5up 5down vs Jaguars

3rivers

5 Ups

1. Boswell - - Very underrated kicker.

2. Steelers defense - - Yes they gave up a lot of rushing yardage, but the defense has given the offense opportunities to get a lead and the offense has not taken advantage of turnovers.  The best defense is a good offense. Our defense has played well enough for our team to be 5 - 0. I get it that we haven't played Rodgers or Brady or any other great offense, but despite the poor run defense, the D has played solid.  They are better than what they look statistically.

3.  AB - - Good game statistically against one of the rising stars at CB in the NFL.

4. Bell - - Played a solid game and was an effective weapon that was not properly utilized in our offense. Ran well and caught passes well.

5. Joe Haden - - No one seems to talk about him because he has not made splash plays, however, he quietly and quite effectively has improved our secondary.

5 Downs

1. Big Ben - - Get your swagger and MOJO back. You are still one of the best QB's in the league. Shake it it off and move on.

2. Todd Haley - - Poor strategy to pass so much against #1 pass defense and a rush defense below #25. Too much talent not to be top flight offense. No adjustments made after having some issues passing.  First and goal at the five yard line....Run the freaking ball!!!!!!!!!! 

3. Coach Tomlin - - I love and I am a Coach T fan, but he has to step up and get this team back. There is too much talent, too many distractions, too many times the team doesn't play a complete game or play dominant football.  The culture seems to be off, but it is fixable. We have no idea what is going on behind closed doors, but up front, there are a lot of distractions and comments back and forth.  This is on the Head Coach.  Get the team to rally around each other, stop giving the media cannon fodder and play Steelers football.  Winning cures all of this.  Get the team to play to their potential consistently.  They haven't.

4. LB unit.  I love the youth of our LB's and the fact that they are very good at generating a consistent pass rush. However, they make a lot of mental mistakes, miss tackles, have poor angles, etc.  Bud got eaten up on the edge a few times, Shazier and Williams continue to be inconsistent in run support and even JJ was out of position a few times.  LB'ers have consistently been the heart and soul of the Steelers D, so time to get better.

5. Stop beating yourselves!!!! The Steelers scored 9 points on offense and gave up 24 points given up via turnovers.  They lost and NFL game giving up less than 100 yards passing.  Mental mistakes, poor execution and sloppy football lead to continually losing to teams that are not as talented as you are.  This is on the entire team and coaching staff.

Had to take a week long breather after watching that horrible mess.  Re-watched the game with a calmer head.  Here are some of my ups/downs/observations:

The team looked pretty good for the first 13.5 minutes.  In fact, for the first 38 minutes, though not dominant, they looked good enough to win.

AB great job as usual minus the holding penalty on Bryant's first down reverse.

Speaking of, Bryant is not a great short route receiver, he's need to be able to get up to full speed to be effective.

Ben looked decent/good for 2 1/2 quarters.  Then...  but the pick he threw when he targeted JJSS wasn't his fault because Ju slipped on the route.  He also had a TD called back late.  Gipson made a great play on the last INT.  Overall, not a great performance, but not quite as bad as the stats looked.  

Connor did a horrible job of picking up the blitz on Ben's first INT.

Watt looked pretty good, with the except for holding the edge on some run plays, most notably on that last TD run.  

Vance McDonald is a big boy, he's a good blocker when he's able to get good position.  Haley has to avoid getting too cute with him as a pass catcher, just give him some easy short stuff to get him going.  

Love Shazier and he had a great FF, but he has to CTFD at times.  (calm... ) He's quick enough that he has to hold for a second and watch the play develop before committing to running to a spot.  Wait a beat, watch, then go.  Missing too many plays.  Of course, when he hits, it's spectacular. 

Love Artie's closing speed

VW nice sack.

Jesse James good block for Bell/ two whiffs on blocks for Bell

DeCastro horrible pull block on run

Love me some JuJu Smith-Schuster.  Made a couple good catches over the middle.  He just looks like a baller.  I expect good things from him.

Mike Hilton = Mighty Mouse

People giving Mitchell a lot of grief but I saw him clean up a lot of plays that were missed by others.  Celebrating after allowing a 12 yd gain is not a good look, but at least the guy plays with a lot of emotion

Hubbard needs to move his fat rump faster on an interception to try and make a tackle, and make a block once in a while

That's about all I got...

Honestly, after watching the game again, I'm not AS disgusted as I was last Sunday.  Room for improvement?  Most definitely.  Sky is falling?  I don't think so.  

Archived