Post Combine Anti-Virus Mock

Steeler Hitman

all_the_coronavirus_protection_you_can_g

All jokes aside, stay healthy and keep safe my friends. The pandemic is real. :D

Round Two Pick: Lloyd Cushenberry LSU Center - - I went with BPA on my board. In this scenario, it came down to three players: Cushenberry, Jalon Johnson, and Karl Dugger. I have Cushenberry rated higher. I was very tempted to take Dugger because of need. Signing Ebron, Wiz, and Wormley take the pressure off to pick because of pure need. I like him and he is not rushed to service. I see him as Pouncey's eventual replacement. Strong draft for Centers.

tigers-offensive-lineman-lloyd-cushenber

3rd Round Supplemental Pick:  Jeremy Chinn S Southern Illinois - - I would have taken RaeKwon Davis, who is also highly rated on my board right here, but we have Wormley, Buggs, and Walton who all play the same positions and are the same size and body types. Chinn is big, strong, fast and has upside. He is similar to Edmonds. The Steelers like three good Safety's and this allows for more versatility with Minkah as well.  We have depth and insurance. 

Chinn-SACK-DSC_8377-860x484.jpg

4A - - Joshua Kelly RB UCLA - - Stuck to my board and he was my BPA here.  He will battle Samuels and White for a spot.  I wanted NG Leiko Futu from Utah, but he was taken in my scenario.

usa_today_11687034.0.jpg

4B - - Vann Jefferson WR Florida - - I like Cain, but Jefferson was good value here. 

1191149977.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

6th Round - - Michael Turk P Arizona State  - - Hoping to improve the punting and add a strong athletic punter. They grab him in the 6th, but don't do a Daniel Sepulveda (trade up). 

46f4595a-d810-47f8-b78a-8f9b86a79538-RS_

7th Round - - Bravvion Roy NG Baylor. No more Mt McCullers. A player who can get stronger and develop into a run stuffer.

usatsi_13478397.jpg?w=1000&h=744

I took a future C. I added depth and a possible in the box type Safety/Nickel LB. I got some competition at WR and RB. I got a youthful punter with upside and a run-stuffing NG. All in all, I am happy. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

all_the_coronavirus_protection_you_can_g

All jokes aside, stay healthy and keep safe my friends. The pandemic is real. :D

Round Two Pick: Lloyd Cushenberry LSU Center - - I went with BPA on my board. In this scenario, it came down to three players: Cushenberry, Jalon Johnson, and Karl Dugger. I have Cushenberry rated higher. I was very tempted to take Dugger because of need. Signing Ebron, Wiz, and Wormley take the pressure off to pick because of pure need. I like him and he is not rushed to service. I see him as Pouncey's eventual replacement. Strong draft for Centers.

tigers-offensive-lineman-lloyd-cushenber

3rd Round Supplemental Pick:  Jeremy Chinn S Southern Illinois - - I would have taken RaeKwon Davis, who is also highly rated on my board right here, but we have Wormley, Buggs, and Walton who all play the same positions and are the same size and body types. Chinn is big, strong, fast and has upside. He is similar to Edmonds. The Steelers like three good Safety's and this allows for more versatility with Minkah as well.  We have depth and insurance. 

Chinn-SACK-DSC_8377-860x484.jpg

4A - - Joshua Kelly RB UCLA - - Stuck to my board and he was my BPA here.  He will battle Samuels and White for a spot.  I wanted NG Leiko Futu from Utah, but he was taken in my scenario.

usa_today_11687034.0.jpg

4B - - Vann Jefferson WR Florida - - I like Cain, but Jefferson was good value here. 

1191149977.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

6th Round - - Michael Turk P Arizona State  - - Hoping to improve the punting and add a strong athletic punter. They grab him in the 6th, but don't do a Daniel Sepulveda (trade up). 

46f4595a-d810-47f8-b78a-8f9b86a79538-RS_

7th Round - - Bravvion Roy NG Baylor. No more Mt McCullers. A player who can get stronger and develop into a run stuffer.

usatsi_13478397.jpg?w=1000&h=744

I took a future C. I added depth and a possible in the box type Safety/Nickel LB. I got some competition at WR and RB. I got a youthful punter with upside and a run-stuffing NG. All in all, I am happy. Thoughts?

Great mock, like the value here.  You stayed to your board and you made picks that made sense.  It's funny, I am working on mine and there are some things that are the same, value wise.

The biggest issue that I have is that safety is not really addressed.  I know Chinn is technically a S, but he is more of a Will backer.  I see our lack of true safety depth as a clear issue that we have to resolve.  I would love to grab a FS type (spoiler) but the chances are really low.

