Washington’s DL projected to be 3rd best in the league

turtle28

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season?utm_source=PFF+Newsletter&utm_campaign=d6e553b56e-FantasyNewsletter_07212020&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ae3f4210bf-d6e553b56e-217104801#main

Chase Young will be the most intriguing player to watch on Washington’s front line. The No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft may be the best pass-rusher to come into the NFL in a decade, and we have seen some excellent ones arrive over that time. He was able to statistically separate himself from players like the Bosa brothers and Myles Garrett during their college careers and could be a transcendent player for a defensive front that has had a lot of good players recently but, perhaps, lacked true star power. Young gives the team five former first-round picks along the defensive line, each of whom has shown flashes. 

Ryan Kerrigan has been consistently excellent for Washington, but he posted the lowest pressure total (37) and PFF grade (63.1) of his career in 2019, and at 32 years old by the time the season starts, he may have his best days behind him. Montez Sweat will have a chance to take a step forward and potentially supplant Kerrigan, along with Young, if he can improve on his rookie performance.

Inside, the former Alabama pairing of Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen should be a pair to be reckoned with, but they were actually outdone in terms of snaps by Matt Ioannidis, who had the best pass-rushing grade (76.6) of the unit. Ioannidis led the team in total pressures (55) and will look to maintain his role despite being surrounded by first-rounders. Ryan Anderson, another one of the few non-first-rounders on Washington's line, saw more snaps in 2019 than he saw in his previous two seasons combined, but he may be the first to lose playing time with Chase Young's arrival.

Pittsburgh gets PFF’s #1 ranking, Phila gets their #2 ranking and Washington is ahead of San Fran.

• Like 1

I’m a little surprised that they had the Redskins rated so highly. Their numbers weren’t huge on some of the young guys we (and other eyeball observers) think more highly of. Plus it’s fashionable to bag on just about everything Washington related at this point. So it’s very promising that despite all that, they’re still placing us in such a lofty position.

Assuming (a) good health and (b) that Chase Young quickly becomes the player we think/hope he will be, I think I’d wager on us moving up a notch to #2 (behind SF, who I still have number one until they show that they’re going to fall off from where they were last year).

It’s just remarkable to me that we could run out a backup 4-man line of Ryan Kerrigan / Tim Settle / Jonathan Allen / Ryan Anderson. That’s definitely a better group that some teams’ starters. It might not be great roster management, to be sure, but it’s pretty impressive when looking at that unit in a vacuum. 

38 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m a little surprised that they had the Redskins rated so highly. Their numbers weren’t huge on some of the young guys we (and other eyeball observers) think more highly of. Plus it’s fashionable to bag on just about everything Washington related at this point. So it’s very promising that despite all that, they’re still placing us in such a lofty position.

Assuming (a) good health and (b) that Chase Young quickly becomes the player we think/hope he will be, I think I’d wager on us moving up a notch to #2 (behind SF, who I still have number one until they show that they’re going to fall off from where they were last year).

It’s just remarkable to me that we could run out a backup 4-man line of Ryan Kerrigan / Tim Settle / Jonathan Allen / Ryan Anderson. That’s definitely a better group that some teams’ starters. It might not be great roster management, to be sure, but it’s pretty impressive when looking at that unit in a vacuum. 

Holy!! I hadn't even considered our backups as a unit. You're right!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Usually someone would write why the group is top 10 and not top 5.  Pretty crazy that we actually have a good enough unit that someone can't really write a hit piece on it. 

• Like 1

@e16bball The truth of it all is that since we had Garcon, DJax, Crowder & JReed in our passing game all together we haven't had a unit where someone would even think of considering us top 10 in the league at anything not to mention top 5.

I think they have us above the 49ers bc their DL may take a step back after trading DeForest Buckner to the Colts.

I also wonder if Ryan Anderson is going to be a DE or a SLB in our 4-3 D. My guess is he’ll play some of both. I think on run downs he's a back up SLB & a back up DE on passing downs.