E3 2019 discussion

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Man It's crazy how much I don't care about Gears 5 considering how good Gears 1 was. Like I would rate gears 1 as the second best console shooter ever, above Halo 3, COD4, all the rest of them but all of the sequels/prequels so far have been so lackluster imo.

Gears 3 is probably my favorite of the series. 

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

What are worthwhile games?  Give me some examples.

God of War, and Breath of the wild are worth the cost of their consoles alone. Xbox has nothing like that anymore. They only sold consoles because Xbox Live is better than whatever the other consoles offer so it's the defacto console for console multiplayer games.

Halo 5 is trash and Gears 4 was forgettable. What other exclusive IP's do they have? Forza?

Just now, TXsteeler said:

God of War, and Breath of the wild are worth the cost of their consoles alone. Xbox has nothing like that anymore. They only sold consoles because Xbox Live is better than whatever the other consoles offer so it's the defacto console for console multiplayer games.

Halo 5 is trash and Gears 4 was forgettable. What other exclusive IP's do they have? Forza?

To me, this makes zero sense.  Yes, PS4 and Nintendo both have better exclusives by far.  However, you quoted that under my statement about the Xbox Elite controller.  The Xbox Elite controller is literally made for MULTIPLAYER games.  Why in the hell would someone need damn near any features of that controller for a story or single-player based game?

And yes, you're right.... Xbox Live is better than PSN or Nintendo Online.  It always has been and always will be.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

To me, this makes zero sense.  Yes, PS4 and Nintendo both have better exclusives by far.  However, you quoted that under my statement about the Xbox Elite controller.  The Xbox Elite controller is literally made for MULTIPLAYER games.  Why in the hell would someone need damn near any features of that controller for a story or single-player based game?

And yes, you're right.... Xbox Live is better than PSN or Nintendo Online.  It always has been and always will be.

I just don't feel like it's worth it to pay for an xbox AND $180 for the controller to play crappy COD games anymore. If there were to be another COD4 to be launched, sure, but there has been nothing on that level for years just like xbox hasn't had an exclusive multiplayer game that was worth it for years.

See, this is one of the key things to me.  Most of Sony and Nintendo's exclusives are single player games.  For whatever reason, Microsoft cannot make a quality triple A single player exclusive, if they're lives depended on it.  It's actually the flip side for Sony when it comes to multiplayer exclusive games.  They've tried in the past with the Killzone franchise and other titles, but they have never came close to making an exclusive multiplayer titlecomes close to Gears or Halo.

So even at this point in the game, both companies offer different things.  The fact that Microsoft games are also on PC pretty much kills Xbox for me, though.  Having one is not necessary and the 'console war' is all but over.  The PS5 will be the console that is worth getting.  Microsoft seems more about software and everything else outside of making new games.

As far as Nintendo goes... They actually have a multiplayer game called Splatoon 2 and it lowkey might be the best console exclusive multiplayer game out right now.  The biggest issue with that game is.... the online connectivity sucks, which is obviously a massive deal when you're talking about a game that is pretty much multiplayer only.

• Like 2

I'll also say this.  It seems to have been a conscious effort by Microsoft to make quality multiplayer exclusives.  Regardless of what you think of Gears or Halo, they're both iconic titles.  However, this was the wrong move.  Sony approached this the correct way.... make quality single player exclusives because those are what's actually important.  There are so many quality third party multiplayer games - whether you're looking at all the different shooters, sports games, fighting games, etc. 

During the PS3 vs Xbox 360 time, Sony's online infrastructure was SO FAR BEHIND Microsoft's.  PSN was free and it was an absolute joke.  Fast forward to 2019 - PSN is night and day better and is really good.  So in a lot of ways, Sony has caught up in terms of this.  Most of the more popular mulitplayer shooters are third party - Fortnite, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc so those games are on both consoles.

There's almost no reason now to buy a Xbox over a Playstation and the sells numbers bare that out.  I'm expecting the same with the Playstation 5 vs new Xbox console, probably even more so.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

See, this is one of the key things to me.  Most of Sony and Nintendo's exclusives are single player games.  For whatever reason, Microsoft cannot make a quality triple A single player exclusive, if they're lives depended on it.  It's actually the flip side for Sony when it comes to multiplayer exclusive games.  They've tried in the past with the Killzone franchise and other titles, but they have never came close to making an exclusive multiplayer titlecomes close to Gears or Halo.

So even at this point in the game, both companies offer different things.  The fact that Microsoft games are also on PC pretty much kills Xbox for me, though.  Having one is not necessary and the 'console war' is all but over.  The PS5 will be the console that is worth getting.  Microsoft seems more about software and everything else outside of making new games.

As far as Nintendo goes... They actually have a multiplayer game called Splatoon 2 and it lowkey might be the best console exclusive multiplayer game out right now.  The biggest issue with that game is.... the online connectivity sucks, which is obviously a massive deal when you're talking about a game that is pretty much multiplayer only.

