Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) at Steelers (1-0)

swede700

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings’ 11 penalties for 131 yards against the Steelers were the second-most in both categories in Zimmer’s four seasons as coach.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/20/vikings-rb-dalvin-cook-ready-to-show-bucs-what-theyre-missing/

At least 3 (Robison offsides and Waynes' 2 PI's) directly led to points IIRC? I know there were a few holding calls that also killed drives. Gotta get that cleaned up. 

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

At least 3 (Robison offsides and Waynes' 2 PI's) directly led to points IIRC? I know there were a few holding calls that also killed drives. Gotta get that cleaned up. 

I don't think you can clean up Waynes's issues. He doesn't trust himself in coverage down the field and relies on grabbing and holding. Maybe he needs to wear gloves in practice like Rhodes? I don't know what the fix is but I'm not sure his issue is mental as in jumping offsides or false starts. He has a fundamental issue that might only be resolved if he's on the bench.

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

It seemed to work with Rhodes, we can only hope he figures it out. 

My concern is that Waynes has spent three years with Zimmer already. Zimmer was able to correct Rhodes early on, have we seen any progress with Waynes? I know Zimmer likes to sit young CBs but I've always felt that CBs need to play early on. So much of a CBs game is confidence, probably more so than any position minus QB. None of this can happen on the bench. Maybe Zimmer knows best but has it helped Kirkpatrick and Dennard in Cincinnati? Obviously they have different coaches than Zimmer but those two players had similar backgrounds to Waynes coming out and now play in a similar scheme while sitting early on.

im fine playing Waynes for now, the season is still young, but if he continues to have games like the last two, you've got to switch to Brock or Alexander. I'm not looking forward to Waynes on Jackson this week. I'm sure we're in for another deep ball and PI in Waynes's direction.

39 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

im fine playing Waynes for now, the season is still young, but if he continues to have games like the last two, you've got to switch to Brock or Alexander. I'm not looking forward to Waynes on Jackson this week. I'm sure we're in for another deep ball and PI in Waynes's direction.

All fair concerns that I share. I especially agree with the quoted text above, however, perhaps him taking his lumps is exactly what he needs. 

Archived