Is Pace Trubisky Proof

WindyCity

15 hours ago, soulman said:

Maybe that would make an extension cheaper now than after he won an NFC Championship or a Super Bowl.  That could be a motive for doing it now.

Uhhh... Pace has already doubled-down on Trubisky being good enough to build a win-now-and-****-the-future team,  that would be quadrupling down

I _think_ Trubisky is going to be good, or at least good enough, but I would be really upset if they did that early.  This team is built with a short window, and I'm prepared to see them go balls to the wall for 2019 and 2020, and then a big adjustment period after that where the team is letting big names walk and probably regressing. 

• Like 1

Obviously, what Trubisky becomes independently of anyone else is what Pace will truly be judged on.

But, I think a comparison between him and others in the draft class is fair when discussing Pace's ability to evaluate the QB position.

The Glennon move was an epic turd and if the Trubisky move becomes less than we hope that would be 2 misses at the position.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Obviously, what Trubisky becomes independently of anyone else is what Pace will truly be judged on.

But, I think a comparison between him and others in the draft class is fair when discussing Pace's ability to evaluate the QB position.

The Glennon move was an epic turd and if the Trubisky move becomes less than we hope that would be 2 misses at the position.

THat's fair, but Mahomes is really destroying the QB draft evaluations for 2017.  That guy is a black swan event in QB play, and there isn't a team that wouldn't have moved up in that draft if they thought he could be what he is.  Comparing Watson and Trubisky is more fair, as there was a legitimate debate there, and teams, experts and fans all thought one of those would be the top QB.  

Here's another annoying question: If Trubisky doesn't look better this year, what do you want Pace to do in 2020? Cut and run: trade assets for picks, get out from big contracts, start thinking about the next rebuild?  Trade for a better QB and REALLY give up the next couple years? Stick it out with T?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

THat's fair, but Mahomes is really destroying the QB draft evaluations for 2017.  That guy is a black swan event in QB play, and there isn't a team that wouldn't have moved up in that draft if they thought he could be what he is.  Comparing Watson and Trubisky is more fair, as there was a legitimate debate there, and teams, experts and fans all thought one of those would be the top QB.  

Here's another annoying question: If Trubisky doesn't look better this year, what do you want Pace to do in 2020? Cut and run: trade assets for picks, get out from big contracts, start thinking about the next rebuild?  Trade for a better QB and REALLY give up the next couple years? Stick it out with T?

I think we ride with Trubisky for 2019 and 2020 when he is still cheap and then make some decisions.

I think Pace gets another QB because of the team he built regardless of the QB spot. This time around he will have Nagy, which should help.

If 2018 Trubisky is all Trubisky becomes, I think that would be pretty devastating to Pace, because of how committed he was to the pick, and Nagy would become the more powerful member of the team.

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

That is an annoying question.  Not even going to think about that. 

Thats like asking what if Bulls don't get number one pick this year.  Bad example. 

Like asking what if your starting QB gets hurt.  Well you're f'd for awhile my dude. 

Just now, dll2000 said:

Thats like asking what if Bulls don't get number one pick this year.  Bad example. 

Like asking what if your starting QB gets hurt.  Well you're f'd for awhile my dude. 

Ha, that's totally fair.  

I'm always keeping worst-case scenario in mind to have a plan,  it's not a fun thought this. 

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The Bulls should have been asking the entire time they were tanking "what if we get the 7th pick" that way they would have at least been prepared for what happened.

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Ha, that's totally fair.  

I'm always keeping worst-case scenario in mind to have a plan,  it's not a fun thought this. 

Worst case scenario usually means you lose no matter what.  The back up running the table happens once a Blue Moon.

Giants with some guy forgetting his name, Brady who is Brady and Philly's Foles.  Can't think of who else did it. 

Usually you just end up with a top draft pick.  

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Bulls should have been asking the entire time they were tanking "what if we get the 7th pick" that way they would have at least been prepared for what happened.

NBA is 5 guys playing offense and defense. Either you get 2 or 3 of very top players on your team or you lose.  

Only way to do it is top draft pick, getting a foreign player others over looked or FA deciding to come to you. 

• Like 2

I would really like to see the Bears draft someone on day 3 next year to at least get another young guy in the pipeline.

There is literally no downside and it could provide them some insurance.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

I think Mitch has clearly shown  enough floor to justify the pick from any perspective ... draft picks are a crap shoot esp at QB, plenty of undeniable qb talents wash out when exposed to NFL defense and pressure ...

My favorite thing about MT is his ability to keep plays alive AND move the chains ... 

To me Tru is already a rich man's Alex Smith/poor man's RussWilson ...

He may never carry a team like some of the elite passers but if he can eliminate the dangerous throws that we saw from him this season, he is everything we need to win SBs ...and his next contract will not be any sort of cap burden, which may be MTs best attribute moving forward  ...team-centered winning rather than QB-centered winning ...

That said, the dude has only started like 30 games since High School  !!! His NFL team just won 12 (should have been 14)  games in his first year as full-time starter ... I don't think that Pace necessarily set out with this particular plan in mind, but team-centered football with affordable high quality winning talent is what he has built. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

NBA is 5 guys playing offense and defense. Either you get 2 or 3 of very top players on your team or you lose.  

Only way to do it is top draft pick, getting a foreign player others over looked or FA deciding to come to you. 

...and solid coaching

18 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

I think Mitch has clearly shown  enough floor to justify the pick from any perspective ... draft picks are a crap shoot esp at QB, plenty of undeniable qb talents wash out when exposed to NFL defense and pressure ...

My favorite thing about MT is his ability to keep plays alive AND move the chains ... 

To me Tru is already a rich man's Alex Smith/poor man's RussWilson ...

He may never carry a team like some of the elite passers but if he can eliminate the dangerous throws that we saw from him this season, he is everything we need to win SBs ...and his next contract will not be any sort of cap burden, which may be MTs best attribute moving forward  ...team-centered winning rather than QB-centered winning ...

That said, the dude has only started like 30 games since High School  !!! His NFL team just won 12 (should have been 14)  games in his first year as full-time starter ... I don't think that Pace necessarily set out with this particular plan in mind, but team-centered football with affordable high quality winning talent is what he has built. 

I would not count on Trubisky being cheap at all. Just wait till Dak, who I think is the most accurate comparison right now, gets 28/season.

The idea of a cheap QB is a fantasy.

I think you are over stating where he is at, Alex Smith is as productive and more consistent player than Trubisky right now.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would not count on Trubisky being cheap at all. Just wait till Dak, who I think is the most accurate comparison right now, gets 28/season.

The idea of a cheap QB is a fantasy.

I think you are over stating where he is at, Alex Smith is as productive and more consistent player than Trubisky right now.

Cheaper not cheap  ... starter quality qbs not ever going to be cheap 

Dak's not an awful comp but can't see even the crapboys overpaying like that  ! 

Pace and MT >>>>