NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOCK

Karnage84

Now that @IDOG_det has released his latest mock draft I decided to throw another one out for good measure. I did steal snippets of his in terms of some of the depth signings, RFA signings where I agreed and/or had no opinion on the player. In cases where there is a bit of a backlog (ex. TE), there are guys that will likely be cut or PS when it's time to build the full 53 man roster.

LIONS UFA'S

OLB Eli Harold 1 year,$2.25M

TE Levine Toilolo 1 year, $1.175

RB Zach Zenner 1 year, $1M

QB Matt Cassel 1 Year, Veteran Minimum ($735k)

OL Andrew Donnal 1 year, Veteran Minimum ($735k)

DL Ricky Jean-Francois 1 year, Veteran Minimum ($735k)

LS Don Muhlbach 1 year, Veteran Minimum ($735k)

TE Luke Willson 1 year, Veteran Minimum ($735k)

TOTAL UNRESTRICTED = $8.1M

LIONS RFA'S/ERFA's

DE Romeo Okwara RFA 2nd Round Tender ($3M)

DE Eric Lee --- Exclusive Rights Tender ($570k)

LB Steve Longa --- Exclusive Rights Tender ($645k)

CB Andre Chachere --- Exclusive Rights Tender ($570k)

S Charles Washington --- Exclusive Rights Tender ($645k)

DL Kerry Hyder --- RFA --- No Tender

DE Mitchell Loewen --- RFA --- No Tender

TOTAL RESTRICTED = $5.43M

NOT RE-SIGNED/RETIREMENTS

DE Ezekiel Ansah

WR TJ Jones

WR Bruce Ellington

LB Kelvin Sheppard

RB LeGarrette Blount

FB Nick Bellore

CB DeShawn Shead

CB Marcus Cooper

LB Trevor Bates

CB Dee Virgin

S Tavon Wilson

S Glover Quin

CB Nevin Lawson

INCREASED CAP: $15.56M

DEAD CAP: $3.575

NET: $11.985M

Lions Futures Contracts

QB Connor Cook (645k)

RB Mark Thompson (495k)

RB Kerwynn Williams (495k)

WR Deontez Alexander (495k)

OL Jarron Jones (495k)

LB Garret Dooley (495k)

EDGE Jonathan Wynn (495k)

S David Jones (495k)

P Ryan Santoso (495k)

TOTAL FUTURES CONTRACTS = $4.6M

RESTRUCTURED/EXTENDED

OG TJ Lang --- $2.6M > Value of dead money (Opens up $8.8M)

RT Ricky Wagner – $6M (Opens up $5.9M)

OPENING CAP SPACE: $29.9M

CARRYOVER CAP SPACE: +$5.58M

RE-SIGNING: -$8.1M

RFA/ERFA: -$5.43M

CUTS: +$11.985M

RESTRUCTURES: +$14.7M

TOTAL CAP: $48.635

Key Free Agent Signings

EDGE Trey Flowers --- 5 years, $90M = $18M APY

TE Jesse James --- 4 years, $32M = $6.5M APY < Used Trey Burton's 2017 production and 2018 contract as basis for comp

CB Kareem Jackson --- 2 years, $12M = $6M APY

CB Eric Rowe – 2 years $2.5M = $1.25M APY > Experience in MP's system. Young and added for depth

WR John Brown – 1 Year $4M APY > Deep threat

WR Jamison Crowder – 2 Years $2.25M =  $1.125M APY > Younger WR for depth

RB Mike Gillislee - 1 Year - $1M

TOTAL FA: $37.75M

NET CAP: $10.885

2019 DRAFT

ARI: Kyler Murray, QB, Okalahoma (Josh Rosen traded to NE for 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd)

SF: Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State

NYJ: Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

OAK: Josh Allen, Edge, Kentucky

JAX (from TB): Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State

NYG: Daniel Jones, QB, Duke

TB: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

WSH (from DET): Drew Lock, QB, Missouri

BUF: Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

DEN: Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

CIN: Devin White, LB, LSU

GB: Clelin Ferrell, Edge, Clemson

MIA: Rashan Gary, Edge, Michigan

ATL: Brian Burns, Edge, FSU

Washington trades 2019 1st, 2019 2nd, 2020 2nd in exchange for pick #8 > Washington is in desperate need for a QB to replace Alex Smith now and in the future. Relatively low price to get their guy

