Why Sean Payton is here to stay... For now.

whodatworm23

I think most on this fourm all kinda know my opinion on Sean Payton and his ability as a head coach and as a personnel director but thats not what this post is about. Taking my own personal opinions out of the equation, heres why I'm here to tell you that Sean Payton is here to stay at least for the foreseeable future...

1. The NFL landscape.

By nature I'm a defensive guy and I still believe that great defenses win championships but great offenses win games and sell tickets. If you look around the NFL landscape this is still a quarterback driven league and the leauge is still a busniess thats about their bottom line. The trend around the leauge these days which is geared around developing young quarterbacks is pairing these young signal callers with offensive minded coaches that can speed up the develoment process. McVay and Goff, Garrett and Prescott, Peterson and Wentz, etc. This medthod is working, then when you compare many of the defensive minded coaches with these young quarterbacks... Del Rio and Carr, Zimmer and Bridgewater, Pagano and Luck. These coaches appear to be having a hard time keeping their quarterbacks healthy. All of this relates back to a busniess model and in the NFL what that model has become is find a quarterback, develop that quarterback, protect that quarterback and build around that quarterback.

For this reason, Sean Payton still holds tremendous value to the Saints or any NFL franchise for that matter. This is still one of the brightest offensive minds, play designers and play callers in the NFL... Particularly in the passing game. Teams with young quarterbacks such as the Bears and Colts or some of these quarterback needy teams picking high in the draft like the Browns or Jets would love to get their hands on Payton and could care less about his defensive debacles over the last 5 years in New Orleans.

Bottom line... Sean Payton possesses a skill that is good for building the ideal busniess model in the NFL.

As far as the Saints, they may need that skill more now than ever! Drew Brees will be 39 years old very soon and the Saints have shown that they are increasingly more aggressive in the quarterback market recently (Mahomes). Brees will also be a free agent after this season which hightens the anxiety level around the franchise and puts the front office under much more pressure to find that successor. So knowing that a transition to a young quarterback is on the horizon, having a coach with Payton's skill set under contract for another 3 years allows the Saints to have a more detailed plan for the future and makes Payton's contract more about what he will do for this team building their future busniess model instead of just what hes producing on the field right now.

2. The structure of the current roster.

One thing about this roster is the fact that its very young and pretty talented. With the trade of Adrian Peterson and this likley being Zach Striefs last year with the team its a roster that should get even younger in 2018. Loomis, Ireland and Payton appear to have finally hit on a formula thats working as far as restocking this roster with young talent but the one thing they can ill afford to do is allow all that hard work to be derailed by not having a plan in place at the quarterback position beyond Drew Brees. Eventually this young team will develop into a young veteran team and you dont want to be thrusting a young inexperienced quarterback upon them. The better model would be to find that player and have him on the roster developing along with these other young players that way when his time comes (post Brees) he and the team will be ready. Sean Payton above anyone else would be the best option to the Saints to be the guy to make sure that young quarterback is ready.

3. The fanbase.

The truth is... This franchise is still being supported as much as its ever been by its fanbase and as long as that continues it dosent give ownership or managment any incentive to make a move particularly one that would cost the owner as much as firing Payton would cost Benson. Season ticket sales still have a waiting list and Payton and Brees still keep this franchise somewhat relevant.

4. It appears this team wont fall apart this year.

Alot was put into this season as far as the future of the Saints franchise was concerned. So far it appears that this will be a better team than the last couple years and their only gonna get better. Now that might not reflect in their win loss record but I dont see this team falling off the edge to a point where a total rebuild is considered. It will be enough of an improvment to remain with the status quo.

5. Payton is proven.

Based specifically on his ability to coach quarterbacks and field a top offense, Payton is more proven than any other offensive mind the Saints could bring in to help develop the eventual successor to Brees. Payton also has the ear of both GM Mickey Loomis and Owner Tom Benson. They trust Payton and understand that his unique skill set is a rarity in the NFL. In my opinion they have accepted Payton for what he is and understand he has weaknessess. They also acknowledge that Payton himself has taken steps to rectify his short comings by hiring Jeff Ireland and removing himself from many of the personnel decisions that has been detrimental to both himself and the franchise.

