Need Help with Xbox 360 E

Tyronnosaurus

So I’ve had a 360 for a long time and still play it. Never got the red ring of death and it’s only frozen a couple times.

I have the 360 E: 

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-XBOX-360-250GB-Console/dp/B00D9FQAM0

Few questions:

1) When I play games it is REALLY loud, like the fan. Sounds like it’s revving up and I think it’ll blow up lol. Been doing this for years. Is this because it is old and nearing it’s end? Or could it be dust that needs to be cleaned? Can this be fixed?

2) Looks like I've been playing without a hard drive all these years lol. Can someone send me a link to the hard drive I should look to buy? I know I want the 250 GB. I saw that if you install the games on your actual system and hard drive it will be a lot quieter. True?

3) Will all Xbox 360 games play on all the Xbox 360 versions? I.e. the slim

thanks for any help. I can still play, it’s just very, very annoying.

12 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

So I’ve had a 360 for a long time and still play it. Never got the red ring of death and it’s only frozen a couple times.

I have the 360 E: 

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-XBOX-360-250GB-Console/dp/B00D9FQAM0

Few questions:

1) When I play games it is REALLY loud, like the fan. Sounds like it’s revving up and I think it’ll blow up lol. Been doing this for years. Is this because it is old and nearing it’s end? Or could it be dust that needs to be cleaned? Can this be fixed?

2) Looks like I've been playing without a hard drive all these years lol. Can someone send me a link to the hard drive I should look to buy? I know I want the 250 GB. I saw that if you install the games on your actual system and hard drive it will be a lot quieter. True?

3) Will all Xbox 360 games play on all the Xbox 360 versions? I.e. the slim

thanks for any help. I can still play, it’s just very, very annoying.

1. Yes, cleaning out the dust will help quite a lot. Your Xbox is having a hard time providing good airflow at lower RPMs because it's so backed up with dust. In order to provide better airflow, it has to kick up to max speed. Over a long enough period of time, this could shorten the lifespan of the console. It's definitely a good idea to clean it out as it'll run quieter/cooler and thus have a longer lifespan.

2. You're looking for an Xbox 360 Internal HDD. Here are two links, one to the official HDD, which is a little bit more expensive, and one to an unofficial HDD. Both should work based on the reviews.

It should also be much quieter when you install it as the disc no longer spins when you play the game. It runs the game purely off the HDD and the disc is more or less just used as a "key" to verify you own the game.

3. Yep, every 360 game works on every 360 model. No differences in capabilities.

5 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

1. Yes, cleaning out the dust will help quite a lot. Your Xbox is having a hard time providing good airflow at lower RPMs because it's so backed up with dust. In order to provide better airflow, it has to kick up to max speed. Over a long enough period of time, this could shorten the lifespan of the console. It's definitely a good idea to clean it out as it'll run quieter/cooler and thus have a longer lifespan.

2. You're looking for an Xbox 360 Internal HDD. Here are two links, one to the official HDD, which is a little bit more expensive, and one to an unofficial HDD. Both should work based on the reviews.

It should also be much quieter when you install it as the disc no longer spins when you play the game. It runs the game purely off the HDD and the disc is more or less just used as a "key" to verify you own the game.

3. Yep, every 360 game works on every 360 model. No differences in capabilities.

Thanks! I ordered the hard drive.

As far as cleaning, is it easy to do yourself or is it best to take it somewhere?

2 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Thanks! I ordered the hard drive.

As far as cleaning, is it easy to do yourself or is it best to take it somewhere?

I've never cleaned the 360E, but if you're comfortable with tech and/or feel confident following a Youtube tutorial, you should have nothing to worry about. I found this vid. It's a bit long, but pretty good quality and in depth. You can probably skip around in it or even play it back at 1.25 speed to save time as well.

Of course if you're not comfortable with any of that, paying someone to clean it is probably a possibly.