Training Camp Battle - Corner

DoleINGout

Cornerback's  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which corners are locks to make the team?

• Stephone Gilmore
    • Duke Dawson
    • Eric Rowe
    • Jonathan Jones
    • Keion Crossen
    • Jason McCourty
    • JC Jackson
    • Ryan Lewis
    • Cyrus Jones
    • Jomal Wiltz

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/08/2018 at 08:51 PM

Keion Crossen dealt with back spasms starting five days ago.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/7/29/17627094/injury-update-new-england-patriots-rookie-cornerback-keion-crossen-minor-setback

I'm guessing he will be stashed leaving the final depth chart to look something like this:

Stephone Gilmore

Eric Rowe

Duke Dawson

JC Jackson

Jonathan Jones

Jason McCourty/Ryan Lewis

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I really doubt JC makes the roster. 

He's got a troubled past supposedly but he IS uber talented. As I've posted before, after watching him i can see why he was considered one of the top corners in his conference last season at Maryland. JC had started over Jason McCourty all minicamp, (probably for the team to get a look at him there and help him learn faster for a better chance in training camp now...), and McCourty has basically played the same amount of snaps as Jackson since training camp began. I think it's a tight compeition so it wouldn't really surprise me one way or the other who is cut.

21 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

maybe breeland is worth competing with rowe. i already dont feel good about mccourty playkmg a lot if he makes the roster

Why? He was one of the better CBs in the league last season and has a proven track record. He's had his ups and downs, but his supporting cast from the Titans' days were laughable.

Gilmore - Rowe/McCourty will be the top 3 guys.

I expect Gilmore to be the only full-time player. Rowe and McCourty will vary through gameplanning, packages throughout the year. I expect them to split counts pretty evenly. I expect a really good year from Jason. He's going to be that Patriots under the radar, veteran acquisition that turns out to be great. Eric Rowe has been steady and sound for us since he's been here. People will use the Super Bowl to define him, but probably forget how consistent he's been. Don't know what everyone else thought, but Duke Dawson's college tape was nasty. He's feisty, timely, aggressive and sound. He'll find himself on the field plenty for a Patriots rookie. All in all, this is probably one of the best groups on the squad. I'm the least worried it....

47 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Why? He was one of the better CBs in the league last season and has a proven track record. He's had his ups and downs, but his supporting cast from the Titans' days were laughable.

Mostly because the youth at the position could force a tough decision. McCourty isn't bad but I think there are stronger cover guys that are rookies who may create some flexibility with the veteran players. Breeland coming in for a visit to me would signal the potential of cutting McCourty even more if he were to be signed. It would make competition even tighter with Eric Rowe too.

Am I a minority when it comes to Rowe getting too much hate? I feel like a lot of it is unwarranted. I'm not saying he's a top CB in the league but as a 2nd CB where the Pats just rely on Gilmore to take one side, I feel like he's very serviceable against the other guys on the roster. I see a lot of rookies and injury plagued guys and then a guy who is joining a new scheme in McCourty which is primarily man coverage. McCourty has shown more success in zone coverages in his career. 

I think a lot of the hate just comes from some of the catches made against him in Super Bowls where for the most part Rowe has had pretty good coverage, the receiver has just made ridiculous catches against him. Falcons Super Bowl especially. I'm more for Rowe making the roster this year as our #2 than McCourty.

1 hour ago, Spooky said:

Am I a minority when it comes to Rowe getting too much hate? I feel like a lot of it is unwarranted. I'm not saying he's a top CB in the league but as a 2nd CB where the Pats just rely on Gilmore to take one side, I feel like he's very serviceable against the other guys on the roster. I see a lot of rookies and injury plagued guys and then a guy who is joining a new scheme in McCourty which is primarily man coverage. McCourty has shown more success in zone coverages in his career. 

I think a lot of the hate just comes from some of the catches made against him in Super Bowls where for the most part Rowe has had pretty good coverage, the receiver has just made ridiculous catches against him. Falcons Super Bowl especially. I'm more for Rowe making the roster this year as our #2 than McCourty.

I like Rowe. I think he’s useful in a matchup oriented game plan where Gilmore takes the dominant guy and Rowe matches with bigger WRs. Alshon got the long TD on him but it was a contested ball and Jeffery is a better receiver. From the get go I wanted Gilmore on him. 

But yeah, I’m comfortable with Rowe as the #2, maybe being relegated against certain matchups. 

For instance, I like him vs a team like Detroit. He’s a solid matchup with Marvin Jones (I’m sure the Lions like that matchup too). Later in the year, I like him vs Tennessee, where he can go against Rishard Matthews. 

Not sure I like him vs speedsters, though. So if NE goes man against the Steelers (vs JJSS), Vikings (vs Diggs), or Chiefs (vs Watkins/Hill), I can see him struggling in some of those matchups. 

But he’s a useful matchup CB if he can build from the end of his 2016 season. He played Julio reasonably well (with help).

On 8/11/2018 at 1:36 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Not sure I like him vs speedsters, though. So if NE goes man against the Steelers (vs JJSS), Vikings (vs Diggs), or Chiefs (vs Watkins/Hill), I can see him struggling in some of those matchups. 

I would put Jonathan Jones in there. He's performed well in his limited defensive playing time and has the speed to stick to guys like that better than Rowe or McCourty.

9 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

I would put Jonathan Jones in there. He's performed well in his limited defensive playing time and has the speed to stick to guys like that better than Rowe or McCourty.

I like JJ, he showed out really well before going down. Did we see much of him on the outside, though? IIRC he was primarily an inside guy. 

I think regardless of who makes the roster and what the depth chart looks like, the Pats are going to struggle with KC specifically. Yeah, Bill usually likes to test young QBs, but I doubt he lets Watkins and Hill move around with a single safety (unless he’s going Gilmore-Watkins and Hill-CB with safety help). Putting too many guys back after getting gouged by Hunt last year will also be an interesting dilemma.

Archived