2019 Offseason Thread

VigilantZombie

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Dupree has been playing very well.  I do not see him being let go.

I would rather release the entire coaching staff.  As i have said before.  Stale, predictable  scheme.  Dcoordinator that has nothing but wait to earn his position.  OCoordinator that was only put there because Ben wanted him.  Those two are showing nothing.  No preparation.  At least the Defense shows up in the 2nd half.  First half Fichtner is just a waster of space.

Agree about everything except dupree. Ben got what he wanted, now where are the results?  Ben is out of excuses and the schedule is much more difficult this year. So while they could have been 9-7 last year, that could be 6-10 this year. 

I am in agreement with cleaning house. I would keep munchak though, and maybe tomlin but I am not a fan of his like some are. This team needs a real shake up and new blood  and that starts at the top IMO.  

Dupree has decent effort, and of course is in the wrong scheme, but might catch on with another team.

ben, bell , dupree (5thyear option) and pouncey are about $45M in cap space. Think about your options based on what you have seen this season 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Dupree has been playing very well.  I do not see him being let go.

I would rather release the entire coaching staff.  As i have said before.  Stale, predictable  scheme.  Dcoordinator that has nothing but wait to earn his position.  OCoordinator that was only put there because Ben wanted him.  Those two are showing nothing.  No preparation.  At least the Defense shows up in the 2nd half.  First half Fichtner is just a waster of space.

I agree with everything on the coaching staff.

Idk what you are looking at but Dupree has been far from "very well". He has made a few great plays but mostly he has been nothing more than another liability.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

My biggest concern about letting Ben be more involved in the offensive planning in the off season -- 71/29 pass to run. Granted, some of that is game flow, but there were times Haley would at least put the hammer down and FORCE the run (often too much).

71/29 means it's time to be a passing team, we know who wants that.  get off to a bad start, with a  bad D and there you have it a passing team out of necessity. Nice how that all fell into place isn't it. 

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Idk what you are looking at but Dupree has been far from "very well". He has made a few great plays but mostly he has been nothing more than another liability.

He still wouldn't crack the starting lineup on a good 3-4 D with OLB's we have had in our history. Making some lays he is, but consistent enough pressure and variation there isn't. That INT from fitz was a gift near the end zone and that won't happen again. Rushing the passer will continue to happen and that is what really matters.  He isn't mailing it in like some appear to but lets not get carried away either. 

1 hour ago, KJtheWicked said:

Can one of you cap gurus break down what our cap situation might look like heading into 2019 FA? 

A guy I really like is Deone Buchanon. He would give us that speed at LB we desperately need. 

Depending on what they do as far as resignings and cuts, depending on how long Bell sits out, we could be looking at $20M + in cap space, more realisticaly we are likely looking at 9.5M

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

He still wouldn't crack the starting lineup on a good 3-4 D with OLB's we have had in our history. Making some lays he is, but consistent enough pressure and variation there isn't. That INT from fitz was a gift near the end zone and that won't happen again. Rushing the passer will continue to happen and that is what really matters.  He isn't mailing it in like some appear to but lets not get carried away either. 

He has been playing so much better.  he is getting consent pressure when he rushes. He is not James Harrison but neither is Watt.  ILB is such a huge need I can't even begin making other holes in the team.

18 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He has been playing so much better.  he is getting consent pressure when he rushes. He is not James Harrison but neither is Watt.  ILB is such a huge need I can't even begin making other holes in the team.

Unless he's racking up 2 sacks a game people are going to hate him. I expected him to really break out and I was wrong, but I still understand he's a pretty good player. 

37 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Unless he's racking up 2 sacks a game people are going to hate him. I expected him to really break out and I was wrong, but I still understand he's a pretty good player. 

I see him struggling in coverage, struggling to get off blocks, and failing to set the edge against the run.

I did this list based on when Tomlin became the HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers, I felt that was the most fair way to do it. 

2007 -- Lawrence Timmons was the lone man in this draft that had what I'd refer to as long-term success with our team.  Woodley had success but injuries did him in.  William Gay was an initial bust for our team, sure he eventually came back and had 'content-level' success but as a draft pick, he was a failure, same can be said for Matt Spaeth.  Not one other guy in this draft was a true success. 

1 15 Lawrence Timmons LB Florida State
2 46 LaMarr Woodley LB Michigan
3 77 Matt Spaeth TE Minnesota
4 112 Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor
4 132 Ryan McBean DE Oklahoma State
5 156 Cameron Stephenson G Rutgers
5 170 William Gay CB Louisville
7 227 Dallas Baker WR Florida

2008 - Not one player from this draft came to pass as a long-term talented player. 

