Week 3 GDT vs Da BEARS.

JDLefebvre

On 2017-09-24 at 9:21 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Please dont misquote me.  I  said that about the defense, not the offense.

At what point do you stop blaming coaching for Ben missing throws he should easily make?   He has been in the league 12 years and is getting paid $20m a year.    He isnt playing like it.  Coaches shouldnt have to baby a franchise QB to get him to play well.   Tomlin and Haley cant make the throws for Ben, and while Haley blows goats, I see way too many people blaming him at times when they should be blaming Ben.....and then, in fairness to Ben, people blame him when they should be blaming the WRs.     In the end, Ben hasnt looked good, and you cant blame coaching for that.  He isnt a rookie that is still learning the offense.

Bell's struggles are partly because the OLine isnt playing well, but he seems like he is playing softer, or at least....safer.   

The OLine....I mean, we paid these guys big money, and they just arent playing well.   To a point, I suppose you could say its coaching....but they dont look terrible....they just looked overmatched at times.     Villanueva is solid but has his issues, Ramon Foster is average at best....Pouncey and DeCastro IMO are good, but not great.....and Marcus Gilbert, oddly enough, is probably our best OLineman.      Still, as a whole, this is a group that should be top 5, and is playing average at best.

Bryant is the best deep threat....okay....but what else does he do?   And when has he ever proven consistently reliable?

We could go in circles debating this because there is no real way to pinpoint what is a coaching issue and whats a talent issue.     Im not dismissing the coaching issues at all, but too many of you want to take the easy route and just point the finger at Tomlin and Haley and act like its all their fault.   Do they shoulder some blame?  Abso-freaking-lutely......but it gets annoying when almost every time Ben misses a pass or the OLine misses a block, people want to immediately point the finger at Haley and/or Tomlin as opposed to just blaming them for not playing well enough.    Coaches will always take heat for any shortcomings of a team and I get that....but its time to start holding the supposedly top tier players accountable.  

agree about Ben as well as the OL - underachievers thus far in 2017.  Consider the cap $ invested in the OL RB and QB and the production and it is p[ossibly the most underachieving in the league or I would think so .  The problem is losing too many games and either missing playoffs of not getting home field etc.  We are used to this, just another season that has issues, but this time it isn't injuries and injuries and then injuries and then coaching.  I will say coaching ends to wake these people and get them to play to their ability. 

On D, Chickillo is the bright spot and will keep getting better. I expect him and Watt to be the starters and Dupree and Harrison the back ups - not bad for oLB depth chart. I can see Chickillo with 10+ sacks if he plays about 13 games.  They better let Watt get healthy.

What's irritating about this year is that the stars are healthy and are playing poorly . AB is never a concern though , and others could learn from him, what else can be said about such dedication and skill.  

Foster is starting as long as he is healthy since he is the leader. Skills and ability though, Finney should start, but that is how the team has it. 

Archived