The Eagles are a well-coached team, and it shows on third/fourth downs

Phire

Doug has handled the various mental issues pretty well too. I think this is a stark contrast to the Chip days where Chip treated everyone and everything as pawns. People laughed at Lurie wanting someone with "emotional intelligence." I think it has paid off.

The Eagles had two players deal with mental issues last season in wide receiver Nelson Agholor and right guard Brandon Brooks.

In fact, Pederson used Agholor as an example when he announced Seumalo's benching three weeks ago. Agholor admitted after a loss to Seattle last Nov. 18 that he lost confidence, and he was feeling the pressure of trying to live up to the expectations of being a first-round pick in 2015.

“I’m having a whole lot of fun right now," Agholor said. "I work my butt off and I want to continue to work my butt off because I enjoy this. I really enjoy the game of football and enjoy the process of getting better. I want to go out there and have fun with my teammates.”

Brooks, meanwhile, sat out two games last season because of anxiety that left him vomiting the night before and morning of a game, to the point where he twice had to go to the hospital, thus missing the game on those days.

"It made me just realize that I was taking the game too seriously," Brooks said. "That’s exactly what it is — a game. If you have a mistake out there, [crap], that’s life. Everybody has mistakes.

"I just looked at it completely differently than I do now. I took it a lot more seriously. Mistakes would bother me for days. Now, they don't."

"I think it definitely is more important than the physical [part]," Pederson said about the mental aspects for a football player. "Even though with the physical [part], you get the rep and you get to see yourself at practice or in a game doing it. But being able to see it from afar, I think, helps a player's mental psyche. In Isaac's case, he's had a couple weeks now to see it from a distance, and I fully expect he will be ready to go this week and be prepared."

Seumalo will likely be on the active roster for the game Thursday with right tackle Lane Johnson likely out with a concussion. Seumalo was not on the active roster for the last two games. But even if Seumalo is eligible to play, he will be in a backup role as a tackle.

Hopefully Seumalo bounces back like Agholor and Brooks.

You might be on to something here Phire... Coming out the way we did tonight after just 4 days tells me our staff did a hell of a job with preparation. Also I've grown to enjoy these ballsy DP calls, because he's so confident with them. Not sold on him but tonight certainly boosted him in my eyes.

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

You might be on to something here Phire... Coming out the way we did tonight after just 4 days tells me our staff did a hell of a job with preparation. Also I've grown to enjoy these ballsy DP calls, because he's so confident with them. Not sold on him but tonight certainly boosted him in my eyes.

All this could come crashing down at any moment. But hell were 5-1 and that’s gotta make you wonder.

Archived