Telvin Smith sitting out 2019

17 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-josh-allens-versatility-makes-him-a-top-5-pick

his last years of coverage grades were pretty good for an edge.   he got a 78.3 and 83.2 coverage grades the last 2 seasons.  the last 2 years hes dropped into coverage appx 300 times. 

last year he forced 6 incompletions on 21 targets which is a pretty good number.  lets not forget his main job was being an edge and not being a simple 4-3 LB either ;)

tweets in reference

7 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/film-room-todd-wash-is-the-problem-for-the-jaguars-defense/

They speak about Todd Wash’s in ability to properly diagnose when to use a zone blitz in this article actually. 

Thanks for posting an article that confirms what I said that we already run some zone blitz.

Whether they are used at optimal points in games is a completely different discussion.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Thanks for posting an article that confirms what I said that we already run some zone blitz.

Whether they are used at optimal points in games is a completely different discussion.

What’s the point of zone blitzing if you get exposed while you do it? Sort of like the Jags just lining up playing football for 9 of the past 10 seasons. I guess if you line up enough seasons your bound to get in the playoffs at least once. Sort of like a Todd Wash zone blitz if you run it enough eventually it’ll work sooner or later I suppose. 🤔

Edited by DuvalsKing

9 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

What’s the point of zone blitzing if you get exposed while you do it? Sort of like the Jags just lining up playing football for 9 of the past 10 seasons. I guess if you line up enough seasons your bound to get in the playoffs at least once. Sort of like a Todd Wash zone blitz if you run it enough eventually it’ll work sooner or later I suppose. 🤔

I'm not disagreeing that it is important to run them at optimal times and that we need to do a better job of doing it. I'm disagreeing that it is at all relevant to what I was saying.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:34 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Besides, him being a pass rusher primarily still doesn't take away our ability to work in some zone blitz stuff where Allen is the one who drops back. I'm sure that will still be included too.

On 6/5/2019 at 6:21 AM, DuvalsKing said:

With Wash I highly doubt it.

On 6/5/2019 at 8:14 AM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Considering that in Wash's time as DC we've already seen some zone blitz plays where DEs or DTs drop back...

and then you posted an article saying that we already run zone blitzes

I'm really not sure why this is so difficult to follow.

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

and then you posted an article saying that we already run zone blitzes

I'm really not sure why this is so difficult to follow.

Nobody refutes if Wash is going to use zone blitz or not. I’m saying highly doubt you ever see Allen stand up as a prototypical OLB. Nobody is doubting whether he’ll drop into coverage as a DE in the scheme. I’m merely speaking in primarily how he’ll be used. Which is with his hand in the ground; it’s the same reason Dante Fowler’s talent were not unlocked. Because they put him in a box when he could have done so much more for you. Fowler clearly was not a great edge rusher. But Fowler is undoubtedly a solid football player there could have been times where Fowler could have lined up over a G inside or could have used his athleticism at that size and speed to stand him up to create more havoc. This team is known to handcuff a player by banging square pegs into round holes. I see more of the same for Josh which is why this will be another failed Jags pick. Because if you drafted Josh to put his hand in the ground on every snap it would be sort of like the Jets signing Bell to hand it off to him 30 plays a game and not use his skills in the passing game its a waste.

Edited by DuvalsKing

27 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Do you see Allen standing up as a OLB yes or no?

That isn't what we disagreed on. You disagreed that Josh Allen would ever drop back in zone blitzes, I said that we already have plays where DEs (or DTs) drop back on zone blitzes, and then you posted an article confirming what I had said. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

That isn't what we disagreed on. You disagreed that Josh Allen would ever drop back in zone blitzes, I said that we already have plays where DEs (or DTs) drop back on zone blitzes, and then you posted an article confirming what I had said. 

Todd Wash-‘direct quote’: “I honestly can’t say, being a D-line coach, that I get too excited about a 15-sack guy dropping into coverage. Hopefully, you won’t see too damn much of that.”

I didn’t think I had to break out crayons for the obvious. What DC in the league that runs 43 that doesn’t zone blitz by dropping DEs and DTs? Is this some innovative scheme that Wash has embarked on? I thought that was pretty self explanatory but I guess not. Then I comeback explain in-depth but you still want to imply what you think you interpreted. 

I felt Tug was right in his original statement  about it being a wasted pick. The Jags are essentially saying we’re going to draft a 34 OLB and put his hand in the ground predominantly as a 43 DE. Sounds like shades of Bryce Paup all over again to me. Even though it’s still early in Josh’s development not saying he can’t do it but to me it seem logical to take a football player and what you’ve seen him do naturally and excel at a high level doing it and use him in that fashion. Than to draft him and have him do something he’s not naturally good at and have him do only that is not smart. Which is one of the reason this franchise keeps losing there is no forward thinking with this team. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

On 03/06/2019 at 1:34 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

It really depends on how things work out. If he's more someone like Julian Peterson where he's good at getting to the pass rusher, but not elite, and is best used as someone who moves around doing different things then yeah this is disappointing. If he's like Khalil Mack though where he has that elite pass rush ability but is also a great linebacker then it still just makes more sense to play him as a primary pass rusher. That's a big reason why the Raiders moved Mack to a more traditional pass rush role his sophomore NFL season despite a strong rookie season at linebacker. 

I'm not saying Josh Allen is Khalil Mack; just that they have similar qualities and I am sure the hope is that Allen can give us another elite level pass rusher. Besides, him being a pass rusher primarily still doesn't take away our ability to work in some zone blitz stuff where Allen is the one who drops back. I'm sure that will still be included too.

Fair enough.  If Josh Allen ends up like Mack where you just want him getting after it as much as possible...no big deal.  I'm just not convinced that's going to be the case, especially in year 1...with Yan and Calais already likely to eat up a lot of those edge snaps.  Just seems like taking Allen's potential versatility, wadding it up in a ball and firing it in the trash can.

On 10/06/2019 at 2:50 AM, DuvalsKing said:

Todd Wash-‘direct quote’: “I honestly can’t say, being a D-line coach, that I get too excited about a 15-sack guy dropping into coverage. Hopefully, you won’t see too damn much of that.”

I didn’t think I had to break out crayons for the obvious. What DC in the league that runs 43 that doesn’t zone blitz by dropping DEs and DTs? Is this some innovative scheme that Wash has embarked on? I thought that was pretty self explanatory but I guess not. Then I comeback explain in-depth but you still want to imply what you think you interpreted. 

I felt Tug was right in his original statement  about it being a wasted pick. The Jags are essentially saying we’re going to draft a 34 OLB and put his hand in the ground predominantly as a 43 DE. Sounds like shades of Bryce Paup all over again to me. Even though it’s still early in Josh’s development not saying he can’t do it but to me it seem logical to take a football player and what you’ve seen him do naturally and excel at a high level doing it and use him in that fashion. Than to draft him and have him do something he’s not naturally good at and have him do only that is not smart. Which is one of the reason this franchise keeps losing there is no forward thinking with this team. 

This isn't what i said though.  Allen isn't a "wasted pick" in any way shape or form.  I'm excited about him, even if he does end up underutilized as a pure DE type here.

I said, it's a waste of Allen's potential versatility as a potentially movable piece to get him on the field more often and in more naturally disguised looks.  Which is a very different complaint.