Around the NFL 2019

lumberjackchris

Gary Kubiak is only 59. Can we bring him back?

just to recap since leaving us he’s 

- revitalized a Baltimore offense

- won a ring in Denver 

- helped revitalize a Vikings D

he has two rings as a offensive coordinator and 1 ring as a head coach. 

he one of the best coaches under 60 available in the league. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

- won a ring in Denver 

Quintessential peter principal guy.  Solid coordinator / advisor / can't handle all that comes with Head Coaching role.  Gary operates well when a step removed from the action and is far better in the offseason/ota's than the actual season.  Let's not forget that every time he has stepped into the HC role it has nearly killed him (on field minor strokes with us and Broncos).  Gary is a classic "overthinker" who tends to suffer from analysis paralysis when the man in charge both in decision making where his hyper conservatism defies all analytic proof and personnel decisions.  Let's not forget the obsurdity of his QB decision making his final year here or that he benched Peyton Manning in favor of "he who shall not be named" in Denver before coming to his senses to win his Super Bowl which was far more attributable to Phillips defense and Peyton who is his own OC.  I'm always amazed how Kubiak gets credit for that Super Bowl in taking over a team that was a few plays away from the Super Bowl already in two straight playoffs and somehow was blameless in that team tanking out of playoff contention just a year later.  So how exactly does he get no "credit" for being the personnel "genius" behind Paxton Lynch, Trevor Simeon, bringing in Keenum, their abysmal 2017 draft, etc.  Let's also not forget, that when Kubiak gets hiring power he's little more than a crony political payoff machine who brings you the Richard Smith's and Frank Bush's of the world to go with the ever present Rick Dennison and now, of course, his boys and their friends.  Kubiak runs a franchise like an auto dealership, period.   

This year he seems to be again be held up to be the genius behind the Vikings, as if a healthy Dalvin Cook has nothing to do with it or that this team was a play away from the Super Bowl with Case friggin Keenum two years ago before an injury driven aberration year last year.  Let's not forget that Kubiak comes from the Shanahan school of media manipulation and aggrandizement which is how you end up with the obligatory Kubiak references during every Vikings game despite Stefanski being the OC and playcaller (as a reminder - Stefanski is the one who got the Keenum led Vikings to be a top 10 offense).  I don't dispute that Kubiak isn't quite effective in installing the Alex Gibbs scheme, but for me that is really where the magic ends with him as you don't want him touching personnel, hiring coaches, or making gameday decisions.  He's in his wheelhouse as an "advisor", or at best coordinator, but nothing more.    HARD pass.

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

- won a ring in Denver 

pass, just get an OC from an effective system, someone like Pete Carmichael from the Saints, if you really want to replace BoB. I just want to remind people that BoB was touted as the next big thing, a possible genius on offense who was able to make Christian Hackenberg good and make Penn State stay competitive around coaching changing after that sexual abuse scandal, he was the new big name and he hasn't turned out to be anything other than someone who can rally bad players together and then when he gets good players, can't take them further than the wild-card round.

Would prefer someone who is tested by NFL defense, but it isnt time to fire BoB yet, its time to force him to use an OC and let him have a good GM who will make him do that.

Edited by Drained
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drained said:

pass, just get an OC from an effective system, someone like Pete Carmichael from the Saints, if you really want to replace BoB.

I echo all of the Kubiak stuff. As Apollo said, I could see him as an Advisor or something. That's about the extent of it.

As far as HC possibilities: Eric Bienemey out in KC is my choice. Andy Reid disciples tend to do somewhat well in the NFL (Doug Pederson won a SB with the Eagles, Matt Navy was doing well until Mitch Trubisky completely imploded). He's working with Pat Mahomes and we're all seeing how much he's able to get out of an elite QB.

I'd give Bienemey the gig, see if he'd consider a guy like Dan Quinn (well on his way out in Atlanta) as his DC. Quinn likes bigger CBs who can play hard press at the line, and Lonnie Johnson/Gaeron Conley with Vernon Hargreaves in the slot fit the mold we'd need.

• Like 1

Titans looking kind of scary. Probably because everyone underestimated Tannehill cause no one cares about Miami and then its like 'wow! this former wide receiver is athletic, and Ryan Tannehill can throw??'

I expect the aroma to eventually wear off and Titans fans know he isnt the guy but its fun to see this player who I've always thought was pretty good getting noticed cause he isnt on the Fins, lmao.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Drained said:

Titans looking kind of scary. Probably because everyone underestimated Tannehill cause no one cares about Miami and then its like 'wow! this former wide receiver is athletic, and Ryan Tannehill can throw??'

I expect the aroma to eventually wear off and Titans fans know he isnt the guy but its fun to see this player who I've always thought was pretty good getting noticed cause he isnt on the Fins, lmao.

The minute they traded for Tannehill, I started to worry. Tanny never got a fair shake in Miami, he was taking a pretty bad franchise to 7-9 seasons pretty consistently. His best WR in Miami was Jarvis Landry, and I don't think it's a stretch to think Tannehill himself was a better WR than Landry...

If Tannehill can just manage games - not even go out and throw a team to a W - the Titans were in position to win big. Derrick Henry is a battering ram at RB, Corey Davis and AJ Brown as two physical WRs, Delanie Walker and Jonnu Smith at TEs, and a top 10ish defense. The only hope is that the OL or Coaching find a way to lose games.

Sleep on Tennessee at your own risk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I want Mike McCarthy. 

But to the point about benching manning for Brock Oswiler....think about the fact that Kubiak made him look so good we bought him. 

I think buying him was less about Brock looking good (his numbers were almost identical to what Brian Hoyer did that season for us) and moreso about Rick Smith getting desperate for a QB...

20 hours ago, Drained said:

Tannehill was always a QB. He just played WR his freshman year because aTm had Jerrod Johnson at QB.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Our game got flexed next week to 3:25 start. Will know our seeding before kickoff, so if we need to rest anyone

I think either way, we should rest our guys. Watson is clearly injured and you're risking further injury by starting him.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 8:33 AM, ET80 said:

I think either way, we should rest our guys. Watson is clearly injured and you're risking further injury by starting him.

Titans get an easy walk-in to the playoffs with us resting... but then again, do I really care? Titan fans can't brag about beating us if Joe Webb or A.J McCarron is out there slinging balls instead of Deshaun and we have DeAndre Carter catching them. Lol.

6 hours ago, Drained said:

Titans get an easy walk-in to the playoffs with us resting... but then again, do I really care? Titan fans can't brag about beating us if Joe Webb or A.J McCarron is out there slinging balls instead of Deshaun and we have DeAndre Carter catching them. Lol.

It's still contingent on Pittsburgh losing, right?