Pick by pick:

If Cush falls to #49, he has to be the pick.  I agree with this one.  He is the future of the position, and is an underclassman, P5 player.

Chinn does not really fit our defense, IMO.  If we take him, we would be converting him to a S role, and that is going to take time.

Kelly is OK to me.  I don't see how he is different than what we have, just more consistent.  But, he is a Steeler type back.

Nice on the JEfferson pick.  He is a productive WR, even though I hate UF.  He would give us depth and flexibility.

LOVE the TURK pick.  Wish I had the balls to do that.  (another spoiler)

Love the ROY pick.  I have seen him as early as 6, but he would be good here.  I see Benito Jones a lot to us, and Roy is physically the same, yet different.

I would love to see who you had as UDFA.  I see us still having issues at ILB, Edge and FS even after this draft.

• Like 1

👔
1 hour ago, kurgan said:

If Cush falls to #49, he has to be the pick.  I agree with this one.  He is the future of the position, and is an underclassman, P5 player.

My guy is still Wisconsin's Tyler Baidasz.  I think he will be an excellent pro and would be a gem on our OL as well.

Chinn does not really fit our defense, IMO.  If we take him, we would be converting him to a S role, and that is going to take time.

In my scenario, both Dugger and Winfield were gone.  I think that Chinn would fit as a potential Nickel ILB/Safety. The Steelers love athletes, so I could see this. Remember we took Edmonds in the first round and passed on Jessie Bates and others.  Truthfully, I would have preferred them to take Mason in round one. It would have been a few rounds too early as well, but I had a higher draft value on him than Edmunds (late 3rd early 4th).  

Kelly is OK to me.  I don't see how he is different than what we have, just more consistent.  But, he is a Steeler type back.

Strictly value based pick.  He is not the big banger or the speed back and does to your point fit in with the other type of backs that the Steelers have in terms of speed/style. 

Nice on the Jefferson pick.  He is a productive WR, even though I hate UF.  He would give us depth and flexibility.

He has a little height and seems like he can develop into a decent WR.  I have high hopes for Cain emerging as a #4 who can stretch the field. 

LOVE the TURK pick.  Wish I had the balls to do that.  (another spoiler)

I have taken a punter in my last mock or two. I like the kid from Syracuse, but took Turk on his athletic upside and I think he will get even better as he gets some more NFL strength and conditioning. He had a great Combine benching, but that does nothing to prove you can punt. He has a good pedigree, so I took a flyier on Turk this mock. 

Love the ROY pick.  I have seen him as early as 6, but he would be good here.  I see Benito Jones a lot to us, and Roy is physically the same, yet different.

I want a NG and I am hopeful they can upgrade from big Dan. I am not as confident as some that Dan will improve or be any more than what he has thus far. I think he has hit his ceiling and unfortunately it is not as high as his 6'7" height. 

I would love to see who you had as UDFA.  I see us still having issues at ILB, Edge and FS even after this draft.

I am honestly not as good at going after free agents because I don't get to study this as much as I have in the past.  I would watch hours of film and record college games to review and scout, but I have not been able to enjoy that as much as I have in the past.  In hindsight, I wish I would have thought to do that as a career. Then I would never be at work.   If I got paid to watch football and scout...:x

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

If I am drafting a punter it is Braden Mann, Texas A&M.

https://12thman.com/sports/football/roster/braden-mann/7250

I have heard some good things about him. He is climbing on many boards and is now #1 or #2 on many boards.  I think if the Steelers took Mann, Turk or Hofrichter they would improve our punting year one.  Jordan Berry has gotten better, but is inconsistent and typically at key times.  We need a big punt and he shanks one or we need to pin a team inside the 10-yard line and he booms it 50 yards into the endzone.

I to have a man crush on Biaadsz.  He even sounds like a Steeler pick.

I've seen it all over the place.  Some places have Dugger/Chinn higher than Winfield/Davis... other places have them switched.  The last one at TDN had Dugger and Chinn gone before us, and Winfield after us (we took a D**N edge).  If we see someone we like, we might have to make a move,TBH.  Or be OK with Davis.  To your point, we have to take a true centerfield Safety at some point.  I don't believe you can have multiple box/SS around.  Someone has to play in the back, and I like Minkah as a chess piece.

The bottom half looks different than mine.  But, same ideas, at least (and at least one same guy).

I should have been a scout as well.  I'm a coach (in high school) so I have some time now (especailly now) to do football stuff.  The difference is that now, a lot of ppl have done the legwork for you (sities, Youtube, SteelersDepot) whereas 20 years ago, I was pulling film from buddies, etc.

I agree about Berry.  It is time to get him some REAL compeition.  Someone that can really take his job.

• Like 1