Bears Bring Back Brad Childress as Sr. Offensive Asst.

soulman

Chicago Bears hire Brad Childress as Senior Offensive Assistant

ByMatt Eurich 32 minutes ago

Brad Childress is now a member of the Chicago Bears coaching staff. The Bears announced on Wednesday they have hired Childress as their senior offensive assistant.

Childress worked with Bears head coach Matt Nagy in Kansas City and served as an offensive consultant for part of the last offseason in Chicago. He was originally named the head coach of the Atlanta Legends of the Alliance of American Football but resigned from the position just a month before the start of the league's firstand onlyseason.

Childress served as the assistant head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2017 when Nagy was the offensive coordinator under head coach Andy Reid. Childress announced he was going to retire from coaching at the end of that season. Roughly a week after Childress decided to retire from the Chiefs and the NFL, he opted to join Nagy and the Bears as an offensive consultant.

Childress and Nagy's time in Kansas City overlapped between 2013 and 2017. Nagy worked as the quarterbacks coach between 2013 and 2015 before becoming the offensive coordinator in 2016. Childress was the team's spread game analyst between 2013 and 2015 before sharing the offensive coordinator role with Nagy in 2016. In 2017 he was promoted to assistant head coach.

At the time of his hiring, Nagy was nothing but complimentary toward Childress and called him his "partner in crime."

‘‘Every day he was telling stories and being there for me, being there with me,’’ Nagy said in January of 2018, via Patrick Finley of the Chicago Sun-Times. ‘‘He has a special place in my heart, and I just thank him from the bottom of my heart.’’

A native of Aurora, Illinois, and a graduate of Eastern Illinois, Childress has been a coach since 1978. He coached at Illinois between 1978 and 1984 before jumping into the NFL as the quarterbacks coach of the Indianapolis Colts. He then worked in college football between 1986 and 1998 at Northern Arizona, Utah and Wisconsin. He then joined Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia as the quarterbacks coach between 1999 and 2001 before becoming the offensive coordinator in 2002.

In 2005 he became the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings and went 39-35 in his five seasons there. After a brief stint as the offensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns in 2012, he re-joined Reid in Kansas City as the spread game analyst.

Childress stayed mostly out of the limelight during his first stint with the Bears. By all accounts, he was originally brought in to help Nagy install the offense. Given the fact that Nagy has a year of coaching this scheme in Chicago under his belt, it will be interesting to see exactly how big of a role Childress takes on this time around.

Nagy did a great job of building an offensive staff when he was originally hired and bringing along Childress for a second go-around will only help to strengthen Chicago's offense.