ESPN Predictions

UKTexans

So ESPN have released an article and they predicted us to go 9-7, here's the link:

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/20277/three-straight-home-games-could-give-houston-texans-edge-in-afc-south

Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 10, vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, W Record: 1-0

Week 2: Thursday, Sept. 14, at Cincinnati Bengals, W Record: 2-0

Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 24, at New England Patriots, L Record: 2-1

Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 1, vs. Tennessee Titans, W Record: 3-1

Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 8, vs. Kansas City Chiefs, W Record: 4-1

Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 15, vs. Cleveland Browns, W Record: 5-1

Week 7: BYE

Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 29, at Seattle Seahawks, L Record: 5-2

Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 5, vs. Indianapolis Colts, W Record: 6-2

Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 12, at Los Angeles Rams, W Record:7-2

Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 19, vs. Arizona Cardinals, L Record: 7-3

Week 12: Monday, Nov. 27, at Baltimore Ravens, L Record: 7-4

Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 3, at Tennessee Titans, L Record: 7-5

Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 10, vs. San Francisco 49ers, W  Record: 8-5

Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 17, at Jacksonville Jaguars, W Record: 9-5

Week 16: Monday, Dec. 25, vs. Pittsburgh Steelers, L Record: 9-6

Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 31, at Indianapolis Colts, L Record: 9-7

They haven't really put a lot of thought into it, I think they have just looked at our history and just used that as a barometer.

For completions sake they have:

Titans 11-5

Colts 7-9

Jags 4-12

A 7-2 start, a 9-7 finish? Yeesh, talk about a collapse down the stretch. Not exactly our MO, we start slow and finish strong...

Very optimistic on us before the bye, even scoring a W against KC. The Baltimore loss, the Arizona loss, the Indy loss - I can see one of those three losses actually happening. All three would be back breaking losses if we started off that hot.

I'm thinking KC is a loss, but Baltimore and Indy are Ws for a 10-6 ending. Might squeeze into a WC, get a 3rd game against Tennessee in the first round. 

If Indy goes 4-12 and ends up with the #1 pick, they're going to get a HAUL from somebody for Darnold. They'll be set up for the long run in terms of draft capital, much like how Tennessee got set up by the Goff trade.

6 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

A 7-2 start, a 9-7 finish? Yeesh, talk about a collapse down the stretch. Not exactly our MO, we start slow and finish strong...

Look at the results. 

Losses to Pats, Hawks, Ravens, Steelers and Colts. Teams were traditionally do poorly against. 

Then the wins, Jags, 49ers, Rams and Bengals. Teams we would expect to beat. 

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Look at the results. 

Losses to Pats, Hawks, Ravens, Steelers and Colts. Teams were traditionally do poorly against. 

Then the wins, Jags, 49ers, Rams and Bengals. Teams we would expect to beat. 

I don't disagree we don't do well against those teams - save for the Colts and Ravens. We've had their number recently, and given the uncertainty with both Joe Flacco and Andrew Luck, it takes quite the leap of faith to think they'll muster up enough offense to beat us. (I'm very convinced Luck misses the season, and Flacco will be a shell of himself - which is average at best).

I think you said it best early, it was a lazy analysis. Just looked at past results as their gauge.

3 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Scary thing is they have the Titans at 11-5. If that were to happen you have to think we're struggling to make the wild card at 9-7.

Oh yeah. Very possible that we're on the outside looking in if Tennessee breaks double digits. Then you gotta think that Cincy, KC/Oakland and Miami becomes our worst enemy.

(Less Miami, given their QB situation).

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

-If we finish 9-7 (again) and miss the playoffs O'Brien should be canned.

I'm not interested in turning every thread into a Bill O'Brien discussion, so I'll simply state that I disagree.

21 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Yeah. Being mediocre in sports is the absolute worst thing. I'm not content at being mediocre.

Not sure if that's sarcasm. But in a league of 32 teams, with a salary cap and a draft (basically a sport built for peaks and troughs), mediocrity is like purgatory. 

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

Not sure if that's sarcasm. But in a league of 32 teams, with a salary cap and a draft (basically a sport built for peaks and troughs), mediocrity is like purgatory. 

Kind of to my first point - what happens if [insert new coach here] just tanks out? What if we fall into a trough and simply stay there?

Archived