Rd1: Montez Sweat, Edge, Mississippi State > Drops a bit in a deep class and with QB's pushing talented players down the board

Rd2: Irv Smith, TE, Alabama > Even with adding James, there is a focus on adding talent to the TE position

Rd2 (from WSH) Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State > Defensive playmaker with great size. Will be groomed to take over from Jackson

Rd3: Dakota Allen, LB, Texas Tech > Adds dynamic playmaking ability to help improve the LB corp. Potential replacement for Christian Jones

Rd4: Ross Piersbacher, OG, Alabama > Potential replacement for Lang or Glasgow

Rd5: Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State

Rd6: Lukas Denis, FS, Boston College > Playmaking FS. Needs to work on his tackling but excels in coverage

Rd6: Trevon Wesco, TE, West Virginia > Former basketball player with great size at 6'7 and 280 lbs. Solid run blocker, still a work in progress as a receiver.

Rd7: Ed Alexander, NT, LSU

Rd7: Ta’Amu Jordan, QB, Ole Miss > Talented QB that needs time to develop.

See imo you can't spice up the secondary like that and expect it to work. 

Big if but if it were to fall like this..

1. Can't see anyone trading up for Locke especially that much

2. Love the trade down if your gonna do it better get more than a 3rdp...

3. I'd still get my guy lol

4. I like sweat but imo you have better players available.

5. I do agree we need a play maker on offence and that round two pick looks like the spot 

Just not a fan on the rest of draft

7 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

See imo you can't spice up the secondary like that and expect it to work. 

Big if but if it were to fall like this..

1. Can't see anyone trading up for Locke especially that much

2. Love the trade down if your gonna do it better get more than a 3rdp...

3. I'd still get my guy lol

4. I like sweat but imo you have better players available.

5. I do agree we need a play maker on offence and that round two pick looks like the spot 

Just not a fan on the rest of draft

Secondary: Slay is obviously our stud and constant. Diggs has played well at SS; we drafted Walker with the potential to fill in at FS; Rowe has experience in MP's defense and provides some depth; Jackson is a solid CB and could also be a very good SS (moving Diggs back to CB if needed). Agnew is also in the mix here. AO should be a solid CB but I don't expect the team wants to rush a young guy into a starting role. There's a good mix of veterans and young guys with versatility

Lock: Alex Smith is hurt, the Broncos could still be in the mix to take (Lock) at #10 and they don't have their guy for the future. It's not a big price to pay for moving up 7 spots. There's only 4 1st round QB's (and whether there's even 4 worth it is questionable). Murray goes to the Cards 1st overall; Giants get their Eli Trubisky with the intention of giving Cooper Manning's bro another year under center and the Jags snag arguably the best QB with a small jump up. Sometimes you have to make your move and get your guy if that's who you're looking for.

Who is your guy? Who do you think is there that would be better in that spot?

What about the draft do you not like in particular?

17 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Just different view on prospects/players

Team doesn't feel really any different besides the pr

Imo you didn't do enough for this offence 

Why I hate need based mocks... 

Btw I thought the lock trade was for 2020 1st and 2nd... my bad 

It wasn't meant to be a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely interested in who "your guy" would be at pick #15. I was running this scenario using Fanspeak to see who might be available in that spot. Sweat had a lot of buzz at the Senior Bowl for good/bad reasons. Great looks on field and measurables. Question marks about his maturity. There's a huge difference if we're looking for this guy to be 'the guy' as opposed to being the 2nd or 3rd option (depending on whether Okawra steps up and proves to be a legit starter). 

Offense: The offense did have a down year but I don't think we need to blow it up in full. We have a new scheme that is going to emphasize the run more and Kerryon is going to come in healthy. Zenner showed enough to be given a chance to compete. Riddick is still a solid pass catcher. Gillislee has some decent size and should come in cheap. There's likely a slew of UDFA options that could also wind up being productive players. There's definitely an argument that could be made to trade Riddick and grab a guy in the later rounds as a replacement. 