I guess my main problem is that I've been unimpressed with most of the shooters this decade. Even without accounting for Halo and Gears, the 360 had games like Rainbow Six Vegas and Modern warfare 1 and 2 that meant there was never a period of time where there wasn't a relatively fresh and very good shooter out on the 360 all the way from launch until maybe like 2012 when Reach got old.

I will admit that around that time I stopped playing games as much because I got into a serious relationship and moved across the country, so maybe some of the shooters launching then were also good (I know BO 1 and 2 are considered good although I kinda didn't like BO2), but since then I've just been really disappointed with every shooter that's come out. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Battlefront, Halo, and Gears etc., all of the traditional shooters have been nothing special to me since Halo 3 tbh. And all of the genre changers like Overwatch, Titanfall (although Titanfall 2 had an amazing campaign on par with any other shooter imo) Destiny, and the various BR's have failed to really pull me in like Halo 2 or Gears 1 did.

Although, It could just be that back in the day I played those games with friends for like 40-60 hours a week so it was more fun in that way.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'll also say this.  It seems to have been a conscious effort by Microsoft to make quality multiplayer exclusives.  Regardless of what you think of Gears or Halo, they're both iconic titles.  However, this was the wrong move.  Sony approached this the correct way.... make quality single player exclusives because those are what's actually important.  There are so many quality third party multiplayer games - whether you're looking at all the different shooters, sports games, fighting games, etc. 

During the PS3 vs Xbox 360 time, Sony's online infrastructure was SO FAR BEHIND Microsoft's.  PSN was free and it was an absolute joke.  Fast forward to 2019 - PSN is night and day better and is really good.  So in a lot of ways, Sony has caught up in terms of this.  Most of the more popular mulitplayer shooters are third party - Fortnite, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc so those games are on both consoles.

There's almost no reason now to buy a Xbox over a Playstation and the sells numbers bare that out.  I'm expecting the same with the Playstation 5 vs new Xbox console, probably even more so.

The only way the xbox scarlet isn't a failure imo is if they release a new IP that reaches legendary status or if Halo Infinite is somehow groundbreaking in new ways like the new God of War was. Gears 5 will be nothing that Gears 4 or Halo 5 isn't, and none of their other current IP's can do it.

Maybe If Halo is an open world shooter with a well written story and campaign (4 player co-op optional) and has over 40 hours worth of content to complete the main story and another 40 or so of side content. Then they would need an innovatively fun open world pvp system along with Classic Halo style arena matches and co-op dungeons/horde mode. It basically needs to be the best shooter of all time.

2 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

The only way the xbox scarlet isn't a failure imo is if they release a new IP that reaches legendary status or if Halo Infinite is somehow groundbreaking in new ways like the new God of War was. Gears 5 will be nothing that Gears 4 or Halo 5 isn't, and none of their other current IP's can do it.

Maybe If Halo is an open world shooter with a well written story and campaign (4 player co-op optional) and has over 40 hours worth of content to complete the main story and another 40 or so of side content. Then they would need an innovatively fun open world pvp system along with Classic Halo style arena matches and co-op dungeons/horde mode. It basically needs to be the best shooter of all time.

The thing about Halo is, that game franchise is so iconic.  It's kind of like Mario for Xbox owners.  Halo doesn't need to be ground breaking and they're smart for making it a launch title for the new Xbox, especially if the game runs at 120 FPS in 1080, 4K 60 fps, etc.  I mean, they could put all that single player stuff in Halo, but the majority of people who will buy the game mainly want multiplayer.  Game will have been in development for about 4 years from start to release date, so it better be good.

If this game isn't well received, then it's going to be really bad.  Gears is just Gears and most people are content with that since the game is in a good place game play wise.  Like, Gears of War 4 is really good game play, they just need to continue to improve minor things.  But Halo has been on the downswing.  Halo 5 was not very well received from what I can remember.

Just now, showtime said:

The thing about Halo is, that game franchise is so iconic.  It's kind of like Mario for Xbox owners.  Halo doesn't need to be ground breaking and they're smart for making it a launch title for the new Xbox, especially if the game runs at 120 FPS in 1080, 4K 60 fps, etc.  I mean, they could put all that single player stuff in Halo, but the majority of people who will buy the game mainly want multiplayer.  Game will have been in development for about 4 years from start to release date, so it better be good.

If this game isn't well received, then it's going to be really bad.  Gears is just Gears and most people are content with that since the game is in a good place game play wise.  Like, Gears of War 4 is really good game play, they just need to continue to improve minor things.  But Halo has been on the downswing.  Halo 5 was not very well received from what I can remember.

Halo is iconic but Halo 4 and Halo 5 would have been completely panned if you copy pasted them into any other IP. We likely wouldn't have even heard of them, they'd be worse off than Titanfall 1 and 2 were.