons of endzone jump balls in the first place?

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a guy like Bryant if it's extremely cheap...but it's not exactly what we need in a big body, and not something i'd pay any kind of premium for.  And just not something i'd describe as huge upside.  Tall athletic jump ball guys are fine, but they're just not versatile enough to have as much upside as anyone in the league.  We barely toss the ball deep in the first place.  What's Bryant going to do for all but one or two snaps a game?

Like...Julio, AJ, Dez, Demaryius or whatever, those are the guys that someone with as much upside as anyone would look like.  Guys who are dominant in all aspects of the position.  They have that upside.  They do so many things far more important on the average down than..."run downfield and catch a jump ball".  Useful skill.  Not an all encompassing skill.  Difference top of the league upside, and...decent niche player.  Big difference.

Half those articles have exaggerated titles or points like "Colossal Talent wasted"...yet basically just elaborate on how he's a good downfield jump ball receiver and...surprisingly good when you scheme a touch for him on the ground?  I don't buy it one bit.  He is what he is.  Which is fine.  Just nothing special.  And not really what we need most anyway.

Archived