End of Season Mock 2020

Madmike90

33 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I've always advocated the same thing--draft a guy with one of the second round picks, or move up into the bottom half of the first to get somebody they feel strongly about. Hope the worst scenario in that move is that you end up with a cheaper, better backup than Daniel. You and I even discussed this a couple of days ago. 

I said that Ballard was going to trade up for Herbert, that doesn't mean I want Pace to. That's a pretty big leap there, dude. The 'big boy" element you're referring to means Ballard sees a hole on his roster, and he's going to try to fix it. We have a GM that looks like he's going to cower in a corner and hope nobody realizes he made a big mistake that ended up putting in motion a plan that may end up being mistake riddled itself, because of that original miscalculation. That's exactly the opposite of a "big boy" GM.

I fail to see why you'd be against trading up this year (in the Herbert scenario you laid out) because Pace "did that 3 drafts ago", but yet you're advocating trading up at an even higher price, next year. But that's neither here nor there, I suppose. I just find that confusing.

Look, you and I see the whole overall scenario differently. You're happy to blow this team up, hope they're as bad as possible, and go get Lawrence. And that's a reasonable position to have--I simply don't share it. I think action should be taken right away, but I'm beginning to doubt that it will. 

I don't see why benching a player that isn't playing well is some kind of football blasphemy to you. That also seems weird to me. I don't remember saying he should be traded, though. Find that for me?

As I said, I was clearly spitballing. I wasn't convinced he'd get a first round pick, I was floating possibilities. You're also continuing to ignore my underlying argument behind floating those possibilities, though. 

You're right. There would have to be a serious renegotiation of that number. Which, of course, would require Floyd and his agent accept that he simply isn't a pass rusher. Who knows if that will happen. It'd be in their best interest if it did.

Even in the scenario I laid out? I suppose it doesn't help matters that two of the sorts of teams I described are in the same division. Pace will never know what he'll get unless he tries. I'm afraid he won't. 

I wouldn't say that Mack wasn't playing well. Mack just didn't have an all pro season and they would have been worse on defense if they did. Lets play Irving then. So then the Broncos should have benched Miller after 8 sacks this season?

They Bears would still have to trade a lot to get a QB in either 2020 or 2021. I would do it for Lawrence but not Herbert.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I've always advocated the same thing--draft a guy with one of the second round picks, or move up into the bottom half of the first to get somebody they feel strongly about. Hope the worst scenario in that move is that you end up with a cheaper, better backup than Daniel. You and I even discussed this a couple of days ago. 

I said that Ballard was going to trade up for Herbert, that doesn't mean I want Pace to. That's a pretty big leap there, dude. The 'big boy" element you're referring to means Ballard sees a hole on his roster, and he's going to try to fix it. We have a GM that looks like he's going to cower in a corner and hope nobody realizes he made a big mistake that ended up putting in motion a plan that may end up being mistake riddled itself, because of that original miscalculation. That's exactly the opposite of a "big boy" GM.

I fail to see why you'd be against trading up this year (in the Herbert scenario you laid out) because Pace "did that 3 drafts ago", but yet you're advocating trading up at an even higher price, next year. But that's neither here nor there, I suppose. I just find that confusing.

Look, you and I see the whole overall scenario differently. You're happy to blow this team up, hope they're as bad as possible, and go get Lawrence. And that's a reasonable position to have--I simply don't share it. I think action should be taken right away, but I'm beginning to doubt that it will. 

I don't see why benching a player that isn't playing well is some kind of football blasphemy to you. That also seems weird to me. I don't remember saying he should be traded, though. Find that for me?

As I said, I was clearly spitballing. I wasn't convinced he'd get a first round pick, I was floating possibilities. You're also continuing to ignore my underlying argument behind floating those possibilities, though. 

You're right. There would have to be a serious renegotiation of that number. Which, of course, would require Floyd and his agent accept that he simply isn't a pass rusher. Who knows if that will happen. It'd be in their best interest if it did.

Even in the scenario I laid out? I suppose it doesn't help matters that two of the sorts of teams I described are in the same division. Pace will never know what he'll get unless he tries. I'm afraid he won't. 

You know, you're a good poster and we don't see eye to eye. That's ok. Only 2 things I'll add is 1) going from 15 to 1 to get Lawrence is much easier than 43 to 3. The draft value chart doesn't show it but I figure they'd have to deal those two 2's plus at least three 1's. That's why I wouldn't want Pace to do that now (plus I don't think Herbert is some can't miss guy and that would set the next regime up horribly with little to no picks) and 2) at no point did you imply you were spitballing the Floyd-for-a-first idea. You seemed sure that's what they can get and even said "why wouldn't they trade him? they could get a very high pick."

Again I'm done with this. Bear down!

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TB 1 said:

They Bears would still have to trade a lot to get a QB in either 2020 or 2021. I would do it for Lawrence but not Herbert.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

going from 15 to 1 to get Lawrence is much easier than 43 to 3. The draft value chart doesn't show it but I figure they'd have to deal those two 2's plus at least three 1's. That's why I wouldn't want Pace to do that now (plus I don't think Herbert is some can't miss guy and that would set the next regime up horribly with little to no picks).

A huge trade for a QB, either this off-season or next, kind of scares the hell out of me, although it's obviously true that having a first round pick eases that pain a great deal. I think it will be all but impossible to get Lawrence, though. 

My dream scenario for that position? Move away from Trubisky entirely. Trade him, show him the door, whatever. I had some hope for him during his stretch of good play, but then he stunk it up to end the season. So...what then? Sign a veteran who can start. Draft Love or Eason or Fromm or Hurts--whoever they feel grades out best. I have more hope that any of those four can be a better starter than Trubisky. Draft another guy, like Gordon(?) from Washington State later on. See what happens.

Other thoughts/hopes:

--Williams from Washington is available for cheap, or Rieff from Minnesota is available for free. Both of those possibilities have a great chance of happening.

--Make sure to unload Long and Floyd to help with cap space.

--Unless there is a quality tackle available with the other second round pick (and that pick still exists), use it on the best center left. Have Daniels and Whitehair as your guards.