Jaguars to hire Trent Baalke as GM

.Buzz

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Eh, yeah I would've preferred Baalke myself.

Baalke is probably a better evaluator than Farmer, but with all the behind closed doors drama we’ve had over the past few years, anyone who has been involved in that kind of drama anywhere, I want no part of and is automatically at the bottom of the list for me.

If you could guarantee Urban is going to be the major team builder and Baalke is going to be a good soldier and follow along and cause no drama, then the move is just kinda like “okay, I guess that’s a thing and it’s whatever”. But the last time we brought in a guy known for causing drama when he didn’t like the way things were going, we watched Greg Olson run his mouth about Blake years after he ran his mouth about Blaine.

I just want drama free football ops. That’s my only request right now. 

49 minutes ago, pwny said:

Baalke is probably a better evaluator than Farmer, but with all the behind closed doors drama we’ve had over the past few years, anyone who has been involved in that kind of drama anywhere, I want no part of and is automatically at the bottom of the list for me.

If you could guarantee Urban is going to be the major team builder and Baalke is going to be a good soldier and follow along and cause no drama, then the move is just kinda like “okay, I guess that’s a thing and it’s whatever”. But the last time we brought in a guy known for causing drama when he didn’t like the way things were going, we watched Greg Olson run his mouth about Blake years after he ran his mouth about Blaine.

I just want drama free football ops. That’s my only request right now. 

I feel that.

Idk, I'm just going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. This isn't just Khan, Urban has a relationship with him dating back to Alex Smith when Urban was coaching him at Utah. Hence why maybe I'm not as worried? I'm sure he knows the personality/if it'll jive with Urban and co.

I just feel like the GM that pairs/paired with Urban was strictly for scouting and doing the day to day duties behind the scene for Urban. Baalke, as long as he doesn't go full crazy, should be solid in that role.

52 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

kiiiiiinda sounds like Khan told Baalke "if you can get Urban Meyer here, the GM gig will be yours" 

Khan has been talking to him since last Super Bowl though.

If we were picking 2nd overall Urban isn't our coach. Pretty confident about that. Think the job with Lawrence + Khan's willingness to spend money to upgrade facilities/let him overpay guys to come here on his staff did it more than anything Baalke could say lol.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

@N4L wasn’t it widely believed that Baalke was the anonymous source that was feeding info trying to cause a rift between Harbaugh and ownership?

That was certainly one of the main theories out there at the time, although I wont pin it all on Baalke. It probably was more than just one particular person. 

The 49ers were a leaky ship. There was all sorts of reports that were coming out trying to make every facet of our franchise look bad. One theory that was floated publicly by a beat writer (or two) was that it was Paraag Menthe, who is our salary cap czar to this day. He still negotiates contracts for us and is an integral part of our front office. 

Baalke was fired, and John Lynch told Jed York that he would interview for the job but that if anyone leaked that he was interviewing, that he would pass on the job. Its part of what made it so shocking when he was hired. Someone told me we hired him and I thought it was to be our secondary coach lol didnt even know he had interviewed to be the GM. 

Since that time, we have been about as tight lipped an organization as there is in the NFL. We hid Joe Staley's retirement from the league so that we could find his replacement without telegraphing our intention (traded Buckner for wirfs but then Trent williams became available). 

So, its tough for me to pin it 100% on Baalke, but he absolutely is one of the main suspects, and when he was finally fired, the leaks stopped. Take that for what its worth.  

With the recent comments from Shad on how he took over roster control after Coughlin left, this looks to me like he brought in Baalke last year to get a head start on the scouting dept and be here for the transition with little to do with Caldwell.

Also, let's not forget: