Tight End ???

Gibster16226

Depends what you're looking for. Hopkins isn't a great inline blocker.
I kind of group them into a few camps:

Traditional - can catch - can inline block.
Cole Kmet - he's an ok blocker, so almost fits in group two
Adam Trautman
J.Pinkney
Colby Parkinson (might be the best blocker)
Sean McKeon

Big wide - has the size of traditional, but still more of a receiver
H.Bryant (FAU)
B.Hopkins
A.Okwuegbunam
M.WIlcox
J.Breeland
S.Sullivan

H-Back vibe - really more WR/TE
H.Bryant (UW)
T.Moss 
J.Deguara
C.O'Grady

Edited by mwalker

36 minutes ago, mwalker said:

Depends what you're looking for. Hopkins isn't a great inline blocker.
I kind of group them into a few camps:

Traditional - can catch - can inline block.
Cole Kmet - he's an ok blocker, so almost fits in group two
Adam Trautman
J.Pinkney
Colby Parkinson (might be the best blocker)
Sean McKeon

Big wide - has the size of traditional, but still more of a receiver
H.Bryant (FAU)
B.Hopkins
A.Okwuegbunam
M.WIlcox
J.Breeland
S.Sullivan

H-Back vibe - really more WR/TE
H.Bryant (UW)
T.Moss 
J.Deguara
C.O'Grady

Agree with your "Traditional" list and most of your "Big Wide"" list but disagree with T. Moss. He is a very good Inline blocker and maybe the best blocker of the bunch. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Assuming Dupree is re-signed, I think Kmet ends up being the #49 pick and that's Ok with me.  I'd be tempted to wait a couple rounds and take Parkinson but there's no guarantee he'd be there and you're getting a solid player in Kmet. 

Yea, it's interesting. I think you could argue a double dip, with two contrasting types, would be a worthy investment.
I like Parkinson. He's like a more talented, better blocking J.James. Could be really tempting to do a Kmet in the 2nd,
Parkinson in the 4th. Or a H.Bryant (UW) and a Pinkney. We might have too many holes to do it, but worth the chat anyway.

And above on Moss, fair point.

This problem can be solved through a variety of ways. One of the ways is the 6 OL tactic. The idea of 3 WRs, 1RB, 6 OL excites me. You will literally bulldoze undersized players in the run game. And if you get dynamic KC Chiefs type WRs that put pressure on DBs quickly, the pass game will thrive as well. 

I understand the talent is weak but to truly capitalize on a tight end in the modern game you need a creative playcaller. We don't have a creative playcaller. We have someone who cedes power to Ben so Ben is happy. When you have injuries. Then you're in trouble. Considering, Roethlisberger hasn't won in ten years. Or really within grasp. This is not a prudent strategy. I saw this graphic the other day and it was 3 in 6 years (Super Bowls) for Ben in the Brady/Manning era. That was ten years ago. What makes you remotely think that he's now suddenly gonna throw his name in the LaMar/Mahomes hat and lead this team back to a Super Bowl coming off an elbow injury. In the history of the Steelers, it's like divine. Praise God. Bradshaw - elbow. Pass it on. Maddox - elbow. Pass it on. Ben - elbow. Pass it on. When I saw that graphic, I could only think of one thing. Your time is up. 

A better strategy considering where we are today is to be the most physical team in the NFL. They are Steelers after all. A tough, nasty, mean defense devoid of Bud Dupree. Complemented by an offense that goes ground and pound. And around. Speed. Trick plays. Creativity. This accomplishes a few things. The formula leads to momentum. And it destroys the will of the opponent, as they see you dominating them every play as they slowly lose their will and slowly give up one by one. It has a profound effect. Because they see it every play. I could do better there, but I'm moving on. As the landscape changes in the NFL, this is considered innovation. Because everyone just went small and fast. So, your competitive advantage is big and tough. You overpower the JV. Because you are bigger and stronger than them. You are just throwing around more weight. The best part is this is your team identity. AJ Dillon. AJ Dillon. AJ Dillon. So, you just have to go back to playing the way you have since 1933. My grandma was born in '33. Believe it was 9/3/33. So, you know she was a complete player. This strategy just works well together. I'm having a hard conceptualizing it. But it's just a force. It's momentum. And it can't be stopped. Not too mention a few other benefits. You can pay the QB less and have a better overall team. You can have Charlie Batch win in a pinch because the offense doesn't evolve around one. It evolves around all eleven. All of this is ironic because we have a solid nucleus on defense that should not be jeopardized, for quite frankly, anyone on offense. 

I'm rambling, so I'll just sort of summarize. You don't have a creative OC and you have never thrown to the tight end in the entire history of the franchise. The only time you did was bc you rightfully selected Heath Miller in the first round and needed to make him part of the offense, because you took him in the first. It helped that he wasn't Mark Bruener. So he could actually be used. These are reasons to downgrade the importance as you rank your needs in a hierarchy. That doesn't mean you don't address tight end. It means you don't use one on day one or two. 

McDonald is a cap casualty for me. I'm gonna let Vannett walk, because he's not worth whatever his figure is. He's a pulse. I ain't paying no $6m a year for a pulse. Let Jesse James part II go for money. Laugh. And then sign another Steven Nelson type guy and wash 'em. The transaction dollar amounts. I'd like to start earning compensation picks like the Baltimore Ravens who have it down to a science. Because those 4th rd picks are an unbelievable spot to start plucking tight ends.