Tight Ends:I wanted to emphasize change and competition in the Tight End group. Roberts is still under contract, he's young and cheap. Willson is a vet, has experience in Bevell's system and is a good run blocker. Toilolo was the most productive guy in a poor group. Jesse James has shown flashes and is likely to get a Trey Burton-esque contract. He's a bit more of your traditional TE. Irv Smith is your move TE. He's basically an oversized WR and would need work as a run blocker. Wesco is a developmental guy and is more likely to wind up on the PS. This offense is going to need at least 4 TE's: Jesse James, Irv Smith, best two of Levine Toilolo, Luke Willson and Michael Roberts > Wesco on PS

WR's: Golloday is going to be in year 3, which means we should be seeing him at his best. Jones is going to be back and is healthy. The offense emphasizes the run and utilizes the TE>WR3. As a result, we're better off investing more in that group than the WR's. We still need to add some pieces. Brown is a vet guy that is a deep threat and adds some speed. Crowder is a younger guy that has been a starter. He hasn't shown enough to warrant a big contract. McLaurin can get separation and has decent enough size. He's heir apparent to Marvin Jones. 

OL: I don't see the point in blowing this up. Lang seems to want to come back. If we can re-work some of these deals and get some extra cap space, I'd like to keep the group together. However we do need to have guys that can compete and potentially replace a Lang or a Glasgow. Piersbacher could play OC or OG. We still have Crosby on the roster. 

Trade: Nope, 2019 1st, 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd. I think that's a fair trade for both teams as long as Washington feels that Lock could be their guy of the future. They're basically getting him for the value of a 2nd and a 3rd (since a future pick is generally worth one lesser round). If the top end talent is off of the board, it just gives the Lions more ammunition to add guys who can be impact players in the draft. 

A solid stuff right here. A, grade work, imo. Would love this offseason. Nice blend of good veterans to ease the draft picks in. 

I like every signing basically and the first four picks so... BOOM for me. Only think I can pick at your about is... Where is my OLINE BRAH. Where's my help? You're cutting guys, and replacing them with mid round picks.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

It wasn't meant to be a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely interested in who "your guy" would be at pick #15. I was running this scenario using Fanspeak to see who might be available in that spot. Sweat had a lot of buzz at the Senior Bowl for good/bad reasons. Great looks on field and measurables. Question marks about his maturity. There's a huge difference if we're looking for this guy to be 'the guy' as opposed to being the 2nd or 3rd option (depending on whether Okawra steps up and proves to be a legit starter). 

Offense: The offense did have a down year but I don't think we need to blow it up in full. We have a new scheme that is going to emphasize the run more and Kerryon is going to come in healthy. Zenner showed enough to be given a chance to compete. Riddick is still a solid pass catcher. Gillislee has some decent size and should come in cheap. There's likely a slew of UDFA options that could also wind up being productive players. There's definitely an argument that could be made to trade Riddick and grab a guy in the later rounds as a replacement. 

Tight Ends:I wanted to emphasize change and competition in the Tight End group. Roberts is still under contract, he's young and cheap. Willson is a vet, has experience in Bevell's system and is a good run blocker. Toilolo was the most productive guy in a poor group. Jesse James has shown flashes and is likely to get a Trey Burton-esque contract. He's a bit more of your traditional TE. Irv Smith is your move TE. He's basically an oversized WR and would need work as a run blocker. Wesco is a developmental guy and is more likely to wind up on the PS. This offense is going to need at least 4 TE's: Jesse James, Irv Smith, best two of Levine Toilolo, Luke Willson and Michael Roberts > Wesco on PS

WR's: Golloday is going to be in year 3, which means we should be seeing him at his best. Jones is going to be back and is healthy. The offense emphasizes the run and utilizes the TE>WR3. As a result, we're better off investing more in that group than the WR's. We still need to add some pieces. Brown is a vet guy that is a deep threat and adds some speed. Crowder is a younger guy that has been a starter. He hasn't shown enough to warrant a big contract. McLaurin can get separation and has decent enough size. He's heir apparent to Marvin Jones. 

OL: I don't see the point in blowing this up. Lang seems to want to come back. If we can re-work some of these deals and get some extra cap space, I'd like to keep the group together. However we do need to have guys that can compete and potentially replace a Lang or a Glasgow. Piersbacher could play OC or OG. We still have Crosby on the roster. 

