Auction League Draft Tips

JaguarCrazy2832

16 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Auctions are "tough" as each owner and each league will value players vastly different.  I think if you have a good handle on what an "appropriate" value is for players, it can help you from overspending and also finding good value when it is there to be had.    

Its tough though just like in a redraft. If a WR is valued at $20 but i think he will be better, its hard to pin down a $ amount of how better he will be whereas its easier to say i can take him round 4 instead of his round 5 adp

29 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its tough though just like in a redraft. If a WR is valued at $20 but i think he will be better, its hard to pin down a $ amount of how better he will be whereas its easier to say i can take him round 4 instead of his round 5 adp

Sure...if the host site you are doing the auction on has the players value at $20, but you think he will be good value at $25+, you then need to make a move and see if you can get that player at something less than $25, but over the $20.  Other owners see you "overpaying" while you are getting good value.  

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

Sure...if the host site you are doing the auction on has the players value at $20, but you think he will be good value at $25+, you then need to make a move and see if you can get that player at something less than $25, but over the $20.  Other owners see you "overpaying" while you are getting good value.  

But thats the problem, putting an arbitrary number too it is tough. Its easy to bump a guy a round or 2 higher bc you know who you’re putting ahead of him but the auction system isn’t conducive to that logic

50 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

But thats the problem, putting an arbitrary number too it is tough. Its easy to bump a guy a round or 2 higher bc you know who you’re putting ahead of him but the auction system isn’t conducive to that logic

The more of them you do, the better and easier it gets.  There will always be outliers, just like in a snake draft where a player falls a round or so past his ADP and then some that are taken a round or so ahead of their ADP.    10-14 owners will not agree on the player valuations regardless of the format...draft vs auction.  It ultimately comes down to your values and getting good value when you see it and passing on "bad value" if need be.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

The more of them you do, the better and easier it gets.  There will always be outliers, just like in a snake draft where a player falls a round or so past his ADP and then some that are taken a round or so ahead of their ADP.    10-14 owners will not agree on the player valuations regardless of the format...draft vs auction.  It ultimately comes down to your values and getting good value when you see it and passing on "bad value" if need be.

True, I appreciate all the feedback. There isnt a ton of info on auctions. I love them but its nice to hear varying opinions. Some mock auctions are crap just like standard leagues like really you spent 150 on Gurley and Bell? Good luck

Archived