Thats it... Once again its not what I personally feel should be done, only what I feel will take place when I remove all bias and look at the situation for what it is.

WHODAT

12 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Good points, although I'm afraid you've jinxed us with number 4.

I dont know Jlowe... I only see this team getting better. Even if that ends up in another 7-9 season I think its still a better 7-9 team. However I see this team winning at least 6 of their remaining 12 games to end 8-8 at worst.

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

I dont know Jlowe... I only see this team getting better. Even if that ends up in another 7-9 season I think its still a better 7-9 team. However I see this team winning at least 6 of their remaining 12 games to end 8-8 at worst.

Yea I agree, the defense is definitely showing some real improvement.  The offense, while protecting the ball well,  looks like they have taken a step back though.  I think 10-6 is our ceiling this year, with 8-8 the most likely outcome.  

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Yea I agree, the defense is definitely showing some real improvement.  The offense, while protecting the ball well,  looks like they have taken a step back though.  I think 10-6 is our ceiling this year, with 8-8 the most likely outcome.  

Dont you get the feeling that the Saints are going young... This is a very young team. Now AP gone and Strief likley in his last year dont you think in a way Loomis if transitioning this roster that way.

How long till that young QB is added?

6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Dont you get the feeling that the Saints are going young... This is a very young team. Now AP gone and Strief likley in his last year dont you think in a way Loomis if transitioning this roster that way.

How long till that young QB is added?

Yea I think we take a QB next draft if a reasonable one is available.  We can't really afford to not draft a QB if one falls into our lap.  I don't wanna reach for a mediocre one, but Brees at 40 years old, it's time to get serious about replacements.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Yea I think we take a QB next draft if a reasonable one is available.  We can't really afford to not draft a QB if one falls into our lap.  I don't wanna reach for a mediocre one, but Brees at 40 years old, it's time to get serious about replacements.

Agreed

Kinda running out of time to be honest... If there is one we like its proven now that you better make a move and go get him because teams are smart, they know who teams like and a QB falling in your lap simply dont happen that often anymore. Look at KC, idenfided Mahomes as there guy and knew they needed to get ahead of the Saints and Texans to land him. They paid the price but they got there guy... Saints may have to consider doing the same.

12 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Kinda running out of time to be honest... If there is one we like its proven now that you better make a move and go get him because teams are smart, they know who teams like and a QB falling in your lap simply dont happen that often anymore. Look at KC, idenfided Mahomes as there guy and knew they needed to get ahead of the Saints and Texans to land him. They paid the price but they got there guy... Saints may have to consider doing the same.

The nice thing for us is we're in a (kinda) similar situation as the Chiefs. They had/have a QB in Alex Smith, so even a wiff on a QB pick is not the end of the world. We still have Brees, so it's not the end of the world if we screw up, yet again, on a QB pick. But the clock is ticking, fast.

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

The nice thing for us is we're in a (kinda) similar situation as the Chiefs. They had/have a QB in Alex Smith, so even a wiff on a QB pick is not the end of the world. We still have Brees, so it's not the end of the world if we screw up, yet again, on a QB pick. But the clock is ticking, fast.

I have my eye on Wyomings Josh Allen... The Saints (and Payton) were enmored with Mahomes due to his physical tools despite the fact that he was coming from an air raid system amd was extremely raw as a prospect. Still they were prepared to draft him at 11 overall because of his upside. 

I see the same with Allen... Hes not as pro ready as guys like Darnold and Rosen and will likley go after those guys but Allen has the most physical gifts of any of them. People are down on Allen right now due to his season but Darnold also is having a down year. Still I see Darnold as the top QB off the board with Rosen behind him. I could see Allen come off the board in the back half of the top 10 or even as late as top 15. Still hes the guy I believe will peak the intrest of the Saints and Payton and if they fall for him as they did Mahomes then they better get aggressive and go get him and not think he'll just fall into their lap.

Archived