Trade: Nope, 2019 1st, 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd. I think that's a fair trade for both teams as long as Washington feels that Lock could be their guy of the future. They're basically getting him for the value of a 2nd and a 3rd (since a future pick is generally worth one lesser round). If the top end talent is off of the board, it just gives the Lions more ammunition to add guys who can be impact players in the draft. 

Why would you have to blow things up?

You can give your opinion how you feel about your players but it's not gonna change my mind. I know who these players are too

Idc what kind of offence he runs I sure as hell ain't drafting for him...

He uses tes so let's go get him a 1str te

Are you fn kidding... 

I did a mock I like Taylor 

17 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

A solid stuff right here. A, grade work, imo. Would love this offseason. Nice blend of good veterans to ease the draft picks in. 

I like every signing basically and the first four picks so... BOOM for me. Only think I can pick at your about is... Where is my OLINE BRAH. Where's my help? You're cutting guys, and replacing them with mid round picks.

The biggest hole on the OL that we have is RG and that's dependent on what happens with Lang. I think he's going to be coming back at a vastly reduced contract. Piersbacher and/or Crosby could fill in at that spot. Wagner is still the starting RT but he's also back on a restructured deal (maybe that's why you're thinking there's cuts without replacements?). 

18 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Why would you have to blow things up?

You can give your opinion how you feel about your players but it's not gonna change my mind. I know who these players are too

Idc what kind of offence he runs I sure as hell ain't drafting for him...

He uses tes so let's go get him a 1str te

Are you fn kidding... 

I did a mock I like Taylor 

To each their own. If you bring in an OC who runs a specific offense and you have holes on your team at key positions of that offense it can't hurt to try and fill those holes. If we had 3 stud WR's then it would make sense for Bevell to tailor his offense to fit our personnel. We have a major hole at TE as it is... his offense just happens to feature that position. Since we already have to address it, it's not a huge stretch in emphasizing it to compliment the scheme. 

I've spent years hating on Ebron's pick. I'd be ticked if they took another TE in the top 10... heck, even if they took Hockenson at 15 I wouldn't be thrilled. The majority of top TE's have been taken in later rounds and the position takes time to develop. You want an instant impact guy with your 1st round pick. I don't see what the issue is by signing a FA TE and drafting a 2nd round guy. 

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

To each their own. If you bring in an OC who runs a specific offense and you have holes on your team at key positions of that offense it can't hurt to try and fill those holes. If we had 3 stud WR's then it would make sense for Bevell to tailor his offense to fit our personnel. We have a major hole at TE as it is... his offense just happens to feature that position. Since we already have to address it, it's not a huge stretch in emphasizing it to compliment the scheme. 

I've spent years hating on Ebron's pick. I'd be ticked if they took another TE in the top 10... heck, even if they took Hockenson at 15 I wouldn't be thrilled. The majority of top TE's have been taken in later rounds and the position takes time to develop. You want an instant impact guy with your 1st round pick. I don't see what the issue is by signing a FA TE and drafting a 2nd round guy. 

Dude you really think Lang can be depended on... 

How about we see how this oc is before drafting for the guy... wth

Stafford is to flippn scared to even work a te... we've drafted two first round te for this man TWO NOW 3

It's simply not gonna work.. history tells us with this qb. This is like Lombardi all over again 

And thinking explain how this oc uses tes... for blockers? What te has produced in his offence? Explain why this oc needs a first rd te

19 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Dude you really think Lang can be depended on... 

How about we see how this oc is before drafting for the guy... wth

Stafford is to flippn scared to even work a te... we've drafted two first round te for this man TWO NOW 3

It's simply not gonna work.. history tells us with this qb. This is like Lombardi all over again 

And thinking explain how this oc uses tes... for blockers? What te has produced in his offence? Explain why this oc needs a first rd te

Lang seems to want to come back. When he's healthy, he's good. The issue has been his health. If he is willing to come back for a contract equivalent to his dead cap ($2.2M) then what do we have to lose? TJ Lang has a PFF score of 72.0. Wagner has a 71.6. The Colts had one of the better OL's this season. Braden Smith, their RT was graded out at 71.4. Even stud LG Quenton Nelson graded out at a 76.4. Sometimes the issue isn't the player but it's what we're trying to do in a bad scheme. The scheme change could be the difference maker. We need to get Lang's eventual replacement but I don't think he'll be gone until after this season.

