THE Canadian Football Lague Thread

RaidersAreOne

On 4/30/2024 at 6:38 PM, Malfatron said:

Im switching teams. Gonna go with the ottawa redblacks because they are a rebuilding team.

Didnt make it through a year with the other rooting interests so lets see if they stick

Hmm maybe not. I gotta figure out which actual one i like

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2024 at 6:38 PM, Malfatron said:

Im switching teams. Gonna go with the ottawa redblacks because they are a rebuilding team.

Didnt make it through a year with the other rooting interests so lets see if they stick

Final answer

Ottawa is my team

• 2 months later...

The CFL has the kind of online product the NFL should have: ALL games are streamed live there on a site that actually works, and can be watched for up to 48 hours afterward, for free. You don't even have to make an account. And while there are minor differences, the product is immediately recognizable as modern football (right down to the cringe-inducing ads directed at audiences that aren't watching, so be prepared to hit mute or skip ahead MANY times throughout a game). So right away I'm on board with this. The only question is, which team should I support?

Hamilton Tiger-Cats... as opposed to what, Tiger-Dogs? Nah.

Ottowa Redblacks... that's the best they could come up with??

Montreal Alouettes... I don't know what an alouette is.

BC Lions... that lion looks way too friendly.

Edmonton pulled a Washington and changed their name. Haven't had a winning season since. No thanks.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers are successful and have decent uniforms.

Saskatchewan Roughriders. Now that's a good name for a football team. Great colors too.

Calgary Stampeders. That works too. And Bret Hart was from Calgary. Their uniforms have the same old-fashioned, "clean" look to them as the Roughriders'.

Toronto Argonauts have the best name, colors and history. They played in the Skydome. And John Candy was a fan and part-owner. Gotta go with them. But I have to wonder, what happened to their local support? The Buffalo Bills seem to have more fans in Toronto than the Argos do, and they're an American team that's never won a championship.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

The CFL has the kind of online product the NFL should have: ALL games are streamed live there on a site that actually works, and can be watched for up to 48 hours afterward, for free. You don't even have to make an account. And while there are minor differences, the product is immediately recognizable as modern football (right down to the cringe-inducing ads directed at audiences that aren't watching, so be prepared to hit mute or skip ahead MANY times throughout a game). So right away I'm on board with this. The only question is, which team should I support?

Hamilton Tiger-Cats... as opposed to what, Tiger-Dogs? Nah.

Montreal Alouettes... I don't know what an alouette is.

BC Lions... that lion looks way too friendly.

Edmonton pulled a Washington and changed their name. Haven't had a winning season since. No thanks.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers are successful and have decent uniforms.

Saskatchewan Roughriders. Now that's a good name for a football team. Great colors too.

Calgary Stampeders. That works too. And Bret Hart was from Calgary. Their uniforms have the same old-fashioned, "clean" look to them as the Roughriders'.

Toronto Argonauts have the best name, colors and history. They played in the Skydome. And John Candy was a fan and part-owner. Gotta go with them. But I have to wonder, what happened to their local support? The Buffalo Bills seem to have more fans in Toronto than the Argos do, and they're an American team that's never won a championship.

I switched teams like 4 times and none of them really caught on for me.

Maybe start with a player that you want to follow

• Like 1

21 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

They were going for something francophone. 

As for the Argos...the local fans in Toronto has pretty much always been non existent. At least from the early 90's on. Anyone and everyone I knew with season tickets, myself included, were/are traveling up to two hours to get there and are not from the city.

Still, never would have thought I longed for the days of 17-20K crowds at the Skydome vs now. 

• Like 1

I don't blame you for not picking the Stampeders (Who I cheer for). They suck now, have likely the worst stadium in the CFL and the fanbase is dwindling. However not too long ago they were the model of consistency and had some truly legendary CFLers on our rosters year in and year out.

I am by far the biggest CFL fan out of all my friends/family, but even now I am growing a little stale of the league (Maybe because who I cheer for sucks). I just don't crave turning on CFL games like I used to which is a shame.

I hope the league experiences more success soon because the #'s are scary.