Home vs Road splits for Big Ben

tonyto36

9 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Billick ill give you but Dungy and Gruden? no. Dungy went to the playoffs 10 straight years across 2 teams, won 1 Super Bowl, built the Tampa team that won the Super Bowl 1 year after his departure, and is in the HOF. He was an amazing coach. Teams would like up for his services if he said he wanted to coach again.

And Chucky has a great track record too and is an outstanding offensive coach and playcaller in particular. Again if he wanted to coach again, teams would like up for his services...

You may be correct about Dungy and Gruden, though I think it is pretty damning that Gruden won the SB with pretty much the same cast Dungy had before he departed. And winning just one SB with Peyton and getting owned by BB year after year in the playoffs may have jaded my view of him.

As for Gruden, yeah for a couple of years he could be outstanding, but his constant grinding just wore thin very quickly.

Of course, the whole lot them are so far below BB that it is hard to take them seriously as great coaches by comparison.

13 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Actually, Ben has typically sat out more often than most QBs IMO.   Brady among other QBs have played through a shoulder dislocation, broken hands, high ankle sprains, MCL sprains.  Regardless, all of that is accounted for in splits and that's why we have a three year sample size.  If you go back another 3 years the trend stays the same until mysteriously he tends to be better at away than home and it's almost like something significant changed to make him so much better at home.

If your argument is "well sometimes they lose on the road because Ben plays worse, and that explains why he would naturally have a worse stat line on the road", then I think you need to reevaluate.  

No QB of this era compares with Big Ben in terms of the punishment he's received. Other QBs not only took less sacks, but released the ball more quickly. Tom Brady never sustained a broken nose during a game with blood on his jersey, and still beat a contender on the road. As I said, the inconsistent Steelers defense on the road has been a factor, along with the aging process. Ben won't be in the NFL at age 40, due to the beating he's taken over the years.     

12 hours ago, titans0021 said:

You know, this thread has potential to generate actual discussion. The subject itself is pretty interesting. Yet we've fallen into insults and completely away from talking about Ben in virtually any meaningful way.

Get on topic and be civil. We don't need garbage posts dragging this thread into a total mess.

@tonyto36 and @TheOnlyThing if all you're going to do is try to troll Steelers fans, I'm going to have no choice but to lock this up and hand out warnings.

So it's now trolling to make serious arguments that some people dislike?

Don't lump me in with the others just because it's the same thread.

Archived