The Eagles are a well-coached team, and it shows on third/fourth downs

Phire

5 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I dont think duce needs any love. He has been our running back coach forever now and we still have never developed a half decent back under him.

We also haven't done enough to develop them, grabbing Spray-Tan and some of those RBs aren't getting enough opportunities 

The Oregon guys (Marshall, Barner)

David Fluellen

Terrell Watson

Chris Polk

Bryce Brown

Dion Lewis

Smallwood

9 minutes ago, nlesthought said:
5 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I dont think duce needs any love. He has been our running back coach forever now and we still have never developed a half decent back under him.

We also haven't done enough to develop them, grabbing Spray-Tan and some of those RBs aren't getting enough opportunities 

David Fluellen

Terrell Watson

Chris Polk

Bryce Brown

Dion Lewis

Smallwood

Try again fellas. Duce joined us in 2013 with Chip. Chip was notorious for screwing with the RB situation. Running Murray outside the tackles and running three different run plays out of the playbook into defenses that knew it was coming.

I think a UDFA named Corey Clement has developed about as well as you can for a guy with his expectations. The offense doesn't skip a beat when he's in. What else do you call that? Is he not developed? Most people didn't even think he'd be on the roster. And when you're putting a guy like that on the field that means he can pass protect too. You think Clement was just a competent pass blocker sitting on UDFA? Come on.

How about Barner taking first string snaps in a new offense he's known for like a week... and NOT looking confused...

Oh, and NONE OF OUR RBs have fumbled this year. None. Zero. 

Pick another coach and try again :)

35 minutes ago, Danger said:

We have the highest success rate on 3rd down in the NFL at 53%, and the highest TOP in the league at 35:22 (24:38 for the opposing team)

Stark contrast to the Chip days.

Better than Brady and Rodgers... with Doug calling plays. Let THAT sink in.

I agree with this, as big a Doug hater that I am, it’s time that we start giving him credit. His playcalling has improved and in past weeks he seemed to get all of the blame for bad things and 0 credit for the good stuff. 

The time of possession is what I love the most, I’m a big believer in tiring defenses and pound the ball on the 4th quarter. Last year we had the former and it seems this season we are addig the latter. It seems that’s the identity we are going for and I couldn’t like it more.

This board has been begging for a power back for ages and now that we have it is so fun to watch.

4 hours ago, Phire said:

Try again fellas. Duce joined us in 2013 with Chip. Chip was notorious for screwing with the RB situation. Running Murray outside the tackles and running three different run plays out of the playbook into defenses that knew it was coming.

I think a UDFA named Corey Clement has developed about as well as you can for a guy with his expectations. The offense doesn't skip a beat when he's in. What else do you call that? Is he not developed? Most people didn't even think he'd be on the roster. And when you're putting a guy like that on the field that means he can pass protect too. You think Clement was just a competent pass blocker sitting on UDFA? Come on.

How about Barner taking first string snaps in a new offense he's known for like a week... and NOT looking confused...

I wasn't saying Duce was doing a bad job, I said Duce hasn't been given an opportunity to develop anyone with so much turnover at the position. 8 guys in 4 years not including the vets McCoy, Murray, Sproles & Mathews. 

11 hours ago, nlesthought said:

David Fluellen

Terrell Watson

Chris Polk

Bryce Brown

Dion Lewis

Smallwood

Whatever happened to Bryce Brown? That guy had a ton of talent. He weighed 230 and could run like the wind

I guess his fumbling issues are the main reason he's not on a roster. Showed some serious flashes though in 2012

Bryce Brown at one point was the #1 RB prospect coming out of highschool or something. Had tremendous physical tools. Plenty of programs tried to develop him, I just don't think he had the vision and other intangibles to be more than a good athlete. 

15 hours ago, Phire said:

tumblr_mf3yp2ihpI1r6y67yo6_250.gif

11 hours ago, Phire said:

Bryce Brown at one point was the #1 RB prospect coming out of highschool or something. Had tremendous physical tools. Plenty of programs tried to develop him, I just don't think he had the vision and other intangibles to be more than a good athlete. 

He was a disaster of a person, I think that was his biggest downfall.  

On 10/9/2017 at 4:44 PM, Phire said:

This!! This thread isn’t about his play calling. It’s not about time management or decisions during games.

This is about preparing the team to execute. Can anyone here say the team has looked unprepared? Or confused? Or lacking discipline?

Think about this. Kenjon Barner has been on the team for a matter of days. He took snaps at running back! That is incredibly prepared. Especially in an offense that might check out of plays and audible. They somehow prepared Barner enough to put him on the field with the first team. 

And let’s talk about the audibles. Does anyone else peek at the play clock when Carson starts to audible? I sure do. How many delay of games? How many false starts? How many wrong routes? How many missed assignments? 

We audible at the line and that’s a complex thing to accomplish. Everyone is ready for it. Even guys who rotate in at OL, RB, etc. The entire offense is on the same page. That’s a well coached, well prepared team. 

Well, to be fair, the audibles aren't that complex.  Doug has gone on record saying he has a pass and a run to choose from.  It's not like he's choosing a specific play from the playbook based on the defense.  Still, it is great to see, especially compared to Chip's system which was strictly running the play called, no matter the defensive front.  

I've been very hard on Doug for a lot of the in-game decisions, play calling, and general buffoonery. With that said, you have to give him props for delegating responsibilities and prepping the team.  It's not easy for most HC's to give up responsibility, between the egos and it generally being a profession of perfectionists and control freaks.  Doug has empowered much of his staff to make their own decisions and doesn't step on their toes.  I remember people bashed Andy for that because Jim Johnson ran the defense.  Well, I'd much rather them acknowledge that they are weak in a facet of the game and hire someone that can complement their assets, than simply control everything for the credit.  

11 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Well, to be fair, the audibles aren't that complex.  Doug has gone on record saying he has a pass and a run to choose from.  It's not like he's choosing a specific play from the playbook based on the defense.  Still, it is great to see, especially compared to Chip's system which was strictly running the play called, no matter the defensive front.

I think that’s complex. It’s not necessarily the volume of plays to choose from, but being able to get to the line, digest it, communicate the audible to the team, snap the ball before the play clock, and the fact that nobody on the offense seems to be confused regardless whether it’s guys like Clement or Barner taking snaps. 

Again, how many false starts? Early snaps? Delay of games? How many guys look around confused when Carson starts audibling?

I look for it every time and can’t find it. 

1 minute ago, Phire said:

I think that’s complex. It’s not necessarily the volume of plays to choose from, but being able to get to the line, digest it, communicate the audible to the team, snap the ball before the play clock, and the fact that nobody on the offense seems to be confused regardless whether it’s guys like Clement or Barner taking snaps. 

Again, how many false starts? Early snaps? Delay of games? How many guys look around confused when Carson starts audibling?

I look for it every time and can’t find it. 

It's really not THAT complex, at least not compared to QBs who have the authority to use the entire playbook.   It still requires good discipline, intelligence and guys knowing what their doing which is absolutely a credit to the coaching staff, so don't think that I'm snubbing them, but a lot of teams can/should be able to do that.  It is certainly nice that we're able to audible out of things and seem to have a QB that can successfully identify those scenarios.

Archived