1 23 Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
2 53 Limas Sweed WR Texas
3 88 Bruce Davis LB UCLA
4 130 Tony Hills T Texas
5 156 Dennis Dixon QB Oregon
6 188 Mike Humpal OLB Iowa
6 194 Ryan Mundy FS West Virginia

2009 - A few players in this class have had some success in the NFL, none of them truly to a long-term tune for the Steelers.  Wallace, Shipley, and Lewis all have seen NFL success but I wouldn't consider any of them outside of perhaps Shiply

1 32 Ziggy Hood DT Missouri
3 79 Kraig Urbik T Wisconsin
3 84 Mike Wallace WR Mississippi
3 96 Keenan Lewis DB Oregon State
5 168 Joe Burnett DB Central Florida
5 169 Frank Summers RB Nevada-Las Vegas
6 205 Ra'Shon Harris DT Oregon
7 226 A.Q. Shipley C Penn State
7 241 David Johnson TE Arkansas State

2010 - Obviously Antonio Brown &  Pouncey was the big take away from this draft, but it was the first draft during Tomlin's run that had more than one successful pick, Brown, Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders.  Worilds was a fringe success story, he did well for us but nothing great, went elsewhere and found the end of his career.  

1 18 Maurkice Pouncey C Florida
2 52 Jason Worilds LB Virginia Tech
3 82 Emmanuel Sanders WR Southern Methodist
4 116 Thaddeus Gibson LB Ohio State
5 151 Chris Scott T Tennessee
5 164 Crezdon Butler DB Clemson
5 166 Stevenson Sylvester LB Utah
6 188 Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
6 195 Antonio Brown WR Central Michigan
7 242 Doug Worthington DE Ohio State

2011 - Cam Heyward obviously is the most important selection here.  Marcus Gilbert has been a success at right tackle but I do feel that I should add, he was originally drafted with the intent to be a LT at which he failed.  Still, with this class we're up to 7 players that have found true NFL success and just 4 that found it long-term with Pittsburgh.

1 31 Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
2 63 Marcus Gilbert T Florida
3 95 Curtis Brown DB Texas
4 128 Cortez Allen DB The Citadel
5 162 Chris Carter LB Fresno State
6 196 Keith Williams G Nebraska
7 232 Baron Batch RB Texas Tech

2012 - If not for an injury it might have been different, but in the end, 2 guys made an impact from this class and one was a 7th round pick.  Sean Spence is the guy who might have been great if not for a horrific leg injury.  David DeCastro however is the only guy from this class that, at this point in the NFL is worth mentioning.  If you're keeping track that's 8 over the course of 6 drafts.

1 24 David DeCastro G Stanford
2 56 Mike Adams T Ohio State
3 86 Sean Spence LB Miami (Fla.)
4 109 Alameda Ta'amu DT Washington
5 159 Chris Rainey RB Florida
7 231 Toney Clemons WR Colorado
7 240 David Paulson TE Oregon
7 246 Terrence Frederick CB Texas A&M
7 248 Kelvin Beachum T Southern Methodist

2013 - 2 guys from this class were a success, one an amazing success, but then look at where we are now with him, (that doesn't make him a bad pick).  Vince Williams is the other guy but to me, he is a backup quality player so his success is relative to that.  He is not a starter worthy guy, and he is as much a part of the problem in our current defensive situation. Personally I'm not going to credit him here.  We're up to 10 over 7 years. 

1 17 Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
2 48 Le'Veon Bell RB Michigan State
3 79 Markus Wheaton WR Oregon State
4 111 Shamarko Thomas SS Syracuse
4 115 Landry Jones QB Oklahoma
5 150 Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois
6 186 Justin Brown WR Oklahoma
6 206 Vince Williams ILB Florida State
7 223 Nick Williams DT Samford

2014 - I think it's fair to say this is was one of his more successful drafts, relative to the reality we now find ourselves in.  Shazier was a great player, key word being was. That doesn't make it a bad pick, it turned out to be an excellent pick, but it is a pick that is no more.  Tuitt, let's not make him something he isn't, he isn't Khalil Mack, but he is a very good, well above average DE.  Martavis Bryant was a bust, let's not try to suggest otherwise, so was McCullers.

1 15 Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State
2 46 Stephon Tuitt DT Notre Dame
3 97 Dri Archer RB Kent State
4 118 Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
5 157 Shaquille Richardson DB Arizona
5 173 Wesley Johnson C Vanderbilt
6 192 Jordan Zumwalt LB UCLA
6 215 Dan McCullers DT Tennessee
7 230 Rob Blanchflower TE Massachusetts

2015 - Jesse James is the lone note worthy player here.  Bud Dupree, regardless of how you feel about him right now, is a bust and Chickillo shouldn't even be on the roster.  Bud Dupree is on borrowed time and as a 1st round choice, he ended up being a terrible pick. 

