Irish Wolfhounds Expansion Sim

EirePacker

• 1 month later...

NFL DRAFT

As feared the 1st 7 picks decimated the Wolfhounds board.

Our top 3 ranked Defensive ends, our top 2 Right tackle targets and our top 2 Cornerback prospects were all selected.

With no trade back offer of value on the table, the wolfhounds select:

1.8) Kyle Hamilton - Safety - Notre Dame.

1.29) George Karlaftis - Edge - Purdue

2.40) Andrew Booth - Cornerback - Clemson

3.72) Nakobe Dean - Linebacker - Georgia

3.99) Perrion Winfrey - Defensive Line - Oklahoma

4.112) Daniel Bellinger - Tight End - SDSU

4.124) Calvin Austin - Wide Reciever - Memphis

4.125) Zyon McCullum - Cornerback - Sam Houstan State

6.199) Donovan West - Offensive Line - Arizona State

Edited by EirePacker

UDFA

OT: Ryan Van Denmark, Dare Rosenhal

IOL: Alec Lindstrom, Jason Poe

DE: Luiji Vilain

LB: Aaron Hansford

SAF: Markquesse Bell

QB: Carson Strong

RB: Tyler Goodson

WR: Kevin Austin Jr

P: Ryan Stonehouse

K: Jonathon Garibay

LS: Cole Adomitis

Edited by EirePacker

A few thoughts now that we've finally hit the weekend and I've caught up  fully on the past 24 hours (between work and the time zone difference I only got to watch the draft today).

I was hoping a quarterback or two would be taken in the 1st seven picks pushing of the below 7 players (preferably one of the edge rushers) , but no joy.

• OT: Icky, Neal
  • Edge: Hutch, Thibs, Walker
  • CB: Sauce, Stingley

My next preference was to trade back as I had Hamilton & Cross in a tier of their own slightly below the above group, but I didn't want to miss out on them by dropping to far and the value offered in trades ended up to be poor.

I think fit played a lot into the decision to pick Hamilton over Cross in the end.

With Slater already protecting Burrows blindside and Cross projecting much more favourably on the left side of the line, Cross seemed a bit redundant.

Hamilton on the other hand is a great prospect who I probably dropped a bit due to nit picking issues such as his combine testing (though he plays much faster in pads).

Ideally I could have dropped back to the 12ish range and selected him their but for the sake of a few picks and the chance of him going before then I'm happy with the pick overall

On 4/29/2022 at 6:58 AM, EirePacker said:

NFL DRAFT

As feared the 1st 7 picks decimated the Wolfhounds board.

Our top 3 ranked Defensive ends, our top 2 Right tackle targets and our top 2 Cornerback prospects were all selected.

With no trade back offer of value on the table, the wolfhounds select:

1.8) Kyle Hamilton - Safety - Notre Dame.

1.29) George Karlaftis - Edge - Purdue

2.40) Andrew Booth - Cornerback - Clemson

3.72) Nakobe Dean - Linebacker - Georgia

3.99) Perrion Winfrey - Defensive Line - Oklahoma

4.112) Daniel Bellinger - Tight End - SDSU

4.124) Calvin Austin - Wide Reciever - Memphis

4.125) Zyon McCullum - Cornerback - Sam Houstan State

6.199) Donovan Smith - Offensive Line - Arizona State

I like it, is Donovan Smith Dohnovan West? We either draft similar prospects or at least I considered them if we didn't. Kyle Hamilton at 7 for me and 8 for you, I liked George late first, I took Kyler Gordon and had Booth as my next option but I picked a little before you maybe 38 (or 39 I traded one of them down)? . Dean was who I took after Gordon, but at 43 and you got him after Booth, but at a better price. Winfrey wasn't someone I was as high on, but my pick where I considered DT was 72 he was was on my board for later if I was going to address it with my fourths if he were there I liked too many of the next tier though. Bellinger was on the TE group I was picking from, I just ended up with Kolar in that range. Austin intrigued me, but I went with a different slot in Khalil Shakir. Zyon was someone I thought about those CBs with freaky athleticism and size and you didn't over pay on the traits. Dohnovan West was someone I liked early on and might have had in my mid-season mock for my team as that's when I liked him most. I'm not super familiar with your team, but I know you have Burrow. I like the Hamilton/Karlaftis/Booth/Dean  foursome to really define your defense.

