Who's better right now: Dallas Cowboys or Chicago Bears?

mdonnelly21

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who's currently the better team?

• Chicago Bears
    • Dallas Cowboys

On 12/12/2018 at 5:34 PM, dtait93 said:

First of all, I agree that the Bears are definitely hands down better than the Cowboys.

But what’s this DVOA about and how does it have the 2004 Bills and 2012 Bears over the likes of the 2000 Ravens, 2000 Titans, 2013 Seahawks, and 2015 Broncos for example?

1) Don't only look at the rankings---the numbers matter too and helps to see the margin of difference between teams.
2) You are under-estimating how good those defenses were.

(FYI, the Bills defense was stacked--  London Fletcher is one of the most underrated defensive players of all time, Pat Williams before the boat in Minnesota, Lawyer Milloy, Spikes, Clements, Troy Vincent, etc)

The Bills have a higher DVOA mostly because of how good their pass defense was -- 4th best behind only the '02 Bucs, '91 Eagles and '09 Jets. (similar to how the '00 Ravens are ranked so high because of their run defense---ranked #1)

The '12 Bears DVOA is only +0.9% higher than the Hawks and +1.0% Broncos, so it's not as if it's a huge margin. The biggest reason for the Bears over the Hawks is not only were the Bears defense that good but they had also played against better offenses--7 of their games were against top-10 offenses and another 6 games against offenses who ranked 11th, 15th(2x), 16th, 18th and 21st. That defense was legit. Had Cutler been even remotely competent, the 10-6 Bears would have had a top 3 seed instead of missing the playoffs and Lovie Smith would not have been used as a scapegoat and not been fired.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:20 PM, Calvert28 said:

Just a calculated metric that says they are great except they are still trying to make the playoffs like the Cowboys. This same Bears team that could barely beat Sam Bradford and a OC that got fired before half the season was over. Gave up over 30 to 3 different including a loss to the Giants who dropped one of those 30 point games on them. And another 6 teams who made it past 20 on the scoreboard. 

But supposedly these guys are historic. And they are supposedly better then a 2000 Ravens defense that surrendered 20+ points only 3 times that season. And kept the majority of their opponents to under 10 points a game. Its bullsh!t. 

Like me trying to use these stats to say we must be the greatest comeback team of all time. 

https://twitter.com/BobbyBeltTX/status/1072157857112576001?s=20

There is so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to begin. 

Gave up over 30 to 3 different

The Bears defense have not given up 30 to 3 teams. 

Look, I know you're frustrated that you can't come up with any legitimate reason to prop up the Cowboys defense over the Bears but if you're going to just box score scout, atleast do it right.

And another 6 teams who made it past 20 on the scoreboard. 

This is also wrong but nevermind that. So now we're using the arbitrary 20 points as the cutoff during a season when the league average is 24 lol. 

I have so much more I wanna address but I'm trying to watch the game.

Archived