TCMD - Forum Wide GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

When does the TCMD draft start in relation to your tender offer deadline?

The tender offer deadline in the last mock took place after the 1st round of bidding with the draft starting well into the middle of fa round bidding, I think round 7 or 8 last mock. 

Not sure I'll use those exact timeframes for this one but something close to that.

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

The tender offer deadline in the last mock took place after the 1st round of bidding with the draft starting well into the middle of fa round bidding, I think round 7 or 8 last mock. 

Not sure I'll use those exact timeframes for this one but something close to that.

I'm fine with it being in the middle of that timeframe.  A lot of teams will have spent their cap space after the first two rounds of FA bidding and would probably be eliminated as trade partners at that point.  Also, teams tagging the players would have to carry those players on their cap sheets through the first few rounds, which are the most crucial rounds of bidding.  This would apply some deterrent for tagging a player.  But the trade has to be allowed before the start of the draft.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm fine with it being in the middle of that timeframe.  A lot of teams will have spent their cap space after the first two rounds of FA bidding and would probably be eliminated as trade partners at that point.  Also, teams tagging the players would have to carry those players on their cap sheets through the first few rounds, which are the most crucial rounds of bidding.  This would apply some deterrent for tagging a player.  But the trade has to be allowed before the start of the draft.

Exactly what I'm thinking.  I just didn't like the idea of tagging a player and only being required to hold that additional cap space for a day or two before unloading it to someone else.  Waiting would likely prevent the masses from attempting to do this as you said teams with that kind of cap is going to be spending it in the first couple rounds, limiting the number of teams willing to take on the extra cap and out of fear of being stuck with the massive cap hit should they not find a team willing to trade.  The scheduling for the draft wouldn't be an issue.

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

Exactly what I'm thinking.  I just didn't like the idea of tagging a player and only being required to hold that additional cap space for a day or two before unloading it to someone else.  Waiting would likely prevent the masses from attempting to do this as you said teams with that kind of cap is going to be spending it in the first couple rounds, limiting the number of teams willing to take on the extra cap and out of fear of being stuck with the massive cap hit should they not find a team willing to trade.  The scheduling for the draft wouldn't be an issue.

But you have to also allow teams to negotiate compensation lower than two firsts.

40 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

But you have to also allow teams to negotiate compensation lower than two firsts.

Right, after the offer sheet deadline.  

I'm fine with rescinding tags as long as they are done before teams start submitting the offer sheets.

I'll draw up some scheduling later to see how it looks on paper. 

A little late and hard to follow but here it is.

This gives you a general idea of how the first week would play out under this structure.  Any solid writers out there interested in helping me write up the guidelines for this, please message me.

Apologies for the text being bold, I copy it over from google docs and for whatever reason I cannot unbold when posting to the forum.

Phase I

Teams designate which players to tender & tag, by posting the details in the League Office thread.  We take the information you post and collect it, making it viewable to everyone within a workbook. If you don’t post your transactions in the League Office thread, then it isn’t official.  NO EXCEPTIONS.  This phase is the only time you are allowed to apply these tenders.  Restricted free agents (RFA) not assigned a tender, will be designated as unrestricted free agents (UFA); removed from RFA listing and added to the UFA listing.

• RFA Tender Compensation

• RoFR - No Compensation

• RoFR - Original Draft Round

• RoFR - 2nd Round

• RoFR - 1st Round

• Calculating the Franchise / Transition tag values & RoFR Compensation

• Exclusive

• An exclusive franchise tag means a team will pay that player no less than the current years average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater.

• The player is not allowed to negotiate with other teams.

• Non-Exclusive

• A non exclusive franchise tag, the team will pay that player no less than the previous years average of the top five salaries at the player’s position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater.   

• The player can negotiate with other teams.

• The player's current team can match any offer sheet. If the old team declines to match the offer, it gets two first-round picks from the other team as compensation.

• This is the more commonly used franchise tag.

• Transition Tag

• By applying the transition tag, a team offers the player a salary that is the average of the top 10 salaries at his position for the current year.

• That player can negotiate with other teams.

• The player's original team has the right of first refusal to match any offer given to a transition-tagged player by another team. If the original team decides to retain the player, it must agree to the contract terms offered by the other team. If the original team decides not to match the offer and the player leaves, it receives nothing in compensation.