1 22 Bud Dupree LB Kentucky
2 56 Senquez Golson CB Mississippi
3 87 Sammie Coates WR Auburn
4 121 Doran Grant CB Ohio State
5 160 Jesse James TE Penn State
6 199 L.T. Walton DT Central Michigan
6 212 Anthony Chickillo DE Miami (Fla.)
7 239 Gerod Holliman FS Louisville

2016 - I'm not prepared to call a guy who barely sees the field due to lack of athleticism and overall talent (T.M.) a success.  Javon Hargrave is a consistent starter, he was the one quality pick from this draft.  Artie Burns is starting because he is the best of the terrible CBs we have healthy right now.  Sean Davis is starting for lack of options.  Both are busts. Up to 14/10

1 25 Artie Burns CB Miami (Fla.)
2 58 Sean Davis SAF Maryland
3 89 Javon Hargrave DT South Carolina State
4 123 Jerald Hawkins T LSU
6 220 Travis Feeney OLB Washington
7 229 DeMarcus Ayers WR Houston
7 246 Tyler Matakevich LB Temple

2017 - Too early to tell but early on it would appear TJ Watt and JuJu are the real deal.  It also appears Sutton doesn't belong on the field and Keion Adams isn't ever going to be given a chance.  James Conner was a quality pick seemingly.  Time will tell.  I'll give them 3 from this draft.

1 30 T.J. Watt LB Wisconsin
2 62 JuJu Smith-Schuster WR USC
3 94 Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee
3 105 James Conner RB Pittsburgh
4 135 Joshua Dobbs QB Tennessee
5 173 Brian Allen CB Utah
6 213 Colin Holba LS Louisville
7 248 Keion Adams LB Western Michigan

2018 - Obviously it's far too early to even guess on this but regardless and given our FA signings, T.E. wasn't a great pick.  I suspect a minimum of 3 players in this draft will not amount to anything. 

1 28 Terrell Edmunds DB Virginia Tech
2 60 James Washington WR Oklahoma State
3 76 Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma State
3 92 Chuks Okorafor T Western Michigan
5 148 Marcus Allen DB Penn State
5 165 Jaylen Samuels FB North Carolina State
7 246 Josh Frazier DT Alabama

(Bolded are guys who worked out)

So here's my point I gave Colbert credit for 13 people that he drafted.  Depending on your opinion you could give him credit for more, or less.  But this is over an 11 year span (Tomlin's tenure) with 2 years still waiting to develop but not particularly looking promising in some areas.  When you add in the FA blunders he has had, while Colbert might be above average in terms of GM's, let's not pretend that he is amazing, he is far from it.  I have trouble believing that we can't at the very least, easily match his effectiveness as a GM by replacing him.

Try the same thing with the Patriots and see how BB does.  just from 2007, to keep it fair, he has 12 drafted players that have impacted the Pats.  And he had far more picks.

Green Bay from 2007.  I count 12 impact players.

Judge them against the league and other teams drafting late.  I personally am for replacing scouts and coaches.  Colbert has had a long run of getting talent for this team and keeping them very competitive in the salary cap era.  Especially when he has had to rely almost solely on the draft.

You have also left off players that went on to other teams and played for years and/or are still playing. Also players that had injuries force them out of the League. I do not agree Colbert has been terrible OVERALL. I do agree he needs help selecting Defensive players. He's been better then most on the Offensive side of the ball. 

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

HIs effort is there this year , and he has been getting closer , so that isn't bad IMO. The problem is this is year 4 and he doesn't have variation and our GM is about to give him a deal for 10+M per at least . Any decent starting OT will solve his ways, all history shows this.  If there were some moves added to his repertoire I might actually step back , but with colbert willing to risk everything to prove himself right with his RD1 picks, this is a serious crossroads. The team can get a player that does have various moves and is already better per snap and move forward.  As someone pointed out, dupree isomer suited for 4-3 DE in 9 tech and I agree. In this scheme, he isn't being utilized properly and his move gets neutralized more often than it would in 9 tech. 

What has doomed this team the most is depending solely on the draft for the D. They got lucky when fro some reason the browns released Haden. Imagine if the browns kept him. They have missed too many times in the draft on D yet hit often for the offence.

From this, it could be said the Defensive scouting is the issue if they give colbert a list per position to draft. 

15 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

You have also left off players that went on to other teams and played for years and/or are still playing. Also players that had injuries force them out of the League. I do not agree Colbert has been terrible OVERALL. I do agree he needs help selecting Defensive players. He's been better then most on the Offensive side of the ball. 

The draft has variation from year to years. Many hyped Nelson to be the next great OG. He has helped Indy, but is not near the player DDC is/was yet he was drafted much earlier. I have watched a few colts games and their D plays with more heart than ours :$ 

Colberts crew have been good for drafting WR's and QB's IMO based on limited QB play that I have seen from Dobbs and Mason. 

We can blame the D scouts more than colbert, but the bell  situation would fall on colbert mostly .  They could have decided to let him walk if he didn't sign a deal before the draft and move forward from there. When bell showed up just before the playoff game last minute, that should have been all they needed to know.  

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I didnt leave off Shazier. I also didnt leave off Sanders. I explained why i personally didnt count some individuals. Im not saying he did a terrible job. Im saying 2hat he has done, wouldnt be hard to replace. Now, is it a scout issue? Alright im willing to see them all replaced and give him another year to find out.

Archived