How to fix our Defense

Dawgpoun8017

On 1/23/2021 at 9:44 AM, candyman93 said:

I’ll be curious as to how Berry feels about the secondary. I have to imagine he feels fine with Denzel (despite his injuries), Ronnie, and he’s not giving up on Grant. I think you can add secondary help and depth in free agency. Getting a #2 CB who can be solid shouldn’t be difficult.

The front 7 is where the draft capital probably ends up going.

Berry sounded very strong about Greedy and Delpit being a big part of the 2021 defense in his post season Zoom. But I definitely agree we need to have to get a solid #2 who can start in a pinch if Ward goes out with an injury. This is where I would love to have a guy like Lattimore who is a #1 himself

On 1/24/2021 at 7:54 AM, #32 said:

Assuming Woods is retained, Berry will support his defensive strategy by filling the holes with solid players who are early in their careers and improving.  If Woods likes the 3 safety d backfield, I can see adding Hooker or resign Joseph plus use 3rd round pick on S.  For CB, Ward and Williams starters and resign Mitchell or Johnson plus 3rd round pick on CB.  For LB, resign Goodson and use 1-2 round on impact player.  Use the other 1-2 on DE or DT BPA.  For DT, I would use FA. The  For DE, I would use FA. I believe you can get NFL starters for S and LB in 3rd round. I believe Woods strategy for Defense is pressure on QB which means using FA and top two picks on front seven with 3 S for stopping TE, RB screens, and deep passses.

Yeah, Woods isnt going anywhere. Berry spent last offseason making Baker comfortable with the fortified offensive line, and tight end and bought time with guys on 1 year deals on defense, this is the offseason where we go all the way in for defense. 

As far as the Hooker thing, im all in on that, I wouldn't mind signing him and drafting Andre Cisco in the 4th

As far as pressure, I think we just relied on old, stale legs to get to the QB up front. We need all relatively young, fresh legs to get after the QB

23 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

As far as pressure, I think we just relied on old, stale legs to get to the QB up front. We need all relatively young, fresh legs to get after the QB

Yep. As much as LB needs attention and the secondary needs depth, I think we need to keep pouring resources into the D-line. A front 4 who can consistently pressure and get to the QB without having to blitz much (like the G-men when they went on their run) would be ideal.

11 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Yep. As much as LB needs attention and the secondary needs depth, I think we need to keep pouring resources into the D-line. A front 4 who can consistently pressure and get to the QB without having to blitz much (like the G-men when they went on their run) would be ideal.

I actually want to revamp the bench as well, the only guy I think that is worth a damn is Vincent Taylor who flashed while he was in and Jordan Elliot. I am a fan of Clayborn but he is going to be a year older and I feel we can get a guy in his 20's to do what he did (Efe Obada, Dawaune Smoot) for a reasonable price.

Edited by MSURacerDT55