How Does Seattle Get Back to the SuperBowl?

showtime

What would a dream off-season be for everyone here?  There were so many games this past season (including the playoff game) that could have went either way.  Here's a quote from Russell Wilson about one of those close games - “I go back to the Rams game, at home, they were undefeated at the time, we had the ball at the 31-yard line to win the game.”  Then you have the Chargers game, etc. 

As far as game plan, the ball should be in Wilson's hands more.  I'm not saying that the Seahawks should stop running the ball, but Wilson needs to be used more on first and second down.  Hopefully this off-season really elevates David Moore into a more polished route runner, so that will also open things up a bit.

Another thing, how about using a draft pick on a kicker?  I know almost everyone hates doing that, but the amount of times special teams has costed the Seahawks games over the past two years has been disgusting.

21 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

I'd say a dream offseason would be if McKinnon and Garoppolo tear their ACLs again.  I'd be pretty worried about the 49ers creeping up on that 2nd place spot in the NFC West if I was a Seahawks fan

So a dream off-season would be two guys on opposing teams suffering a season ending injury?  There's no need to be worried about the Niners because they haven't proven anything yet.  Garoppolo hasn't proven he will be a franchise caliber player. 

The Seahawks are going to get better as well.  There are a bunch of young players on both sides of the ball and hardly nobody predicted them to make the postseason before the season started.

55 minutes ago, showtime said:

So a dream off-season would be two guys on opposing teams suffering a season ending injury?  There's no need to be worried about the Niners because they haven't proven anything yet.  Garoppolo hasn't proven he will be a franchise caliber player. 

The Seahawks are going to get better as well.  There are a bunch of young players on both sides of the ball and hardly nobody predicted them to make the postseason before the season started.

I completely agree about the 49ers not having actually proven anything at this point in time, but we saw the drop off in how good the 49ers were after Garoppolo’s injury and it was pretty significant.  His presence at least gives them the appearance of competence, and I think if he gets a couple of new weapons they’ll be good to go

And tbh it’s gonna take more than a generic “our young guys will only get better” answer to convince me that the Seahawks are headed back towards truly contending.  If you want to make the argument that the Seahawks will be in it every year that they have Wilson because he’s a top 5 QB and this is a quarterback driven league, then I totally get it because that was proven to be true this past season.  But Frank Clark’s upcoming free agency is an issue that has to be addressed, as well as the lack of true pass rushers outside of half the defensive line.  Nobody on the team had more than 3 sacks except Clark and Reed

21 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

I completely agree about the 49ers not having actually proven anything at this point in time, but we saw the drop off in how good the 49ers were after Garoppolo’s injury and it was pretty significant.  His presence at least gives them the appearance of competence, and I think if he gets a couple of new weapons they’ll be good to go

And tbh it’s gonna take more than a generic “our young guys will only get better” answer to convince me that the Seahawks are headed back towards truly contending.  If you want to make the argument that the Seahawks will be in it every year that they have Wilson because he’s a top 5 QB and this is a quarterback driven league, then I totally get it because that was proven to be true this past season.  But Frank Clark’s upcoming free agency is an issue that has to be addressed, as well as the lack of true pass rushers outside of half the defensive line.  Nobody on the team had more than 3 sacks except Clark and Reed

You have to define what 'truly contending' means.  Does that mean making the postseason?  Because if it does, I think the Seahawks will be in contention for the postseason as long as they have Russell Wilson.  As far as Frank Clark goes, he can get franchise tagged in a worst case scenario and Jarran Reed had 10 sacks from the defensive tackle position, he's also really good.  Obviously, the team needs to address the defensive line through the draft.  The secondary is VERY young, so it's still yet to be seen how those guys will develop.  I think they did a decent job last season as a unit considering they all have very little experience starting together.  And then Bobby Wagner is the best MLB in the league, IMO, so they still have a rock in the middle to anchor their defense.

The team lost Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett, Sheldon Richardson and others just one off-season ago (Thomas is obviously still on the team, but he barely played).  That is a hell of a lot of experience, leadership and playmaking ability to lose in a single off-season.  There's no guarantee the Seahawks hit on future draft picks or free agent signings, but they have some young guys in place who have shown a lot of flashes of being good players. 

Most people picked the Seahawks to finish around the 4-12 mark heading into this season because the team lost so many key players and there were so many young unproven players.  This season was supposed to be a 'rebuilding' year for the Seahawks, not a year with them making the postseason.

The Rams are obviously the kings of the NFC West, but the Niners and Cardinals aren't scary to me until they can prove it on a consistent basis.  Seattle isn't going to win the division, but they will be in the wild card hunt. 

• 1 month later...

Schottenheimer and Carroll pull their head out of their *** and actually utilize their first round pick, Penny actually improves creating a backfield threat comparable to New Orleans, Baldwin heals, Seattle drafts a TE in the 1st so we actually have a TE receiving threat, actually hit on a DL pick in the draft, and Wright/Wagner stay healthy. AND SPEND SOME MONEY ON A ******* KICKER who has cost us now 2 seasons (Walsh was a reason we missed the playoffs/Dickson obviously can't kickoff).

Do that, should be an easy 11-12 win season. Whitworth didn't retire, so that sucks. Rams should still be competitive but Suh will no longer be there and outside of the Rams' safeties/DTs, the rest of the defense sucks. 

Archived