• Franchise Tagging in Consecutive Years

• For a player to be given the tag in two straight years, the team must pay him 120% of his previous salary.

• If a team wants to franchise a player for a 3rd consecutive year, it would have to pay him 144% of his previous salary.

Round 1 Free Agent Bidding

• Deadline to have contracts created

• FA Bidding Results Announced
    Note:  1st round announcement may exceed 10pm.

If you’re having second thoughts or have changed your game plan and want to rescind a tender now is the time to do it, anything beyond this date, the player’s contract is fully guaranteed and the player cannot be released from your roster.

• Rescinding Tag / Tender

• You can rescind either type, if done before the start of the Offer Sheet process.

• Rescinding a tag voids the use of the tag, returns the pending cap hit to your available cap.  

• You cannot reuse the tag.

• Exclusive Franchise Tagged players can be extended to free up salary cap space.

Phase II

New teams are allowed to submit offer sheets to tendered players.  For a new team to submit a contract offer, they must have the draft pick compensation available.  If you have a pending offer sheet that includes draft pick compensation, you cannot trade these picks to another team.  The new team offering the highest cap hit will be the only contract provided to the old team to either match or decline.  

• Match Offer Sheet

• The old team must sign the player to the identical contract being offered by the new team.

• Decline Offer Sheet

• The old team relinquishes the rights of the player.

• Draft pick compensation is awarded to the old team.

If for any reason, the draft pick compensation is not available the offer sheet is voided, and the next highest offer sheet is considered.  If all fail, the old team retains the right of first refusal.

Round 2 Free Agent Bidding

• Deadline to have contracts created

• FA Bidding Results Announced

Phase III

Teams that did not receive an offer sheet from another team can put these tagged and tendered players on the trade block and can keep them on the block up to the start of the draft.  

• If you matched an offer sheet to retain the player during phase II, you cannot attempt to trade the player at a later date.

• If you extend the contract of a tagged player, you cannot put the player on the block.

• Remember, tagged and tendered player contracts are fully guaranteed and cannot be released.

Teams can extend the non-exclusive and transition tagged players in order to reduce their current years cap hit.

What do you guys think about running the free agency using only one year deals?  At least for the first year.  Personally, I don't think creating a multi-year contract in the workbook is any more difficult than creating a single season, especially with the how to videos, nonetheless I wanted to get your take on it.

Those not familiar which a workbook that is used for fa bidding take a look at the link below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bcF3Jao5AHiL2DaKI7lla7jgnP_MuRQNMn6eIx4NV5M/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to edit and create some structured contracts, the workbook is protected so that you can't delete or damage the workbook.  Any light blue colored cells for the most part are designed to be edited.  Many of these cells have data validation containing drop down list, to select the player, position as well as used to prevent invalid data entry.  You can't hurt it so have some fun with it.

Managing the Workbook

The workbooks were designed to drastically reduce the amount of work involved in managing the complexity of a full offseason mock draft.  It allows one to two persons to keep track of all 32 teams activity.  I couldn't and wouldn't even attempt to manage a mock draft of this caliber without them.  While they are designed to help me out, they also make the GM's job a lot less complicated. 

Most new members immediately see the benefits of the workbooks and with taking a little time to review them, they quickly figure out that they aren't as scary as they look.  Nonetheless, it has been said that the workbooks appear to be difficult to use in a group setting.  I think this is primarily because most of the GM's are reluctant to share them with their staff in fear of accidental damage to them, or their fa bids being changed by the war room staff.  I do believe there is a workaround for this and that is providing the GM with two sets of docs.  One for them to be able to edit and another that allows them to view. 

From the GM perspective the workbooks are extremely beneficial to managing their team. 