We need a TE already as it is.... and we brought in a guy to run an offense. Doesn't make a lot of sense to expect a carpenter to try to build a house but not give him any nails or a saw. Bevell at least has a lot of experience in various spots in the NFL. Lombardi was a fresh face. It's not the same thing at all.

I don't think I've advocated once for a 1st round TE. My mock has a FA signing in Jesse James and a 2nd round selection in Irv Smith.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Lang seems to want to come back. When he's healthy, he's good. The issue has been his health. If he is willing to come back for a contract equivalent to his dead cap ($2.2M) then what do we have to lose? TJ Lang has a PFF score of 72.0. Wagner has a 71.6. The Colts had one of the better OL's this season. Braden Smith, their RT was graded out at 71.4. Even stud LG Quenton Nelson graded out at a 76.4. Sometimes the issue isn't the player but it's what we're trying to do in a bad scheme. The scheme change could be the difference maker. We need to get Lang's eventual replacement but I don't think he'll be gone until after this season.

We need a TE already as it is.... and we brought in a guy to run an offense. Doesn't make a lot of sense to expect a carpenter to try to build a house but not give him any nails or a saw. Bevell at least has a lot of experience in various spots in the NFL. Lombardi was a fresh face. It's not the same thing at all.

I don't think I've advocated once for a 1st round TE. My mock has a FA signing in Jesse James and a 2nd round selection in Irv Smith.

You totally missed the part with Stafford and tes

Or tes producing in his offence.. atleast lombardi had tes that actually produced

If Quinn does this I'm ok with it bc he'll be gone

6 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

You totally missed the part with Stafford and tes

Or tes producing in his offence.. atleast lombardi had tes that actually produced

If Quinn does this I'm ok with it bc he'll be gone

What about Jimmy Graham putting up nearly 1,000 yards and 6 TD's in 2016 or 520 yards and 10 TD's in 2017? 2009 Vikings - Visanthe Shiancoe put up 566 yards and 11 TD's. Stafford has received some Favre comparisons, at least early on being a gunslinger. Favre threw for 4200 yards, 33 TD's to 7 INT's and a 68% passing completion. That team went 12-4.

If we compare one of the top TE's in Kelce vs Eric Ebron (since he's the most recent example of our lack of success at TE)

KELCE - 3rd Round Pick

2014: 87 Targets (77% Completion), 862 Yards, 5 TD < Year 2

2015: 103 Targets (69% Completion), 875 Yards, 5 TD < Year 3

2016: 117 Targets (72.6% Completion), 1125 Yards, 4 TD

2017: 122 Targets (68% Completion), 1038 Yards, 8 TD

2018: 150 Targets (68.7% Completion), 1336 Yards, 10 TD

AVG: 71.06% Completion

EBRON - 1st Round Pick

2014: 47 Targets (53.2% Completion), 248 Yards, 1 TD

2015: 70 Targets (67.1% Completion), 537 Yards, 5 TD < Year 2

2016: 85 Targets (71.8% Completion), 711 Yards, 1 TD < Year 3

2017: 86 Targets (61.6% Completion), 574 Yards, 4 TD

2018 (IND): 110 Targets (60.0% Completion), 750 Yards, 13 TD

AVG: 62.74% Completion (-8.32% from Kelce)

Ebron wasn't reliable and he wasn't able to generate the production when he was targeted. Maybe it's scheme, maybe it's coaching. Outside of the TD's, Ebron wasn't much better in Indy. Stafford does have to shoulder some of the blame but Ebron isn't a top guy either.

2 hours ago, MortexLion said:

Ebron had a pro bowl year...it wasn't him it was the coaches and scheme...it just didn't work out....If we draft a TE first round I'm flying back to Detroit to personally Rip Quins Head off.

Even in a new scheme, Ebron's completion percentage wasn't much better than it was in Detroit. The Colts used him effectively in the red zone which helped with the TD's. Otherwise, he was marginally better. Stafford likely would have fed him more targets if he had more faith in him. 

Archived