Wisconsin Badgers Thread | at Rutgers (11 AM CST | BTN or Fox)

beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I don't know what we can truly take away from this game because Purdue is that bad lol

I think we can say that if Locke consistently gets a pocket the size of a small prairie he's just good enough to function.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The freshman 7 looks like the best RB on the roster to me. Vision, shiftiness, and make a few dudes miss in the backfield.

Dilin Jones is electric. Can't wait to see what he and Dupree can do as the 1-2 punch.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Dilin Jones is electric. Can't wait to see what he and Dupree can do as the 1-2 punch.

Yeah, Walker is alright, but those 2 give me a lot more confidence moving forward. Dupree looks comfortable catching the ball and runs hard, like the look of that dude too but Jones has that special level of vision that I don't think anybody can teach.

I don't think we want to throw them to the wolves and the elephant in the room is can they pass block enough given our QB needs passing lanes the size of a small pickup truck to be any good, but next year that's gonna be a problem for defenses if we can get TVD back and we improve the OL play.

Fickell is going to be judged based on how our OL, DL, and QB play progress moving forward IMO. The rest of the pieces look solid. I can't remember a more talented crop of skill position players. Not just the RBs, but Xavier Lucas too my god is having a real corner a nice change of pace. We're a long ways away from the days of Sojorn Shelton.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah, Walker is alright, but those 2 give me a lot more confidence moving forward. Dupree looks comfortable catching the ball and runs hard, like the look of that dude too but Jones has that special level of vision that I don't think anybody can teach.

I don't think we want to throw them to the wolves and the elephant in the room is can they pass block enough given our QB needs passing lanes the size of a small pickup truck to be any good, but next year that's gonna be a problem for defenses if we can get TVD back and we improve the OL play.

Fickell is going to be judged based on how our OL, DL, and QB play progress moving forward IMO. The rest of the pieces look solid. I can't remember a more talented crop of skill position players. Not just the RBs, but Xavier Lucas too my god is having a real corner a nice change of pace. We're a long ways away from the days of Sojorn Shelton.

Yeah, the talent is there. There's just a little bit more to build and getting the right fit/playcaller on either side matters a ton too. We won't survive with the lack of pass rush that we've had under Tressel but Longo's at least showing some progress lately. It's been frustrating but you can see the foundation of a good to great team.

• Like 1

Yeah, the talent is there. There's just a little bit more to build and getting the right fit/playcaller on either side matters a ton too. We won't survive with the lack of pass rush that we've had under Tressel but Longo's at least showing some progress lately. It's been frustrating but you can see the foundation of a good to great team.

This team is competitive with USC and wins 8-9 games with Mordecai as the QB IMO. I know Locke is Longo's guy, so I don't think he can get a complete mulligan for him, but I also think you can see the growing pains on both sides as they have to adjust to each other. Putting in a package for TVD all year and then having to adjust is not a good situation.

And on DL, we simply have to stop whiffing on every kid we bring in. Especially on the interior. I don't know how anyone is supposed to be a good DC when we don't have a single guy who jumps out as a solid pass rusher.

But I'm right there with you. Been on the fence about Fickell for a while and it's gonna be ugly for a little bit more, but signs of life are there. Let him build this thing up and see where we are end of 2025.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This team is competitive with USC and wins 8-9 games with Mordecai as the QB IMO. I know Locke is Longo's guy, so I don't think he can get a complete mulligan for him, but I also think you can see the growing pains on both sides as they have to adjust to each other. Putting in a package for TVD all year and then having to adjust is not a good situation.

And on DL, we simply have to stop whiffing on every kid we bring in. Especially on the interior. I don't know how anyone is supposed to be a good DC when we don't have a single guy who jumps out as a solid pass rusher.

But I'm right there with you. Been on the fence about Fickell for a while and it's gonna be ugly for a little bit more, but signs of life are there. Let him build this thing up and see where we are end of 2025.

I think Fickell gets 4 years, at least. As I've said several times, that 2025 schedule is no friggin' joke. As long as we look competent and don't roll over and die vs that schedule, he'll get 2026, where the schedule drops off significantly.

• Like 1

I think Fickell gets 4 years, at least. As I've said several times, that 2025 schedule is no friggin' joke. As long as we look competent and don't roll over and die vs that schedule, he'll get 2026, where the schedule drops off significantly.

Yep. not looking for 10 wins next year., but I want to see visibly cleaner football on offense and more physicality on both lines without dropping off in the skill spots.

• Like 1

And you'd hope that the DL grows with the youth. We're relying on portal guys on the DL right now to get through but with Jamel Howard, Ernest Willor, Dillan Johnson, Torrin Pettaway, Xavier Ukponu, Wilnerson Telemaque and to a lesser extent Hank Weber, there should be some talent that stands out.

EDIT - Forgot about Curt Neal too

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to Wisconsin Badgers Thread | at Rutgers (11 AM CST | BTN or Fox)