The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

14 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

A lot of CBs for Barnes/Mont to UNC

Disappointing, but not really a surprise. Barnes' mother is a UNC alum and he and Montilus want to play together, add in the coaching change here (they were close to Davis) and it's not a shock. Makes it imperative to keep Gouraige and/or land NPF though, and tbh, I'm not confident in either. Good thing we flipped a couple OL before the early signing period because we'd be in serious trouble we hadn't. 

48 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Disappointing, but not really a surprise. Barnes' mother is a UNC alum and he and Montilus want to play together, add in the coaching change here (they were close to Davis) and it's not a shock. Makes it imperative to keep Gouraige and/or land NPF though, and tbh, I'm not confident in either. Good thing we flipped a couple OL before the early signing period because we'd be in serious trouble we hadn't. 

It's not trending in the right direction for us on those two, but we still have a shot with the visit. Interestingly enough, a reliable insider is feeling optimistic about Gouraige AND NPF. That would be quite a change for NPF. We'll see what happens from here.

Personally, I think recruiting rankings are overrated for OLs. OL success more comes down to coaching, talent evaluation, and the S&C program. Look at Wisconsin. Over the past decade, they've put a ton of OLs into the NFL and currently have five OLs starting in the NFL (would be six if Buffalo didn't match the Rams' offer on Groy). None of those guys were four-star recruits. Hevesy did very impressive things with Mississippi State's OL despite not having the talent we currently do.

Edited by jrry32

2 hours ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Willing to bet that Seider leaves after NSD, a bit too much smoke out there at this point. Why Mullen felt the need to move him to TE coach I have no idea. 

It seems quite likely. It's unfortunate. He's a great recruiter, but he can't put his ego aside. Knox is a better HB Coach.

9 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Would expect Boykin and Caleb Johnson to pop soon. 

Chatfield is also one to keep an eye on. He's reportedly feeling us. That could really help us with Silvera. We're also trying to make moves on Montilus and Barnes this week. They're tending towards NC, but if we can get them in this weekend on an OV, that might change the game.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:12 AM, Remixxxxxxx said:

ain't happenin' 

We'll see. Spivey is saying that he thinks they'll visit this weekend and will know Wednesday after they meet with Hevesy.

EDIT: Josh Newberg, a Nole Insider, just CB'd NPF to UF. Urbz still has the last visit, so they should be considered the favorites, but things are trending in the right direction for us.

Second EDIT: Gouraige and NPF will visit this weekend. We'll find out about Montilus and Barnes today or tomorrow.

Edited by jrry32

6 hours ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Seider likely leaving for Penn State. Mullen better have Larry Scott on the first plane to Gainesville already. 

It's done. He'll be the WR Coach there. They've known for at least a week. We reportedly are going to act fast when it comes to his replacement.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's done. He'll be the WR Coach there. They've known for at least a week. We reportedly are going to act fast when it comes to his replacement.

I'm wondering if Barnes/Montilus moving their visit back has anything to do with that. Their primary recruiter, Chad Scott, is rumored to be a potential replacement for Seider. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Bummer - would've liked to keep him around; though, Chad Scott would be a good replacement. 

If we end up with NPF, Boykin, Chatfiled and Silvera I'll be over the moon - hell of a finish if it ends up like that.