Who do the Bills keep between Milano and Dawkins?

Trentwannabe

If you can only keep one, who do you re-sign?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. If you can only keep one, who do you re-sign?

• LT Dion Dawkins
    • LB Matt Milano

With the Covid opt outs and 2020 draft picks now accounted for I thought it was a good time to take a peek ahead to 2021 and see how team’s salary cap situations may look next year. The chart provides two cap spaces- one in the event of a $175 million salary cap in 2021 and the second in the event of a $190 million cap in 2021. The cap space estimate is based on current cap figures on the books in 2021, signings of enough minimum salary players to reach 51 players, and carryover based on current cap space for 2020 minus a $5 million placeholder for in-season costs. Note that this is not the salary cap health we talked about before (that will be a post after cutdowns) which takes into account possible cuts/restructures just with the roster as is.

2021 Salary Cap Space Estimates

Team Estimated Cap Space
($175M Cap Limit)
Estimated Cap Space
($190M Cap Limit)
Colts $86,201,931 $101,201,931
Patriots $65,208,537 $80,208,537
Jaguars $59,128,585 $74,128,585
Jets $56,601,575 $71,601,575
Washington $49,559,205 $64,559,205
Bengals $35,605,952 $50,605,952
Chargers $34,136,482 $49,136,482
Broncos $33,236,645 $48,236,645
Browns $29,129,397 $44,129,397
Dolphins $26,153,421 $41,153,421
Ravens $25,609,647 $40,609,647
Bills $25,570,806 $40,570,806

Per Over the cap. This of course is not including any roll over or cuts coming in a few weeks and during the season. 

20 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Well today’s news at least answers half of the question.

Only other big name free agents next year beside Milano are:

WR Isiah McKenzie
OG Jon Feliciano

Could we finally see a year where the Bills just retain their own guys and not go out after other names?

I think they will still make some moves by releasing certain guys, I think Star may have saved his job for 1 year but Murphy, Lee Smith, and possibly Jerry Hughes will all be let go next year. You also have guys like Levi Wallace and Josh Norman who are FA. I think Norman may be the likelier one to resign as Levi will be seeking a decent deal from another organization if he continues to play well. 

I know it is early but I think the top 3 needs next year will be:
the RG/RT depending on what Ford stays with,
Pass Rusher (Addison is going to be 33/34, espenesa is still unknown, hughes is going to be at that age too where I do not see him making the team with that price tag as they can save 7+ mil by cutting him), 
#2 CB as mentioned both Norman and Levi will be FA

TE and LB will be other needs but not as important based on the talent they have signed through 2021. 

On 8/14/2020 at 2:18 PM, soflbillsfan said:

I think they will still make some moves by releasing certain guys, I think Star may have saved his job for 1 year but Murphy, Lee Smith, and possibly Jerry Hughes will all be let go next year. You also have guys like Levi Wallace and Josh Norman who are FA. I think Norman may be the likelier one to resign as Levi will be seeking a decent deal from another organization if he continues to play well. 

I know it is early but I think the top 3 needs next year will be:
the RG/RT depending on what Ford stays with,
Pass Rusher (Addison is going to be 33/34, espenesa is still unknown, hughes is going to be at that age too where I do not see him making the team with that price tag as they can save 7+ mil by cutting him), 
#2 CB as mentioned both Norman and Levi will be FA

TE and LB will be other needs but not as important based on the talent they have signed through 2021. 

Wallace will be a RFA so if he balls out this year I could see us putting a 2nd round tender on him. 

I would agree with you top 3 needs to next year. DE and OL will be priority again next off-season and getting multiple guys could be likely. 

On 8/15/2020 at 5:54 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Wallace will be a RFA so if he balls out this year I could see us putting a 2nd round tender on him. 

I would agree with you top 3 needs to next year. DE and OL will be priority again next off-season and getting multiple guys could be likely. 

You may be right, as I thought once someone filled the ERFA for 3 years they get to be come UFA didnt know they have to do 1 more year of RFA. If that is the case then I take back CB#2 being a huge need as they will get him cheap plus, they will have EJ Gaines for 1 year as he took off for covid. Then maybe sign Norman to another 1-2 year deal if he plays well. That does make me feel more comfortable if this is the case and Levi becomes a RFA>

Butler and Jefferson are still guys who could be cut next offseason as their contracts are flexible to move on from if they are huge flops this year. Not to mention Hughes likely someone who can be moved on with, as well as murphy if he some how manages to stick around this year. I know I know I am a broken record but I still think Clowney would be a great addition to this dline and if it is a 1 year tryout to replace murphy  with the money they get in return for star this year and cutting murphy giving him a 1 year tryout for 1 year 13 mil would be great. Worst case scenario he is a bust and they move on, if he plays out and the bills can afford him then pay him if not then they land a 3rd rd pick in 2022. I think if they go with any form of risk of picking up a player this late in to the offseason this would be the one to make to just solidify them being a top 3 defense if not the best in the league. 

