Week 1 GDT Thread - Chicago (0-0) @ Green Bay (0-0)

Leader

14 hours ago, cannondale said:

I wish Clay's penalty was the worst thing. He gets routed passed the QB all the time, leaving huge lanes to run or throw. I'm so sick of his game. He should have been left inside 3 years ago. I'm sure his ego wouldn't allow that

Wow you guys really need to lay off of Clay. I believe before the snap he heard the voice of Kevin Greene "IT IS TIME!!!"

Any player knows when they have to make a play, but you can't blow your assignment in pursuit of trying to make that play. 

Reminds me of the D-back we signed from the Steelers years ago that had several INTs in preseason and ultimately got cut in the final rounds of cuts because he was making those INTs because he was abandoning coverage assignments. 

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/09/10/analysis-geronimo-allison-emerging-genuine-weapon-packers/1261793002/

Comments on the offseason progress of Geronimo:

"Allison is in his third season, and in the second half Sunday showed he has become a pro in that time. His five-catch, 69-yard performance included a stretch on a touchdown drive in the second half in which he caught big passes on four of five plays…the 39-yard touchdown that showed better than any just how far he’s come.

On that play, Allison looked like a seasoned pro. Though he’s not fast for a receiver (4.67-second 40), he slipped past one of the league’s better cornerbacks, Kyle Fuller, at the line of scrimmage, then made sure he had some separation when the ball arrived by slowing momentarily and bumping the cornerback just enough to create some space.

Allison also won the hand fight with Fuller as the ball arrived, knocking Fuller’s hands away so the cornerback couldn’t deflect it, and making almost a one-handed catch as he fended off Fuller with his left arm. That’s a lot to think about all at once and illustrates why it’s so hard for rookies to excel at receiver in the NFL. There’s a lot to practice and perfect to make a play like that."

And Mack:

….after Rodgers returned from his knee injury in the second half, McCarthy went almost exclusively with a no-huddle offense, and that tempo slowed Mack and Hicks as they tired.

Mack, in fact, played 42 of the Bears’ 70 defensive snaps, which was too many for a guy who isn’t yet in football shape regardless of how hard he trained during his holdout. By the fourth quarter, with the game on the line, Bulaga was still blocking Mack one-on-one and doing just fine.

Archived