14 hours ago, Trojan said:

I like the Hamilton/Karlaftis/Booth/Dean  foursome to really define your defense.

Cheers mate, Defence was definetly the main aim of the draft, In Free Agency i really wanted to focus on Burrow so i signed James Daniels and traded for Shaq Mason to upgrade the interior of my offensive line and keep Burrow clean.

After that i signed JuJu and and Howard as i felt like DPJ and Quez Watkins were high end #3's but lacking as a #2 option across from Hopkins.

My passing game this year should be very balanced and be able to attack teams weaknesses as required.

I was hoping to draft a Running Back but the value/oppertunity never came.

Ive left my roster at 89 players while i keep an eye on the running back market before next season

53 Man Roster Projection (Locks)

QB: Burrow, Minshew

RB: Boone, Benjiman, Ragas 

TE: Boyle, Oj Howard, Bellinger

WR: Hopkins, Juju, DPJ, Watkins, C Austin

OL: Slater, Daniels, West, Mason, Conklin, Forsythe

19/ 25

1 * RB

1 *TE

3 * OL

1 * Undecided position

DE: Ngakoue, Ossai, Karlaftis, Lewis, Garvis

DL: SDJ, Gallimore, Winfrey, Settle

LB: Kwiatkowski, Barnes, Dean

CB: Fuller, Melifonwo, Henderson, Booth, Z McCollum

SAF: Hamilton, Philips, Boston, Sterns

21/25

1 * DL

1 * LB

2 * DB

So with that ive 40 out of 50 offensive & defensive roster spots locked in.

QB:

Bubble - A Gordon, C Strong

Going by past years ive kept 2 qbs on the 53 man roster which leaves Gordon & Strong to battle it out for a PS spot.

RB:

Bubble - C Huntley, J Hawkins, T Goodson

The roster is lacking a #1 option so ill be monitoring the FA market. One of Huntley, Hawkins and Goodson to make the Ps Squad.

TE:

Bubble - B Hopkins, K Yeboah, N Eubanks

Ill probably carry 4 TE's so Hopkins, Yeboah & Eubanks are to compete for the final TE spot on the 53 man roster.

WR:

Bubble - J Adams, K Austin Jr, D Newsome, K Coutee

Ive 5 quality options locked in for the 53 man roster, the other will compete for maybe 1 spot if not just for the PS if i only carry 5 receivers into the season.

OT:

Bubble - D Rosenhal, R V Denmark

A lot will depend on Conklins medicals for this position group. I'll be keeping an eye on the Vet OT market. Jones at swing OT also provides the flexibility to slot into guard if needs be.

IOL:

Bubble - C Green, Y Durant D Moore,  A Lindstrom, J Poe, M Jordon, S Hutcherson

I expect to carry 9 or 10 OL on the 53 man roster, so four of the bubble players have a chance. Both T & G spots have starters locked in while the center job is up for grabs. West is the front runner at the moment but Durant, Lindstrom & Poe all have a chance to stake their claim. Another option if theirs no standout is James Daniels slotting into center with Josh Jones slotting into guard.

EDGE: 

Bubble: R Johnson, L Vilain

Barring injury, the projected 5 roster group seems fairly set. The group lacks star power but has strong depth to keep everyones legs fresh.

IDL:

Bubble - Davion Nixon, D Stills, T Clark, M Wilson

Theres one spot up for grabs on the IDL, its a deep and talented group overall.

LB:

Bubble - E Thompson, J tavai, J Bachie, D Mosses, A Hansford

I expect to keep 4 LB's on the roster, Leaving one spot open for the above 5 to compete for.

DB:

Bubble - T Graham, L Baracoo, J Moreland, D Baker, T Williams, O Griffen, JR Reed, Epps, T Coyle, M Bell

Thers a lot of competition here for 2 spots, Both the CB and SAF groups on the 53 man roster are 4 deep in terms of capable starters so ST's will factor in to the final decision.

ST:

Bubble - Blankenship, Garibay, Charlton, Stonehouse, Wirtel, Adomtis

I brought in competition for TC at all 3 ST positions so the battles should be interesting.

Edited by EirePacker
Bad Maths 😂
  • Like 1