Any thought on beginning the process of moving Cam Sims to TE?

turtle28

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s essentially a 3-4.... SDH, KPL & Hudson are good coverage LBs. Have to ignore last year bc Manusky refuses to play his good coverage LBs (SDH & JHC) enough when we were nickel. SDH & Holcomb should’ve split time or bc we were in nickel almost 70% of the game, SDH should’ve gotten more snaps and if he had our coverage vs TEs & in the middle of the field would’ve been better.

Except you would have five in the trenches. Sweat and Young wouldn't be worrying about coverage.

20 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's called a 3-4 defense.  But of course, we never properly invested in three-down linebackers.  We got run-stuffers off the scrap heap and had coverage only guys taken in the late rounds, so teams could adjust easily to whatever package we had out on the field.  

Again, no coverage requirements for Sweat and Young. 1 on 1 across the line.

Yes, I realize its completely nuts.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Woz said:

Except you would have five in the trenches. Sweat and Young wouldn't be worrying about coverage.

Well how are you going to cover the flats? Today’s NFL does a lot of quick passing and we’d be susceptible to giving up a lot there, which I guess isn’t that much different when we were in the 3-4 anyway. 

That’s one thing that should improve going back to the 4-3 & coverage against TEs.

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

From my limited knowledge, coverage isn't going to be his strong suit.  

He was apparently making a lot of plays on the back end during training camp practices, that’s why they cut Sean Davis. They cut Sean Davis bc they liked what they saw from Curl.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:50 PM, turtle28 said:

Well how are you going to cover the flats? Today’s NFL does a lot of quick passing and we’d be susceptible to giving up a lot there, which I guess isn’t that much different when we were in the 3-4 anyway. 

That’s one thing that should improve going back to the 4-3 & coverage against TEs.

As I said, it's a gamble/requires really good pass covering linebackers (and as @naptownskinsfan pointed out, probably a good coverage strong safety)