55 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

You may be right, as I thought once someone filled the ERFA for 3 years they get to be come UFA didnt know they have to do 1 more year of RFA. If that is the case then I take back CB#2 being a huge need as they will get him cheap plus, they will have EJ Gaines for 1 year as he took off for covid. Then maybe sign Norman to another 1-2 year deal if he plays well. That does make me feel more comfortable if this is the case and Levi becomes a RFA>

Butler and Jefferson are still guys who could be cut next offseason as their contracts are flexible to move on from if they are huge flops this year. Not to mention Hughes likely someone who can be moved on with, as well as murphy if he some how manages to stick around this year. I know I know I am a broken record but I still think Clowney would be a great addition to this dline and if it is a 1 year tryout to replace murphy  with the money they get in return for star this year and cutting murphy giving him a 1 year tryout for 1 year 13 mil would be great. Worst case scenario he is a bust and they move on, if he plays out and the bills can afford him then pay him if not then they land a 3rd rd pick in 2022. I think if they go with any form of risk of picking up a player this late in to the offseason this would be the one to make to just solidify them being a top 3 defense if not the best in the league. 

McDermott doesn’t strike me as the guy who wants the big name DE. Especially one who could be asking for the type for money Clowney is. With how much they rotate the DL I bet he is quite happy with the guys they have the competition there.

Apparently Daryl Johnson has looked good.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

McDermott doesn’t strike me as the guy who wants the big name DE. Especially one who could be asking for the type for money Clowney is. With how much they rotate the DL I bet he is quite happy with the guys they have the competition there.

Apparently Daryl Johnson has looked good.

Yes I know he rotates but I think part of the reason is he doesn't have someone who is capable of staying on the field long enough before getting winded. I just wish they looked at him as he would be a nice upgrade to the pass rusher group over Murphy. That guy still on the roster is killing me as I do not see why he even is there as he has done nothing for this team to deserve what he is getting paid.

I am glad to hear about Daryl, I do hope they look at him over murphy and save the money by letting him go at the deadline. Have they anounced when the 53 man roster has to be locked? I am assuming it has to be early September the latest.

16 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yes I know he rotates but I think part of the reason is he doesn't have someone who is capable of staying on the field long enough before getting winded. I just wish they looked at him as he would be a nice upgrade to the pass rusher group over Murphy. That guy still on the roster is killing me as I do not see why he even is there as he has done nothing for this team to deserve what he is getting paid.

I am glad to hear about Daryl, I do hope they look at him over murphy and save the money by letting him go at the deadline. Have they anounced when the 53 man roster has to be locked? I am assuming it has to be early September the latest.

You could be right about never having someone capable of staying on all the time. It just doesn't seem like a position they're over valuing and prefer quantity with quality over just quality at the position. 

Murphy isn't costing them anything right now. Same reason they didn't cut him in March. Bring him through camp, see if he the light goes back on. If not, they can move on and still save money for 2021. I don't the exact date for the final 53 but I assume it'll be like every other year and come on that Saturday/Sunday after what would have been the final pre-season game.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:37 AM, Trentwannabe said:

You could be right about never having someone capable of staying on all the time. It just doesn't seem like a position they're over valuing and prefer quantity with quality over just quality at the position. 

Murphy isn't costing them anything right now. Same reason they didn't cut him in March. Bring him through camp, see if he the light goes back on. If not, they can move on and still save money for 2021. I don't the exact date for the final 53 but I assume it'll be like every other year and come on that Saturday/Sunday after what would have been the final pre-season game.

Well they are limited on time so eventhough it may not cost them money it may cost them time, and I get it I just hope he is one that is let go as I said he hasnt done anything that is worth the 9.7 mil cap hit he is getting. Move on from him and get the 8 mil to roll over to next year for guys that deserve that money like Milano or Tre

Edited by soflbillsfan

37 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Well they are limited on time so eventhough it may not cost them money it may cost them time, and I get it I just hope he is one that is let go as I said he hasnt done anything that is worth the 9.7 mil cap hit he is getting. Move on from him and get the 8 mil to roll over to next year for guys that deserve that money like Milano or Tre

I agree whole heartedly about his cap hit. But he’s still likely a better option then Mike Love or Daryl Johnson. I don’t think he’s really costing them time. 

In the end I expect he’ll be cut and one of the young guys will be the 4th DE behind Hughes, Addison and Epenesa with Jefferson a De/DT hybrid 

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I agree whole heartedly about his cap hit. But he’s still likely a better option then Mike Love or Daryl Johnson. I don’t think he’s really costing them time. 

In the end I expect he’ll be cut and one of the young guys will be the 4th DE behind Hughes, Addison and Epenesa with Jefferson a De/DT hybrid 

Apparently Epenesa has been getting reps at LDE, 1 tech and 3 tech DT. Pretty interesting that they have him moving so much already.