NBA GDT | '20-'21 | KD returns to GS tonight!

11sanchez11

29 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Gasol is significantly more important than Trez. 

Trez isnt anything to me in the playoffs but Gasol is still crazy good on defense. 

Trez is so underrated now. It's hilarious.

He is significantly more important for the regular season. 

Gasol is definitely more important in the playoffs though. 

I think we'll limit Gasol's mins in the regular season and try and keep his legs fresher for the playoffs where he'll see an obvious uptick in minutes.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Kuzma has definitely been our best player through 3 games.

I'm aware its preseason, but I've been really impressed with how he's played for the most part from defense to passing to shooting.

He's playing a lot more like I want him to.

And, like I said before he's  seemingly deadly from the corner and has hit his shots from there  tonight have been pure this game.

The ones he's taken from the top or wings have all been misses I think though.

Looking at his shot chart from last season he shot 59.4% and 45.5% from the corners, while he was only 32.9% (wing), 19.7% (top), and 21% (wing). 

Unfortunately he's didn't take that many corner threes last year. Only took 32% of his threes from there.

Gasol's passing has got the most attention and deservedly so, but I was already aware how great of a passer he was.

But, Trezz has surprised me with his passing as well. Done a good job at the top of the key finding guys cutting to the rim.

Caruso and Kuzma gonna eat off cuts with those two. THT also looks like he has good awareness for when to cut too.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

37 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

BTW @11sanchez11

Trez is a team leading +17 

Gasol a team worst  -16

Think Los Angeles GIF by ESPN

Gasol played against a combo of the best two 5 man lineups (in net rating) in the entire NBA last years (Suns starting 5 + CP3's OKC finishing lineup), it was expected. 

Trez played played against dudes who won't be in the NBA in a week. 

Booker was 0-4 from three tonight. For such a good shooter he really isn't all that from distance. 

Career 35.4% three point shooter.... meh. I didn't even realize he shot 32.6% in 2018. Brought it up to his career average of 35% last year, but yeah.

Hopefully with Chris Paul he brings it up with some better quality catch and shoot attempts. I'd like to see him in the 37-39 range.

One game sample size but ZIon's free throws looked much better and he definitely looks more fit. Still not in Duke shape but looks way better than the bubble. Hyped to see him and just the whole Pels squad in general this year tbh. Don't think we make the playoffs this year due to the stacked West but we're gonna be good and fun.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Gasol played against a combo of the best two 5 man lineups (in net rating) in the entire NBA last years (Suns starting 5 + CP3's OKC finishing lineup), it was expected. 

Trez played played against dudes who won't be in the NBA in a week. 

Not really knocking Gasol, but its just funny how underrated Trezz has become.

Dude improved offensively last year and was damn near elite efficiency wise and his defensive woes are now getting overstated after that Denver series. Pete (@LakersFIlmRoom) has gone back and watched a lot of his tape after we signed him and said that he really wasn't as bad defensively as people made him out to be and that a lot of his struggles were in part due to who they matched him up with and how Doc Rivers utilized him with the coverages that they ran. Vogel will undoubtedly put him in a better position to succeed and he's surrounded by better defensive bigs to help cover for him and play on the better big men in the low post. Harrell will get more run against centers in the regular season just cause AD doesn't want to have to bang with centers much. Come playoff time it'll mainly be AD/Gasol at center with Trezz guarding more power forwards though. There's nothing we can do about his height or lack of verticality, but I think he's still only 26 years old and don't think he's done growing defensively and I'm confident in our coaching staff and personnel to help mitigate his defensive weaknesses somewhat and definitely better than the Clippers.

He's played pretty well for us already in the few games he's played so far. His defense has looked better and he hasn't played with AD or Gasol much. Passing has been nice. Been big on the boards, especially offensive with 11 in those 3 games. 

He's energy off the bench is infectious. I'm loving what he brings so far, but yeah he will be limited minutes wise more in the playoffs and I'm okay with that.

I just hope Gasol can stay healthy and we don't have to give him too much run in the regular season. If Gasol gets injured, then we'll have to look to target a big man before the trade deadline, but those are probably the easiest asset to acquire.

1 minute ago, Spartica4Real said:

One game sample size but ZIon's free throws looked much better and he definitely looks more fit. Still not in Duke shape but looks way better than the bubble. Hyped to see him and just the whole Pels squad in general this year tbh. Don't think we make the playoffs this year due to the stacked West but we're gonna be good and fun.

Great to hear. I need him to take a decent jump this year with how many nationally televised games the league gave you.

He got Booker coming from the weakside to block Booker into the stands and did it to George in one of those first two games as well.

It's not rocket science that he's got his issues on defense, but its also pretty obvious he was utilized poorly with the Clippers in coverages and match-ups.

That won't happen much here, especially not come playoff time.