-$95 million ... Saint cap situation and what to do with Brees.

Dome

Any trade discussion that involves Lattimore or Thomas if I was the Saints I would start negotiations off with asking 2 first round picks and let compensation be lowered from there.

A trade of Thomas to Jacksonville since they have 2 1sts, the 2nd being #25, I'd probably try and pry #25 and #33 (their own 2nd) off of them for Thomas.  It would obviously be a hit to the WR corp regardless but with that value getting Chris Olave at the top of the 2nd to replace Thomas would help lower the hit.  Though I think the main problem is that trading him is almost impossible due to the fact of the guaranteed money that's currently spread over many years would get fast forwarded to this year and put the team further into the negative.  Trading him before June 1st the Saints actually lose an additional 1.2 mil from the current cap situation, if they wait till post June 1st then it's 12.8 mil saving.  So maybe work out a trade with the Jaguars where they draft players we want at #25 and #33 and after June 1st we send them Thomas?

For Lattimore any trade for him would just pure savings.  I would prefer if we could resign him for a deal similar to White, the 4/69 deal.  A little more than I would hope to pay him but he's definitely worth it when he's motivated.  A trade of him I would think should end no lower than a 1st and 3rd.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

Any trade discussion that involves Lattimore or Thomas if I was the Saints I would start negotiations off with asking 2 first round picks and let compensation be lowered from there.

A trade of Thomas to Jacksonville since they have 2 1sts, the 2nd being #25, I'd probably try and pry #25 and #33 (their own 2nd) off of them for Thomas.  It would obviously be a hit to the WR corp regardless but with that value getting Chris Olave at the top of the 2nd to replace Thomas would help lower the hit.  Though I think the main problem is that trading him is almost impossible due to the fact of the guaranteed money that's currently spread over many years would get fast forwarded to this year and put the team further into the negative.  Trading him before June 1st the Saints actually lose an additional 1.2 mil from the current cap situation, if they wait till post June 1st then it's 12.8 mil saving.  So maybe work out a trade with the Jaguars where they draft players we want at #25 and #33 and after June 1st we send them Thomas?

For Lattimore any trade for him would just pure savings.  I would prefer if we could resign him for a deal similar to White, the 4/69 deal.  A little more than I would hope to pay him but he's definitely worth it when he's motivated.  A trade of him I would think should end no lower than a 1st and 3rd.

We lost but Lattimore balled in the playoffs... Im resigning him.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

We lost but Lattimore balled in the playoffs... Im resigning him.

Dennis Allen interviewing with Eagles today... Unlikely but if he gets the job the Saints are in a prime position to make major changes defensively.

Were a hybrid by nature but if the team is unable to retain Henndrickson due to cap reasons and they lose Nielson and Allen, id like to see a switch to a base 34 front with Davenport and Baun off the edges.

3 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Dennis Allen interviewing with Eagles today... Unlikely but if he gets the job the Saints are in a prime position to make major changes defensively.

Were a hybrid by nature but if the team is unable to retain Henndrickson due to cap reasons and they lose Nielson and Allen, id like to see a switch to a base 34 front with Davenport and Baun off the edges.

It does seem like we might have the outside/DL players for a 3-4, but I'd be a little worried about the ILBs.  

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

It does seem like we might have the outside/DL players for a 3-4, but I'd be a little worried about the ILBs.  

Jordan would bbe excllent especially in his latter year as hes slowly becoming just a power player.

Onyemata would be a STUD with his quickness and size opposite of him!!!

Rankins is done... No way they bringing him back. Brown is a cap casualty so a 34 nose would be a need but we got some young depth here but not a starter. We'd need depth at ends too.

Davenport and Baun were MONSTERS in college as 34 OLbers and i feel Granderson is athletic enough to make the switch. 

Davis can play it at ILB and yes wed have to invest in the LB position but we need to do that anyway.

Its just in our base front... Hybrid is our true D. But even in hybrid we can go 3-3-5.

16 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Jordan would bbe excllent especially in his latter year as hes slowly becoming just a power player.

Onyemata would be a STUD with his quickness and size opposite of him!!!

Rankins is done... No way they bringing him back. Brown is a cap casualty so a 34 nose would be a need but we got some young depth here but not a starter. We'd need depth at ends too.

