Jaguars to hire Trent Baalke as GM

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Shad said that Urban and Trent have contracts that are the same length; “a long time”

So much for this being a one year trial thing. 

Meh, not sure they're going to say anything different at an intro presser.

Hope it is truthfully because that means the relationship/talent acquisition side is working.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Meh, not sure they're going to say anything different at an intro presser.

Hope it is truthfully because that means the relationship/talent acquisition side is working.

What do you mean? He could have said that he didn’t want to talk about contract length yet, as he did when refusing to say the exact contract lengths. But saying that they have the same length contracts and they’re “a long time” would suggest that this wasn’t a short term hire and he’s expected to be in that role for as long as Urban is expected to be.

1 minute ago, pwny said:

What do you mean? He could have said that he didn’t want to talk about contract length yet, as he did when refusing to say the exact contract lengths. But saying that they have the same length contracts and they’re “a long time” would suggest that this wasn’t a short term hire and he’s expected to be in that role for as long as Urban is expected to be.

If something happens, and for some reason this doesn't work out/Baalke and Urban butt heads, I'm not worried about his contract length.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Alright.

If something happens, and for some reason this doesn't work out/Baalke and Urban butts heads, I'm not worried about his contract length.

I was referring to the speculation that this hire was intended to be a short term thing until Urban was ready to take over full control, not about concerns of how they’ll work together.

Just now, pwny said:

I was referring to the speculation that this hire was intended to be a short term thing until Urban was ready to take over full control.

I never had that thought myself. Don't think you keep a GM/hire a GM just to send him packing in a year. BUT, if it doesn't go well or there is clearly an issue, you can part ways ala Rhule and Hurney.

Just now, .Buzz said:

I never had that thought myself. Don't think you keep a GM/hire a GM just to send him packing in a year. BUT, if it doesn't go well or there is clearly an issue, you can part ways ala Rhule and Hurney.

Yeah, sending him packing shouldn’t be an issue. And my apologies if my original post wasn’t clear enough.

I had just seen various people speculating that Urban Meyer was eventually going to take on more of a Belicheck role (with more delegation, I’m sure) where he controls both sides, and that they hired Baalke so that they could have someone with a lot of experience show Urban the ropes and ease him into that before being phased out. With them both having the same number of years on their contract, I can’t imagine that was what they were actually going for. 

• Like 1

Just now, pwny said:

Yeah, sending him packing shouldn’t be an issue. And my apologies if my original post wasn’t clear enough.

I had just seen various people speculating that Urban Meyer was eventually going to take on more of a Belicheck role (with more delegation, I’m sure) where he controls both sides, and that they hired Baalke so that they could have someone with a lot of experience show Urban the ropes and ease him into that before being phased out. With them both having the same number of years on their contract, I can’t imagine that was what they were actually going for. 

Ahhh, that makes more sense.

Man, not sure I like the thought of that had that happened/been the case. Can't say I'm a fan of those types of hierarchies where a HC basically runs the whole ship. Prefer the partnership where a HC has final say ala Reid/Carroll/Shanny etc.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Like I don't think Rhule sends Hurney packing like they did it they're thoughts/vision aligned and made a change just to do it.

Yeah. I’m not sure if you watched the whole thing, but Urban hammered really hard on the idea that they need to be in complete alignment on everything. He brought it up multiple times, to the point that it’d very clear that’s his #1 thing with this hire; that they have to work together to make it work and I’d venture that he’s not going to put up with any of the nonsense or power struggle bs. 

• Like 1