Depth Chart and Practice Squad

bucsfan333

If we do cut a DB, Wilcox seems like the odd man out, especially since he is a similar type of player to Ward.

Conte isn't amazing, but given the players we have, he seems like a more natural backup to Tandy than the other guys at the position.

Evans hasn't had a great preseason and has some developing to do. Signing Ward for a year gives him the chance to develop behind a high end player with a similar style. I'd expect Evans to be the third safety and would like to see him being a big contributor on special teams whilst also contributing more on defence as the season goes on.

I think Evans is our Gunner opposite Robinson in punt coverage. I don't think he'll play much defense right away.

I expect Conte and Tandy to start at the beginning of the season, with Ward eventually taking over for whoever doesn't play as well. And I think that's gonna be Conte. He'll probably be bumped down to our third safety.

The good thing about our roster right now is that we don't have to rush Evans out there if he isn't ready. We finally have the depth to not have to force rookies onto the field. I can't remember that being the case since Gruden's days of no draft picks and his love for veterans.

3 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

If we do cut a DB, Wilcox seems like the odd man out, especially since he is a similar type of player to Ward.

Conte isn't amazing, but given the players we have, he seems like a more natural backup to Tandy than the other guys at the position.

Evans hasn't had a great preseason and has some developing to do. Signing Ward for a year gives him the chance to develop behind a high end player with a similar style. I'd expect Evans to be the third safety and would like to see him being a big contributor on special teams whilst also contributing more on defence as the season goes on.

I remember during training camp certain defensive personnel packages had 3 safeties on the field at the same time.  They had Wilcox playing the slot in this grouping, which I felt was odd.  Evans fits that position better, Ward would play close to the LOS and Tandy center field.   Also, I go back to the Dallas and Saints game, they had a difficult time stopping the running game.  If Ward is in decline,  he still should be the best in box safety on the roster.  

Archived