Davenport and Baun were MONSTERS in college as 34 OLbers and i feel Granderson is athletic enough to make the switch. 

Davis can play it at ILB and yes wed have to invest in the LB position but we need to do that anyway.

Its just in our base front... Hybrid is our true D. But even in hybrid we can go 3-3-5.

Yeah, I was thinking a 3-3-5 might be worthwhile since we are normally in a nickel package anyways.  Though it makes you a little worse in run defense, it in theory improves pass defense.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

Yeah, I was thinking a 3-3-5 might be worthwhile since we are normally in a nickel package anyways.  Though it makes you a little worse in run defense, it in theory improves pass defense.

Exactly but id like to see a hybrid base 34 / 3-3-5.

Heavy 34 on 1st and 2nd down... Hybrid 3-3-5 on passing downs.

If we lose Hendrickson in FA and I think we might... We need to take better advantage of the talent we have. 

Onyemata and Jordan would be excellent DEs in a 3 man front and Davenport and Baun could be exciting edge rushers. Davis can play it but hes on thue back half of his career so investing in the ILB would be a must but its not like we dont need to start that process anyway.

I hope we're done talking about a Michael Thomas trade. Yes?
The guy got paid AND THEN posted records. Yeah, this year was a bust, yet he tried even though he had a torn up leg. Kudos.

I'd say the same about Kamara. He got paid, AND THEN balled out!!

You don't get rid of guys who give that to the team that gave them their pay. That's leadership, that's commitment. MT isn't going anywhere soon for any amount of 1st round picks that are big "???". He's the real deal, he's got a lot of prime left, and his frustrations will become product next season. Just watch.

I think MT will be a guy who will restructure for this team. They've already shown they'll pay him, and they'll do it again.

20 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I hope we're done talking about a Michael Thomas trade. Yes?
The guy got paid AND THEN posted records. Yeah, this year was a bust, yet he tried even though he had a torn up leg. Kudos.

I'd say the same about Kamara. He got paid, AND THEN balled out!!

You don't get rid of guys who give that to the team that gave them their pay. That's leadership, that's commitment. MT isn't going anywhere soon for any amount of 1st round picks that are big "???". He's the real deal, he's got a lot of prime left, and his frustrations will become product next season. Just watch.

I think MT will be a guy who will restructure for this team. They've already shown they'll pay him, and they'll do it again.

I agree... The only thing is MT is a different dude with a different mindset. Make no mistake hes trying to put together a Hall of Fame career, thats why I cant see MT being ok with Taysom Hill as the QB full time. Now Winston... MT knows he will keep putting up big numbers with him. Then it comes down to how much bad blood is there behind the scenes? Will MT view a trade as best for his career? I doubt it, I feel the best for both parties is MT to get healthy for 2021 and form a connection with Winston and show in 2021 that both the Sainta and MT will be just fine.

14 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I agree... The only thing is MT is a different dude with a different mindset. Make no mistake hes trying to put together a Hall of Fame career, thats why I cant see MT being ok with Taysom Hill as the QB full time. Now Winston... MT knows he will keep putting up big numbers with him. Then it comes down to how much bad blood is there behind the scenes? Will MT view a trade as best for his career? I doubt it, I feel the best for both parties is MT to get healthy for 2021 and form a connection with Winston and show in 2021 that both the Sainta and MT will be just fine.

Yes!

On 1/22/2021 at 7:47 PM, whodatworm23 said:

Man... Im eating my words on Winston right now. Just finnished breaking down his 2019 game film.

So bad, ugly football!

Look at some of the situational before you eat your words too fast. He was already frustrated and entering a year with his 3rd head coach in as many seasons. Not a good recipe for a guy who was always winning. Let's see what the offseason brings.

38 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Look at some of the situational before you eat your words too fast. He was already frustrated and entering a year with his 3rd head coach in as many seasons. Not a good recipe for a guy who was always winning. Let's see what the offseason brings.

I wanna believe man but I cant ignore my eyes... It could have easily been 40+ Ints and the footwork in the pocket was horrific. Even many of his big plays felt like he lucked into it or got away with something.

It almost felt like he was just chunkin it up and hopin for the best for the most part. Some of the INTs were the worst thrown balls ive ever seen on tape.

It was bad...

• Like 1