Jump to content
DoleINGout

Pat Chung Signs Extension

Recommended Posts

Must be more of a linebacker than a safety. Or a special teamer than a starter. He can barely cover fringe slot starters and tight ends anymore. Hope he actually is healthy for must pf this contract too. Smh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The move saves the team money, hard to argue against it considering he probably wont play out its entirety. Also, this defense needs 3 safeties. Harmon and Chung had about 650 snaps a piece and Devin had 950 or so. Some of that was subbing each other but a lot was three safety looks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

The move saves the team money, hard to argue against it considering he probably wont play out its entirety.

Good point about saving money. But Adrian Phillips is going to play a lot if he stays healthy... and Dugger is supposed to be the next Rodney Harrison so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Good point about saving money. But Adrian Phillips is going to play a lot if he stays healthy... and Dugger is supposed to be the next Rodney Harrison so...

Dugger is going to have a ish of a time acclimating to the NFL, especially given the likely super abridge offseason programs. Phillips is likely the 3rd safety for awhile unless Dugger blows up. 

 

The thing that confuses me is how people can watch the Patriots for the last 8 years and not realize this is a defense that needs 3 starting caliber safeties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The thing that confuses me is how people can watch the Patriots for the last 8 years and not realize this is a defense that needs 3 starting caliber safeties. 

Regardless of how or why, it is more the general choices at safety that I think fans bemoan from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Chung isn't all-world, and he sure isn't what he was physically compared to when he was younger. But he's smart, savvy, a sure tackler and he isn't overpaid. He's a great 3rd (or 2nd) Safety. I don't see the need for any for complaints here..

Edited by Nex_Gen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Chung isn't all-world, and he sure isn't what he was physically compared to when he was younger. But he's smart, savvy, a sure tackler and he isn't overpaid. He's a great 3rd (or 2nd) Safety. I don't see the need for any for complaints here..

One concern. His body has taken a beating. Will he have any gas left in the tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was done to free up money to sign his replacement...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why sign McCourty, Phillips, and draft a division two project at best with your first pick all for 2021 if you bringing back crippled, already-slow, and useless in coverage Pat Chung. Rhetorical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Why sign McCourty, Phillips, and draft a division two project at best with your first pick all for 2021 if you bringing back crippled, already-slow, and useless in coverage Pat Chung. Rhetorical.

because absolutely none of them are locks for 2021

McCourty has already talked about retirement. He almost didnt come back for 2020. 

Phillips is new and unproven in our system and in general (no matter how high on him you are)

Dugger is a boom or bust project who might not even be ready for bulk snaps next year

 

once again, this defense needs 3 starting caliber safeties. Right now, you have two guys who have proven they can do it who are declining. 2 guys with high upside that might be able to. That is a see what sticks situation if there ever was one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

McCourty has already talked about retirement. He almost didnt come back for 2020. 

Phillips is new and unproven in our system and in general (no matter how high on him you are)

Dugger is a boom or bust project who might not even be ready for bulk snaps next year

Chung cant do what McCourty does anyways, and he is not up to par with Phillips even though Chung has much more familiarity.

If Dugger can't play bulk snaps in 2021 as essentially a first round pick in 2020, with three starting safeties, that is pathetic.

What will stick is Phillips and that is probably it. McCourty should be back in 2021 if 2020 isn't a complete embarrassment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Chung cant do what McCourty does anyways, and he is not up to par with Phillips even though Chung has much more familiarity.

If Dugger can't play bulk snaps in 2021 as essentially a first round pick in 2020, with three starting safeties, that is pathetic.

What will stick is Phillips and that is probably it. McCourty should be back in 2021 if 2020 isn't a complete embarrassment.

none of that changes the fact that none of them are solid bets beyond this season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×