Sonic the hedgehog (2020)

Manny/Patrick

Sonic turned out to be a fun movie and my kids loved it.   Ben Schwartz was hilarious as Sonic (he's so good in the brilliant DuckTales TV show on Disney+).  Jim Carey channeled some of his 90's zany performances for Dr. Robotnik.  The Quicksilver/X-Men ripoff/homage scenes were funny and well done.  They used the rings in a better manner than the game or cartoons ever did.  

Of course there were tons of story problems for adults to pick apart put pretty remarkable that Paramount salvaged what looked to be a disaster of John Carter proportions.

Better than it had any right to be really.  My kids loved it and it was solid enough for me not lose interest and even laugh a decent amount.  I'd call it a solid B to B+. 

I do have to mention that whoever the music director was, A+ job with that.  Nothing too obvious but still a great set of songs that tied in well to the movie.

This is the best comedic work I've seen from Jim Carrey since Bruce Almighty.  He took what is really a ludicrous character, and made it entertaining as hell and even quasi believable.  Bravo.

James Marsden is apparently the go to guy for working with CGI characters, but he usually delivers, which he does solidly enough here.

I appreciate that they didn't stuff in every reference to the games possible here, and actually left quite a bit of material for sequels.