• Official Team Rosters
    • Updated by the TCMD staff.
    • Gone are the days of needing a Capologist to calculate the Top 51 Salary Cap.
    • We make certain everyone is playing by the rules.
  • The FA Transactions are designed so you can't submit an invalid offer.
    • Creating mistake free contracts.
    • Rapid turnaround designed to keep the mock moving.
    • Results are calculated within minutes without the need of agents. 
  • The Draft Board tracks each and every transaction.
    • You can easily see the draft order & time slots for each pick.
    • View which picks are on the trade block.
    • View which players have been selected and that are still available.
    • Create quick and easy big boards that automatically remove players as they are selected.
  • A shared Trade Block designed to increase finding a trading partner.
    • Quickly add and edit your trade block.
    • View other blocks by team, position or view them all privately in one location. 
    • Ability to provide a short note giving the other teams your compensation demands.
    • Hyperlinks to the players war room thread, so that you can start the trade talks publically.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:45 PM, ny92mike said:

Based on the GM’s level of participation throughout the mock draft, these TCMD Leaders will also be passing out tokens throughout the mock draft, these tokens are used to sign Undrafted Free Agents (UDFA).

I mentioned the above in an earlier post but had another idea that I liked too.

Rather than passing out tokens, or in addition to. 

• Reputation Likes are counted at the start of the mock from the GM and HC.  At the end of the draft we calculate how many likes the member added.
  • War Room thread post count

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Managing the Workbook

The workbooks were designed to drastically reduce the amount of work involved in managing the complexity of a full offseason mock draft.  It allows one to two persons to keep track of all 32 teams activity.  I couldn't and wouldn't even attempt to manage a mock draft of this caliber without them.  While they are designed to help me out, they also make the GM's job a lot less complicated. 

Most new members immediately see the benefits of the workbooks and with taking a little time to review them, they quickly figure out that they aren't as scary as they look.  Nonetheless, it has been said that the workbooks appear to be difficult to use in a group setting.  I think this is primarily because most of the GM's are reluctant to share them with their staff in fear of accidental damage to them, or their fa bids being changed by the war room staff.  I do believe there is a workaround for this and that is providing the GM with two sets of docs.  One for them to be able to edit and another that allows them to view. 

From the GM perspective the workbooks are extremely beneficial to managing their team. 

• Official Team Rosters
    • Updated by the TCMD staff.
    • Gone are the days of needing a Capologist to calculate the Top 51 Salary Cap.
    • We make certain everyone is playing by the rules.
  • The FA Transactions are designed so you can't submit an invalid offer.
    • Creating mistake free contracts.
    • Rapid turnaround designed to keep the mock moving.
    • Results are calculated within minutes without the need of agents. 
  • The Draft Board tracks each and every transaction.
    • You can easily see the draft order & time slots for each pick.
    • View which picks are on the trade block.
    • View which players have been selected and that are still available.
    • Create quick and easy big boards that automatically remove players as they are selected.
  • A shared Trade Block designed to increase finding a trading partner.
    • Quickly add and edit your trade block.
    • View other blocks by team, position or view them all privately in one location. 
    • Ability to provide a short note giving the other teams your compensation demands.
    • Hyperlinks to the players war room thread, so that you can start the trade talks publically.

Can't you limit the google doc in terms of who can edit it? So you just have to add the gm who can then share the workbook but it doesn't allow them to edit something. 

In respect to the free agency i think having only one year contracts would make it easier but will also cost you a bit of realism and especially for teams with less cap space limits what they can do. 

And in terms of the tokens i understand the want to have a way to "streamline" UFA's but i think it can get a bit too gamey and not really enhance the reality. I think adding something in the workbooks where you can submit a number of names and then it automatically calculates between the teams wanting him based on the players they already have in his position.(I believe i saw you had something in place which gives every player a value on which you base the minimum salary). 

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Can't you limit the google doc in terms of who can edit it? So you just have to add the gm who can then share the workbook but it doesn't allow them to edit something. 

In respect to the free agency i think having only one year contracts would make it easier but will also cost you a bit of realism and especially for teams with less cap space limits what they can do. 

And in terms of the tokens i understand the want to have a way to "streamline" UFA's but i think it can get a bit too gamey and not really enhance the reality and for most t

1.  I can with the use of email addresses but having to chase down email addresses for both the GM and HC could prove difficult.  Also when locking the workbooks from editing contracts during the sorting and awarding process it isn't so simple because in order to do that I've got to remove each members permissions manually, where as without the email I can lock them all at once by checking a box.

2.  That's where I'm at with it, I think it would be best at least for this first year, but it will limit the ability to get creative with finding more cap space.

3.  Perhaps the suggestion is a bit gamey, but it is the last thing in the mock draft and provides incentive to be more active in the earlier events.     

Archived