Fastest Way to Contend Mock Offseason

BayRaider

IMO this is our fastest way to have a shot to make the playoffs in 2019 (although I expect a different approach and probably a 5 win season). I'm not saying this is NECESSARILY what I would do as I don't have much hopes for competing in 2019. However, if I was trying to turn this ship around as fast as I could, this would be the steps I take. (this does not me I'm over spending in FA).

Free Agency:

Re-Sign TE Jared Cook

Sign DE Brandon Graham

Sign ILB CJ Mosley

Sign S HaHa Clinton-Dix

Sign WR Donte Moncrief

These are four medium level signings that should give us more than enough room to have a flexible cap for potential draft day trades. Also, Moncrief should be dirt cheap and has the potential to be a decent , probably low end #2 WR.

- HaHa Clinton-Dix is a good coverage FS with good range. He's not great by any means but he's solid and the exact kind of safety we need. HE IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF REGGIE NELSON. Thanks.

- Mosley has pass coverage concerns but we have needed a MLB for ages and Mosley is the best run defending LB in the league and a absolutely excellent leader.

- Brandon Graham is always underrated. The casual fan will be scared of his low sack numbers but he was PFF's #3 Edge Rusher in 2018, #1 in Run Defense, and #4 in QB Pressures with 70. He has made PFF's Top 50 NFL Players five years in a row.

- Cook is a beast who we need and saves us from spending a 1st/2nd Round Pick on a TE.

Cuts:

WR Jordy Nelson

WR Brandon LaFell

WR Martavis Bryant

Cut. Them. All.

The worst WR corps in the league, I don't wanna say by far cause the Bills corps is really bad too, but it's BAD. This WR corps is probably even worse than the Ronald Curry and Louis Murphy led corps from '06 to '09. Good god. Jordy is average at best now and slow as can be. Very washed up. LaFell was ok honestly but tore his ACL late. Bryant suspended probably forever. Get rid of them all. I'll keep Seth one more year just cause we need some ok speed at WR.

Also Cut Donald Penn

Draft:

Trade:

Jags wanna move up, not willing to trade any picks after serious talks. They want Haskins but not desperate. Raiders ask for a 2nd but the answer is no. Instead of settling for a 3rd/6th, we take a gamble on Leonard Fournette to swap 4 and 7. I really think Fournette could be a solid NFL RB still in the NFL, and we still have our pass-catching RB in Richard who is really underrated. Fournette is that grinder that Gruden loves.

Pick #7 DE Clelin Ferrell

Yeah, yeah boring pick. Ferrell is going to be a solid DE in a 4-3 scheme. Maybe not Pro Bowler more than a couple times in his career but he's gonna be a durable DE who's an elite run defender and can pile up 8 sacks a year. His NFL comp ironically could be Brandon Graham who I have us signing. Two elite run defenders on the edge who both use pure power to rush the QB. Good luck running to the side. 

Pick #24 LB Devin Bush

I almost have to change Bush sometimes cause he's in almost all my mocks and it gets repetitive. That's how much I like this guy. Not worried about his size honestly and have him playing the weakside backer position. This kids motor is relentless and he is solid in all areas of the game.

Pick #27 OT Andre Dilliard

I'm not sure he'll still be here as he may climb up draft boards after he destroys the combine but Dilliard is a All Pro LT, no doubt in my mind. Move Kolton to RT. Gruden may be confident in Brandon Parker, I am absolutely NOT confident in Mr. Parker.

Pick #35 WR Kelvin Harmon

I like Harmon a lot. He's somewhat of a boom or bust but more of a boom imo. He's either a slightly slower AJ Green or a slightly faster LaQuon Treadwell. Leaning more towards the former. He just doesn't stop and catches everything. Most clutch WR in football. I like A LOT of WRs at this spot though. AJ Brown, Riley Ridley, and Deebo Samuel are all fine substitutes. Pick your poison (if they are there).

Pick #66 WR Terry McLaurin

Unfortunately, just like Dilliard, I think McLaurin is gonna shoot up the draft board after the combine. He's projected a Mid 3rd Round Pick at the moment but if he runs a 4.37ish you could easily see him sneak into the 2nd Round. McLaurin has good height and solid speed and would excel in the slot or as a #2. He's versatile and was a big target for Dwayne Haskins at Ohio State.

Pick #106 QB Ryan Finley

Backup QB is a very valuable position in the NFL these days. Ask the 2016 Raiders and 2018 Eagles. Yeah, we invested a 5th Round Pick into McCarron.. but that's just a pick we need to eat. I don't trust McCarron at all. I really love Finley and feel if Carr faulters, Finley can be given a chance. McCarron can be our clipboard holder this year and then cut after this season.

Pick #141 TE Zach Gentry

Another weapon for Carr and create some 2 TE sets with Cook. Gentry has loads of potential... and is... 6'8". Yeah.

Depth Chart:

QB Derek Carr

RB Leonard Fournette

RB Jalen Richard

WR Kelvin Harmon

WR Donte Moncrief

Slot WR Terry McLaurin

WR4 Seth Roberts

TE Jared Cook
TE Zach Gentry

LT Andre Dilliard

LG Kelichi Osemele

C Rodney Hudson

RG Gabe Jackson

RT Kolton Miller

DE Clelin Ferrell

DT Maurice Hurst

DT Haskins/Ellis

DE Brandon Graham

SLB Marquel Lee

MLB CJ Mosley

WLB Devin Bush

FS HaHa Clinton-Dix

CB Gareon Conley

CB Daryl Worley

SS Karl Joseph

Don't want fournette or his attitude with the team.

We paid jordy his roster bonus already and need a vet Wr he was servicable for what we needed from him. 

Trading down im good with but depends heavily on who is there at #4. Also may rather take Gary over ferrell not sure yet.

3 hours ago, roi34 said:

Don't want fournette or his attitude with the team.

We paid jordy his roster bonus already and need a vet Wr he was servicable for what we needed from him. 

Trading down im good with but depends heavily on who is there at #4. Also may rather take Gary over ferrell not sure yet.

Perhaps we take a 3rd and 6th instead of Fournette then and get Damien Harris in the 3rd.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Perhaps we take a 3rd and 6th instead of Fournette then and get Damien Harris in the 3rd.

3rd they better be giving us more than a swap and 3rd. But yeah rather draft a rb. Harris not sure about him in nfl though. 

Archived